PC Lights Up But Does Not Boot

KSP

Hi guys,

So I just finished installing my Maximus XI Code and 9700k as a little upgrade from my Maximus IX Formula and 7700K. However, when I plug in the power cable to my PC, the motherboard lights up, but when I hit the power button, the PC starts up for the smallest fraction of a second, then turns off. 

Ive tried removing all cables to the motherboard and connecting them back again, as well as taking out my ram and trying different configurations with that.

My full specs:

Maximus XI Code

NZXT X52

32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600MHz

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid

EVGA G3 1000w

Samsung 960 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

WD Black 2TB

Corsair Fans + NZXT case lighting

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv

Not really sure what to try next. I’d really hate to have to take off my CPU cooler and try and reseat my CPU.. but if that’s what’s necessary..

Thanks

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

Take out all ram and reseat the cpu with out the cooler turn on and see if it boots 

Maybe something is shorting? Are all the mobo stand offs installed? is the cable manged relatively well?

8 minutes ago, nightmarelegends said:

Take out all ram and reseat the cpu with out the cooler turn on and see if it boots 

If I can’t find anything else that’ll fix it, I’ll do this first thing tomorrow. It’s starting to get kinda late where I live.

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

8 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

Maybe something is shorting? Are all the mobo stand offs installed? is the cable manged relatively well?

Yes, all stand offs are installed. Well, even though the motherboard manual shows a stand off in the center of the board, I couldn’t find one, so I removed the center standoff from my case before installing my motherboard. Cable management behind the motherboard is... acceptable imo, and in the front is quite good.

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

Just remove everything and add things one by one with a new power supply if possable 

Ok, so I thought about it over night and realized that the problem most likely doesn’t have to do with my RAM or cables such as SATA cables, USB cables, Fan cables etc. I’m pretty sure that my issue lies with my power cables, the CPU cooler, or the CPU/motherboard itself. Am I right to assume this? What should I test first?

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

First thought is either power supply or the socket.  First thing I'd to is make sure all your cables are plugged in.  Check to make sure your motherboard doesn't have another cpu power connector.  Most motherboards will have them side by side if they use more than one, but I have seen some the put them in different places.

Next thing I'd do is take your cooler off (and clean off the thermal paste of course).  I would recommend leaving the cooler off until your pc is able to boot to bios.  It is ok to power it up for a few seconds without the cooler. Boot up doesn't stress the cpu that much, so it can take a minute or two before it gets hot enough to be unsafe. 

Follow standard anti-static procedures, and carefully remove the cpu from the socket. and don't touch the pins.  Take a look and see if any are bent at an odd angle compared to the others.  I'd also suggest getting a can of compressed air, holding it about 10 inches away from the socket, and blowing on the pins to remove any dust that make be on there.  You can spray the the bottom of the cpu as well.

Power supply can be a bit trickier.  If you have a computer repair shop, you might give them a call and see if they do free psu tests.  The MicroCenter here in Dallas does/used to do that.