Display Port Cable Question.

Vectraat
1 hour ago, Votivee said:

-Hmm, but here it says:

"To run at high resolutions and refresh rates, the cable must be able to handle the required bandwidth. Not all DisplayPort cables can handle the same amount of bandwidth."

-So, the cable does matter. 

"there 
are DisplayPort cables on the market that will fail to work for high-bandwidth formats like 4K 60 Hz or 1440p 144 Hz."

Also: "All DisplayPort devices are compatible with all other DisplayPort devices, regardless of the version of each device. When connecting two DisplayPort devices that have different versions, the capabilities and features available are determined by the lower of the two versions. For example if a GPU with DisplayPort 1.4 support is plugged into a monitor with a DisplayPort 1.2 port, the connection will be limited to only the bandwidth and features provided by DisplayPort 1.2. DisplayPort cables themselves do not have version
s."

I see that DP 1.2 or above can support 2560 × 1440 (2.5K), but I don't know what DP version my Dell monitor supports because it isn't listed: https://www.dell.com/ng/business/p/dell-u2312h/pd
If my Dell only supports a lower DP standard (which I'm sure it does), will that impact my primary monitor if it supports a higher DP standard and both monitors are simultaneously connected to my GPU? Or they're independent? 

30 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

-Hmm, but here it says:

"To run at high resolutions and refresh rates, the cable must be able to handle the required bandwidth. Not all DisplayPort cables can handle the same amount of bandwidth."

-So, the cable does matter.

Well, the question was phrased "will any DP cable work with any DP monitor", to which the answer is yes :P it just may not allow full resolution/refresh rate if the requirements of the monitor are beyond what the cable can handle.

Monitors will generally always support whatever version is necessary for its specs.

Monitors are run independently, they won't affect each other by being connected simultaneously. DP transmission mode is negotiated separately for each display.

13 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Well, the question was phrased "will any DP cable work with any DP monitor", to which the answer is yes :P it just may not allow full resolution/refresh rate if the requirements of the monitor are beyond what the cable can handle.

Monitors will generally always support whatever version is necessary for its specs.

Monitors are run independently, they won't affect each other by being connected simultaneously. DP transmission mode is negotiated separately for each display.

Ok, since the cables that are mentioned are from amazon.com, do you have any to recommend from amazon.ca?
5-6 feet - 1440p, 144 Hz, FreeSync. I'm just gonna buy 2x even though my 2nd monitor is 60 Hz. Possibly saves me from having to buy a 3rd DP cable later on when that monitor is replaced.

1 hour ago, Vectraat said:

Ok, since the cables that are mentioned are from amazon.com, do you have any to recommend from amazon.ca?
5-6 feet - 1440p, 144 Hz, FreeSync. I'm just gonna buy 2x even though my 2nd monitor is 60 Hz. Possibly saves me from having to buy a 3rd DP cable later on when that monitor is replaced.

Any VESA certified HBR2 cable should do fine. Accell is the usual recommendation, not sure if they sell them in Canada though.