Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arsenious

Installing/Restoring Clover onto a USB already containing macOS Mojave.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Alright so I've been eager to get into macOS so I installed a VM on my Win7 laptop and now I wish to dual boot it with Mojave. I am not gonna be using win10 as its updates are uncontrollable and it doesn't run well on my laptop anyway. I am gonna be using the same disk with different partitions.

I went on to download macOS Mojave from the App Store to create a bootable USB but ended up using the macOS Mojave patcher to create one. Its formatted as macOS extended journaled but oooopsiees I didn't knew about Clover at the time. 

Now I am wondering if I can "squeeze" in Clover into the hence created bootable Mojave USB so I could save my 3 hours that went into it.

P.S Don't worry about my EFI partition cuz for some odd reason windows created it to be of 300MB lmao and I can follow with some tinkering and terminal shiz.

Have a look at my partition layout and my awesome Snipping Tool skillz. :D

macos partition.PNG

yes it is, beacause I posted at a time where all western people are sleeping. can you help?

Yes you should be able to just drag and drop the clover files onto the installation media, but you are going to have serious issues trying to get that up and running.

OSX is going to want you to format that part of the drive so be very careful that you dont format everything. Also you will need to set your boot priorities to the partition where clover is unless you want to select boot partitions every time.

This is not for the faint of heart and I do not recommend. If you are dead set I would go over to the Tonymac86 forums and talk to them. Installation is not cut and dry like it is with Windows, and depending on your hardware configuration it may NEVER work.

AGAIN I AM TELLING YOU THAT YOU SHOULD NOT DO THIS.

Best of luck if you do.

17 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

Yes you should be able to just drag and drop the clover files onto the installation media, but you are going to have serious issues trying to get that up and running.

OSX is going to want you to format that part of the drive so be very careful that you dont format everything. Also you will need to set your boot priorities to the partition where clover is unless you want to select boot partitions every time.

This is not for the faint of heart and I do not recommend. If you are dead set I would go over to the Tonymac86 forums and talk to them. Installation is not cut and dry like it is with Windows, and depending on your hardware configuration it may NEVER work.

AGAIN I AM TELLING YOU THAT YOU SHOULD NOT DO THIS.

Best of luck if you do.

Well I have already taken the leap my friend. :)

SMBIOS is configured, kexts ready and clover is on the first partition of the usb installed through clover configurator on my high sierra vm. mojave is on the second partition. Being frustrated that my usb wont boot, I looked up and according to AIO forum, I copied the contents of clove iso onto my hardisk's efi partition(300mb one) and even that doesn't work. I showed my BIOS the efi file of clover to boot off of but it still doesnt boot. I just need to boot to see if I actually got my config.plist file right. tonymacx and other forums dont have my issue their clover just boots. Can you help here, or point me in the right direction or to a post with my exact problem?

UPDATE: I got clover to boot (yay) but it boots only in legacy bios mode, not uefi.

I even showed my bios the efi file in boot folder of the usb still it just comes back to booting options.

Nonethless I get into clover and face another bummer, my macOS installation is nowhere to be seen. I can boot into the multiple windows installations I have but can't see the macOS on the us itself.

Looking at few posts on forums it suggests that the apfs.efi file might be missing from the driver64 and driver64UEFI folders on the drive but they aren't! I seem to be getting nowhere. Will update soon though.