Using your own router with Fios

Theguywhobea

Anyone out there using their own router/AP with Verizon Fios. I already have a router/AP I really like and would like to also avoid rental fees, however it seems with Fios it's a little more tricky than Comcast? Anyone have any experience with this?

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 馃檪

3 hours ago, Theguywhobea said:

Anyone out there using their own router/AP with Verizon Fios. I already have a router/AP I really like and would like to also avoid rental fees, however it seems with Fios it's a little more tricky than Comcast? Anyone have any experience with this?

FIOS uses a Moca router. They dont sell these at the store, as there are not many companies that use this type of router. If Verizon would provision the Ethernet ports on your ONT then you could use ANY router you choose. Just DONT buy a cable modem thinking it will work, because it wont.聽

FIOS use coax to transmit TV signal, which uses the lower bands under 1 Ghz on the coax, where Moca uses Above 1 Ghz for data transfers. I know the Moca router does stuff for the TV, like Guide and On demand I think. Also I have heard that if you have speeds of 100 Mbps or more then they generally do the internet via Ethernet from the ONT.聽

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.聽

19 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

FIOS uses a Moca router. They dont sell these at the store, as there are not many companies that use this type of router. If Verizon would provision the Ethernet ports on your ONT then you could use ANY router you choose. Just DONT buy a cable modem thinking it will work, because it wont.聽

FIOS use coax to transmit TV signal, which uses the lower bands under 1 Ghz on the coax, where Moca uses Above 1 Ghz for data transfers. I know the Moca router does stuff for the TV, like Guide and On demand I think. Also I have heard that if you have speeds of 100 Mbps or more then they generally do the internet via Ethernet from the ONT.聽

Yes that lines up with what I have been reading. I don't intend to have phone or TV service so I hope I can use just my router, I get the keys to my new place tomorrow morning so I guess I'll check then and see what I'm working with.

10 hours ago, Donut417 said:

You would be correct. I had FiOS before I moved and it was 150 up and down and they had to use ethernet instead of COAX

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MB:聽ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275RKB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU:聽Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB:聽Asus聽B150M-CRAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel聽SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W聽Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

Great news, I got the keys to my new place this morning and it looks like the previous tenant already has an ethernet cable running from the ONT up to the second floor living space so I think I should be all set to setup my service and plug my router in there, very convenient! Thanks for the help and advice all!

4 hours ago, Theguywhobea said:

Great news, I got the keys to my new place this morning and it looks like the previous tenant already has an ethernet cable running from the ONT up to the second floor living space so I think I should be all set to setup my service and plug my router in there, very convenient! Thanks for the help and advice all!

Yeah, if you have the the ethernet port, you can easily switch to your own. However, I would keep an eye on your bill. I read that for new customers they still charge you for a router as a requirement, but you can get it removed if you call them. In my case I was angry because they charged me a router rental fee but I owned the quantum already (Friend just gave me his), and they never gave me a router at all. I had to have the charge rolled back. I run an edgerouter 4 myself.

23 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, if you have the the ethernet port, you can easily switch to your own. However, I would keep an eye on your bill. I read that for new customers they still charge you for a router as a requirement, but you can get it removed if you call them. In my case I was angry because they charged me a router rental fee but I owned the quantum already (Friend just gave me his), and they never gave me a router at all. I had to have the charge rolled back. I run an edgerouter 4 myself.

Yes I will keep an eye out for that. They actually offered to waive the cost of the router for the first year, but since I am declining the router entirely I can see the line item for -$12 on my first bill already.