Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MarshallL

Pc boot to black screen with blinking _ , plz help

Posted · Original PosterOP

Ok so basically it’s happened before, it boots up and offers to enter the bios, the last time it happened i fixed it by updating the bios but this time i can’t seem to do that, and now i must have changed something i didn’t mean to because now it doesn’t offer the bios to me. Really need help on this one. Thanks 

Hi Marshall,

Can you explain in a little more detail, step by step, what is happening?

Do you get a post screen at all? Does it stay black? If you wait 15 minutes, do you enter your OS of choice? What exactly is blinking? 

I boot my pc up, and instantly get a black screen with only a blinking under score or what ever it’s called _   . And no it doesn’t enter the os after a period of time, it just stays stagnant doing the same thing. Like i said before it has happened in the past, but i updated the bios and it fixed it but i changed my motherboard a few months back and now it’s happened again but this time i can’t fix it like last time. 

Most motherboard offer a CMOS reset switch. Try and locate this on your motherboard and press it. These come in several forms from pins (like the power / led connections) to an actualy button on the board (or on the back in the I/O plate). Pressing this should reset your bios. If you cannot find it or it does not have one. Remove electricity from your computer (after doing that, press the power button a couple times to make sure all excess electricity is gone). Remove the BIOS battery and re-socket it after about 10 seconds.

Now when booting up, you should be set to default settings.

If you can enter bios press f5 load optimized defaults (usually - may be a different key on yours) - Press f10 -> enter - and see if it boots

CPU: Intel i7 9700K@testing new settings| Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero | RAM: G.Skill 2x8 3200 CL14 (B-Die) | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | 

Mon: Samsung C27HG70 27" 144Hz Freesync - G-Sync compatible(ish) | GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | 

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout | Storage: Corsair MP510 960gb | Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's |

Ryzen rig for LAN/Backup

So you're saying you replaced your motherboard. Have you had this issue ever since the new motherboard or has it only started to malfunction recently?

Have you added any new hardware prior to this issue happening?

sounds like its just stuck at loading windows. not sure if tapping F8 will work in win10 though. another way is while its loading,do a hard reset, hopefully that'll bring up some options and you can boot from there into safe mode.

another rare solution thats worked a few times for me is disconnect the hdd and connect it to another working pc and run chkdsk

20 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

So you're saying you replaced your motherboard. Have you had this issue ever since the new motherboard or has it only started to malfunction recently?

Have you added any new hardware prior to this issue happening?

No new hardware has been added, and it’s never happened with this motherboard, it did happen with my old one though. And this started 2 days ago, and since the. i havnt been able to get on windows only the bios. 

22 minutes ago, vaiwalker said:

sounds like its just stuck at loading windows. not sure if tapping F8 will work in win10 though. another way is while its loading,do a hard reset, hopefully that'll bring up some options and you can boot from there into safe mode.

another rare solution thats worked a few times for me is disconnect the hdd and connect it to another working pc and run chkdsk

How would i go about doing a hard reset? and is that like a wipe? 

59 minutes ago, MarshallL said:

No new hardware has been added, and it’s never happened with this motherboard, it did happen with my old one though. And this started 2 days ago, and since the. i havnt been able to get on windows only the bios. 

allright, thats good to know. So its probably acces to the hard drive that is malfunctioning (i'm geussing).

You can load the bios, do you see all your hard drives listed there and is the boot order correct?

If you run the windows disk / usb to install a new one. Do you see your hard drives listed there?

If you do, can you try to perform a repair installation?

Step by step video: 

Try shutting off power for the monitor. Shut down pc. turn monitor on at the same time as pc. if you have a Samsung monitor check source on monitor. 

CPU: Intel i7 9700K@testing new settings| Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero | RAM: G.Skill 2x8 3200 CL14 (B-Die) | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | 

Mon: Samsung C27HG70 27" 144Hz Freesync - G-Sync compatible(ish) | GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | 

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout | Storage: Corsair MP510 960gb | Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's |

Ryzen rig for LAN/Backup