Raspberry Pi 4! USB 3.0, Dual 4K60 HDMI, Up to 4GB DDR4, Gigabit LAN And More!

iamdarkyoshi
Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Likely power consumption, sata drives take a fair bit more power than a microSD card

yeah ok. sure i get that. i still think m.2 wouldve been awesome. 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

2 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

yeah ok. sure i get that. i still think m.2 wouldve been awesome. 

Power consumption (1.5W extra), thermals, and use case.

This is not a desktop replacement, this is low cost board designed for teaching kids coding.

We provide low-cost, high-performance computers that people use to learn, solve problems and have fun. We provide outreach and education to help more people access computing and digital making. We develop free resources to help people learn about computing and how to make things with computers, and train educators who can guide other people to learn.

The A72 will need passive cooling to stop throttling, Pcie x4 would also make the board a lot larger, and like an arduino board is meant to use for a variety of project, weather station, magic mirror, robot car driving etc.

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

On 6/25/2019 at 5:13 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

How can those numbers be correct?  I know they recommend a 2.5 amp supply and from experience I know my good 2.4 occasionally shows the low voltage warning and my 2.1 does almost constantly (might have even crashed at times but I don't recall).  At 5 V, that means it's pulling over 10 W, not ~6 (this is for a 3 series btw)

Are you using other peripherals? Storage devices in particular eat up quite a bit of the energy budget.

Are you using good quality cables?

Let's assume it is drawing 10W headless without any other devices attached. It therefore must disperse around 10W in the form of heat. 10W is close to the 15W of a U series chip in a laptop. A laptop will need a decently sized heatsink to keep it cool while the Pi will make do with one the size of a finger nail.

Another comparison would be the Mate 9. It drew around 8W under full load but despite being mostly made out of metal could not sustain that power draw.

Source

image.png.df01cf14d28ce85bcfe1a131b35980d4.png

Source

8 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

*snip*

The cables should be decent.  Not like they're special high end ones but they're certainly not cheap crap.  And yeah I run it with just a flash drive + wireless mouse dongle, so a bit more but probably the lowest things you could have I would think.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 6/24/2019 at 9:54 PM, Sauron said:

Really nice, BUT:

• I wish they didn't force you to boot from an SD card

You don't have to

This technique for no SD card at all: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

Or if you want to keep that functionality for the future the. You can use a bootloader like PINN (loaded on the SD) to direct the boot to your USB device.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

I ordered mine today, The Pi Hut (currently the only place you can buy 4s from in England) sold out of everything in a few days, I went to buy yesterday but they only had power supplies and mouse/keyboard sets in stock. Today they got more Pis but they still don't have cases so I guess I'm running naked for a few days :(

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

People be talking about N64 and PS2 Emulation but I wanna see if I can run Halo 1 or 2 on this thing (willing to bet that’s gonna be a no, but)

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

21 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The cables should be decent.  Not like they're special high end ones but they're certainly not cheap crap.  And yeah I run it with just a flash drive + wireless mouse dongle, so a bit more but probably the lowest things you could have I would think.

Huh, very strange indeed.

4 hours ago, DrDerp said:

People be talking about N64 and PS2 Emulation but I wanna see if I can run Halo 1 or 2 on this thing (willing to bet that’s gonna be a no, but)

Powercore VI is no where near the power of lets say a Mali 450 gpu in a phone from 2010. Seriously it is a waste of time. 

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

20 hours ago, DrDerp said:

Any home console Dreamcast and later is likely to be out of reach for the GPU, given the jump from VideoCore IV to VI seems to be around 30%-40%. More advanced shader filters should be possible owing to OpenGL ES 3.x support, though don't expect miracles.

The new cpu on the other hand, should allow the use of more accurate emulators such as Mednafen/Beetle (for PS1) and Higan (for Snes). Though Cortex A72 is quite power hungry too.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

11 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Any home console Dreamcast and later is likely to be out of reach for the GPU, given the jump from VideoCore IV to IV seems to be around 30%-40%. More advanced shader filters should be possible owing to OpenGL ES 3.x support, though don't expect miracles.

The new cpu on the other hand, should allow the use of more accurate emulators such as Mednafen/Beetle (for PS1) and Higan (for Snes). Though Cortex A72 is quite power hungry too.

vc4 to vc4 is not a jump.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Apparently The Pi4 it can encode 1080p@60fps H264 in real time. 

Do you know what that means? Just a few tweaks and they could release a v2 that enables HDMI2 as a capture device.

It'd make a HUGE impact on the streaming scene, since currently starting streaming is pretty hefty $$ wise for a capture card and/or a 2nd computer to stream with. 

This would make a great budget option for streamers just starting out. HDMI In/Out of the Pi, 3.5mm jack for the streaming mic, and I'm sure someone will make a Linux distro for it just for streaming to Twitch/Youtube. 

I look forward to v2 >:) 

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

3 hours ago, will4623 said:

vc4 to vc4 is not a jump.

Typo. Meant to type Videocore VI for 6. Corrected.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 6/30/2019 at 6:01 AM, Chronified said:

Apparently The Pi4 it can encode 1080p@60fps H264 in real time. 

Do you know what that means? Just a few tweaks and they could release a v2 that enables HDMI2 as a capture device.

It'd make a HUGE impact on the streaming scene, since currently starting streaming is pretty hefty $$ wise for a capture card and/or a 2nd computer to stream with. 

This would make a great budget option for streamers just starting out. HDMI In/Out of the Pi, 3.5mm jack for the streaming mic, and I'm sure someone will make a Linux distro for it just for streaming to Twitch/Youtube. 

I look forward to v2 >:) 

Is it really possible to turn an output into an input, and that easily at that?  If so I'd agree with you, but then I'd also wonder why most GPUs don't already offer that feature.

Edit: or did I misread this... You mean an actual version 2 of the hardware, right? Not just an update?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.