Raspberry Pi 4! USB 3.0, Dual 4K60 HDMI, Up to 4GB DDR4, Gigabit LAN And More!

iamdarkyoshi
1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

can a Pi have the boot OS on a volume over LAN? o_o

for example the thing has no USB disk or SD card attached, but has an ethernet cable connected to a PC that has a network shared volume for the PI's OS

Yes, other than what is being said from others, that's a feature that pretty much every computer BIOS have

wow. This thing is good.

I wonder if I could use one to be both a pfsense router, a NAS, and a plex server. Might be asking a bit much. lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

wow. This thing is good.

I wonder if I could use one to be both a pfsense router, a NAS, and a plex server. Might be asking a bit much. lol

well it all depends on config and needs, if the NAS doesn't need any software raid like Raid 5 and plex is mostly doing direct streams then it would be fine. but plex transcoding and bring it to its knees

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

6 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

well it all depends on config and needs, if the NAS doesn't need any software raid like Raid 5 and plex is mostly doing direct streams then it would be fine. but plex transcoding and bring it to its knees

Running all 3 would require pfsense to be virtualized most likely too.. which would prob hurt things more (esp RAM). Also not even sure if a Pi can run KVM lol

Think I'll stick with my old Optiplex I'm current using for this. It's just not efficient but it was very cheap.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Running all 3 would require pfsense to be virtualized most likely too.. which would prob hurt things more (esp RAM). Also not even sure if a Pi can run KVM lol

Think I'll stick with my old Optiplex I'm current using for this. It's just not efficient but it was very cheap.

I thought pfsense could do the NAS and run plex. I don't know too much about it.

Gonna order mine on Friday to replace my ageing 2.

Watching some videos on the 4 running the new Raspbian version it looks super fast. Booting takes under 10 seconds and it streams 4K YouTube videos with zero stuttering.

I also love the look of the included keyboard in the desktop set so I'm gonna spend the £100 and order that.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Looked more into it. Shame it doesn't have any eMMC capabilities, not even as an add-on board. Micro-SD is sloooow.

For the 4B+ maybe?

Ye ole' train

9 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

A Pi can run KVM. But not x86, as "normal X86 PC machines" cannot use KVM with arm

2 minutes ago, captain cactus said:

Looked more into it. Shame it doesn't have any eMMC capabilities, not even as an add-on board. Micro-SD is sloooow.

For the 4B+ maybe?

Look into the samsung evo select cards. I had one in my 3B+ and it was actually really fast and responsive, and since they've upgraded the SD controller, it should be even quicker. Samsung claims 100MB/S read and 90MB/s write, and I can confirm those speeds are obtainable. 

5 hours ago, LeSheen said:

I have a 3b with heatsinks(came with the case), it barely makes a difference if you don't actively cool it. Furthermore it can handle the heat, it's designed like that. If not it will throttle down, but never had it happen to me except in the summer or with an OC.

I've had good luck just slapping a larger heatsink on them. A small block of aluminium as a spacer and a chipset heatsink from an old motherboard work well, or like the one on my emulationstation, just a solid machined aluminium case will be more than adequate. I do agree that most of the heatsinks for sale are useless though.

I want one of the 4GB-ones, but....those cost 72€ or more, plus shipping, here in Europe! I can't justify paying that much for one, especially since I just want it into my collection, not because I actually have any use for one; I have a whole bunch of SBCs and I can't find any actual use for any of them and they just end up sitting pretty and collecting dust.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

15 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I thought pfsense could do the NAS and run plex. I don't know too much about it.

it actually probably could if you messed with it. Underneath it's just a FreeBSD OS.

idk if I want to do that much work though xD

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

it actually probably could if you messed with it. Underneath it's just a FreeBSD OS.

idk if I want to do that much work though xD

ya, what makes plex great is transcoding but that is where you need a good CPU.

33 minutes ago, Tedny said:

67 Euro for 4Gb.... oh, Pi's getting expensive 

At least they give you the $35 1GB option still which is fine for most people who use it as a very basic desktop or for most electronics projects.

RAM is just expensive I guess :/

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

At least they give you the $35 1GB

But it's not $35, it's 46€ here in Europe ?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

interesting. why is it so much more? 46 euros is $52

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Tedny said:

that 4GB for security Camera will be a big upgrade

Why would you need 4GB RAM just for a security-camera?

5 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

I'm kind of torn myself. The Pi 4 provides the performance to run the excellent Beetle PSX core that I've wanted for some time along with high quality CRT shaders. 8 watts is pretty bonkers though, and would be difficult to find something I already have on hand that can feed it. I feel a die shrunk, high clocked Cortex A53 array (or even Cortex A73)  may have been a more prudent choice, though it seems the Pi Foundation wanted the floating-point performance from A72s for some reason. Let's hope underclocking and undervolting are feasible.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

33 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Have you shopped around a bit? I found them for 37 euros without shipping (depends where you live)

https://www.rasppishop.de/Raspberry-Pi-4-Modell-B-1GB-SDRAM

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

microHDMI is the worst connector of all time.  Unfortunately. 

microSD support is still capped seriously.  50MBps versus the old 25MBps  as I can see.  I know I can use the faster USB 3.0 but I would honestly rather use super fast micro SD cards to store everything if I can. 

Hoping for Compute Module 4 to come out :)

23 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Have you shopped around a bit? I found them for 37 euros without shipping (depends where you live)

https://www.rasppishop.de/Raspberry-Pi-4-Modell-B-1GB-SDRAM

That's 42 USD :)

Pi 3B+ is 50 USD or 44.5 EUR in Croatia as an example. 

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

just do 2!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Looks like it can run KVM

https://medium.com/@valdiz777/setting-up-kvm-on-raspberry-pi-3-using-a-64bit-opensuse-pi3-leap-42-2-xfce-image-22faddf02f48

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Projects currently in mind:

- Poor man's media server

- PS2Portable

- remove all ports, try to fit in a super slim shell, and make a better a faster, faster PocketCHIP

- giving pi cluster another go

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I am very, very excited for this. The dual screen potential, 4gb ram, and gigabit lan are going to make this little guy a POWERFUL SOC. Not that Rpi's weren't already amazing, this is just, extra amazing. 

11 hours ago, LeSheen said:

Does anyone know if ethernet and usb still go over the same bus?

Would make an nice and cheap NAS otherwise.

been looking into that as well, but presumably this time that's a usb 3.0 bus, so it at least improves *some* of the bottleneck.

there's a few raspberry pi knockoffs that are MUCH better at NAS duty tho, cant exactly recall which ones, but there's some out there that have LAN, WLAN, and SATA coming straight out the chipset.