Raspberry Pi 4! USB 3.0, Dual 4K60 HDMI, Up to 4GB DDR4, Gigabit LAN And More!

iamdarkyoshi

Quite an exciting launch from the Raspberry Pi team:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-4-on-sale-now-from-35/

HERO-ALT.jpg

CURRENTLY ON PREORDER, just a heads up

Here are the highlights:

A 1.5GHz quad-core 64-bit ARM Cortex-A72 CPU (~3× performance)

1GB, 2GB, or 4GB of LPDDR4 SDRAM

Full-throughput Gigabit Ethernet

Dual-band 802.11ac wireless networking

Bluetooth 5.0

Two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 ports

Dual monitor support, at resolutions up to 4K

VideoCore VI graphics, supporting OpenGL ES 3.x

4Kp60 hardware decode of HEVC video

Complete compatibility with earlier Raspberry Pi products

These specs look freaking awesome, can't wait to get mine. Also quite neat to see them sell 1, 2, oatmeal and 4GB models, for 35, 45, and 55$.

I'm not a fan of the micro HDMI ports though, I'd rather have seen stacked full size HDMI ports, but whatever.

I'd love to see where retropie goes with this model, maybe full speed high res N64? owo

Does anyone know if ethernet and usb still go over the same bus?

Would make an nice and cheap NAS otherwise.

I would like to have seen them focus more on implementing hardware decoders/acceleration for all common video codecs (vp9 in particular).  That would be a nice compliment to everything else listed.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, LeSheen said:

Honestly with how slow gigabit LAN is, grandma's old windows vista core 2 duo can do fine with a NAS... Its what we use at work, my grandmother's old dell lol

The pi would be a hell of a lot smaller and power efficient though. 

6 minutes ago, LeSheen said:

So looks like they are using seperate controller this time ?

"The Ethernet controller on the main SoC is connected to an external Broadcom PHY over a dedicated RGMII link, providing full throughput. USB is provided via an external VLI controller, connected over a single PCI Express Gen 2 lane, and providing a total of 4Gbps of bandwidth, shared between the four ports."

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

The pi would be a hell of a lot smaller and power efficient though. 

Thats why I want to use a pi. I still have my old gaming rig (i5 4690k and gtx 970) but that would use way to much power.

7 minutes ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

So looks like they are using seperate controller this time ?

Thanks, probably going to order a 4gb one and try it as a plexserver as well.

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

how about camera-in and encoder specs?! O_O

EDIT: USB-C SOCKET MASTER RACE (even if it's just for power!)

Apparently it can do type C OTG provided the pi is powered by other means. 

I think. I could have sworn it said that somewhere but now I can't find it anywhere...

33 minutes ago, LeSheen said:

They do not.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Apparently it can do type C OTG provided the pi is powered by other means. 

I think. I could have sworn it said that somewhere but now I can't find it anywhere...

Source? And by other means I'm guessing you mean via GPIO.

-- Mark Tomlin

1 hour ago, LeSheen said:

I would say no.

In the picture you can see two smaller hubs near the ports, a Pi 3 only has 1.

1 hour ago, LeSheen said:

Thanks, probably going to order a 4gb one and try it as a plexserver as well.

Remember to buy a heatsink. Even just scanning libraries will push it into the 70C range.

grumble..and I just ordered a 3 :(

(of course i ordered a 3 cuz it's recomended for a class I'm gonna take cuz I hate not knowing what I'm doing on my Zero.....it makes sense in my head).

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

2 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Remember to buy a heatsink. Even just scanning libraries will push it into the 70C range.

I have a 3b with heatsinks(came with the case), it barely makes a difference if you don't actively cool it. Furthermore it can handle the heat, it's designed like that. If not it will throttle down, but never had it happen to me except in the summer or with an OC.

My question is, if I have a 3B and want to upgrade to a 4, can I still use the PoE hat from the 3B on the 4?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

yes. finally an easy way to dual monitor this bitch. 4k is maybe a bit much for my taste but sure why not. if only they werent both miniHDMI all this dongle shit is anoying. on the pi zero its fine since thats more for small hardware projects not really that great for multimedia anyway but on the full size pi i wouldve really loved fullsize hdmi ports. maybe stacked or something idk.

the powerdraw though worrys me a bit. just the general trend the pi has experienced. more performance is nice but the pi to me has to be low power usage so you can pretty much leave it on 24/7. 5v at 3a means 15w and thats basically the tdp of a i5 4300U in for example a surface pro 3 or any other older-ish low power laptop and im not sure exactly but i would addume those pack more calculating power. of course you cant really compare that since the has gpios and what not but for some project where you only need a lower cpu working quietly on calculating shit or controling your home or doing whatever the choice between getting a pi and getting a used laptop does become harder to me. 

plus any non-wall-powered project becomes harder and harder. build a robot or drone or rc car or anything with a battery pack? well i guess a pi zero would do for those. but still im using a pi 3 b+ in the car and if the trend of more power omsumption keep going i might soon need to hook it up directly to battery or install a seperate fuse or some shit idk. i just think a pi should stay low power like 2A ideally.

type c is also nice to see. i just hope they reinforce the mount to the board a bit. i have seen more then one microusb port broken off over time from constant plugging and unplugging.

oh and ac wifi is nice i just hope the bluettoth isnt the low energy varient

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

33 minutes ago, Lurick said:

My question is, if I have a 3B and want to upgrade to a 4, can I still use the PoE hat from the 3B on the 4?

Yes, in their blog post they say everything from 2 and upwards should still be compatible, including the PoE hat which is what they used as an example

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Can't wait for it to be available here.

EDIT: Oh, it already is. Just not in the big retailers.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

4 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

4Kp60 hardware decode of HEVC video

^THIS

I know there are other boxes running Android that can do this cheaply too, but always preferred the experience you got with the pi and libraelec/kodi etc... so might be time to retire my ageing nvidiaTV. And I can get more for my family too.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Looks like a really good update. Here are some benchmarks.

Some highlights:

• The new CPU is much more powerful. In Linpack the new Pi is 3-4 times as fast as the 3B+.
  • The move from LPDDR2 to LPDDR4 has increased the memory throughput from about 2500MBps, to around 4200MBps.
  • The GPU has been upgraded from a VideoCore IV to a VideoCore VI. In Quake 3 Arena, the performance has increased from 27.5 FPS to 41 FPS. That's around a 50% increase.
  • Ethernet performance has also been given a massive performance boost. From around 240Mbps on the Pi 3B+, to around 900Mbps on the Pi 4.
  • The WiFi on 5GHz (not 2.4GHz) has been slightly improved. In his tests, it went from 97.6Mbps (Pi 3B+) to 114Mbps (Pi 4).
  • USB throughput has received a MASSIVE performance boost. The throughput when connecting a USB SSD went from around 20Mbps (Pi 3B+, and basically any other Pi) to over 300Mbps (Pi 4). That's over 15 times as fast.
  • The microSD slot has been upgraded. The read speeds seem to have doubled, and the write speeds are around 50% faster.
  •  

Also worth noting:

• The new board is significantly bigger than the other models, which means a lot of cases will be incompatible.
  • It is 4 grams lighter than the RPi 3 B+ (46g vs 50g)
  • The SoC is now 28nm instead of 40nm like the old one.
  • The RPi 4 runs much hotter than the previous models. It might be a good idea to get a heatsink or maybe even a case with a fan if you plan on putting it under constant heavy load.
  • The power consumption is up too compared to the RPi 3 B+. Both idle consumption (around 0.1w more) and load consumption (around 1w more).
  • The current software does not support booting from Ethernet or USB, but that is being worked on. This is important because right now the USB and Ethernet are both significantly faster than the microSD slot.

35 minutes ago, Lurick said:

According to the blog post, yes. The PoE hat is still compatible with the RPi 4:

Our Gigabit Ethernet magjack has moved to the top right of the board, from the bottom right, greatly simplifying PCB routing. The 4-pin Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) connector remains in the same location, so Raspberry Pi 4 remains compatible with the PoE HAT.

2 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

the powerdraw though worrys me a bit. just the general trend the pi has experienced. more performance is nice but the pi to me has to be low power usage so you can pretty much leave it on 24/7. 5v at 3a means 15w and thats basically the tdp of a i5 4300U in for example a surface pro 3 or any other older-ish low power laptop and im not sure exactly but i would addume those pack more calculating power. of course you cant really compare that since the has gpios and what not but for some project where you only need a lower cpu working quietly on calculating shit or controling your home or doing whatever the choice between getting a pi and getting a used laptop does become harder to me. 

Just because it is rated for that power draw doesn't mean it will always draw that much. Initial benchmarks show power usage around 2W higher than the 3B so ~33% more. The rest will be split up between external devices.

For a more than two fold increase in performance this is a small price to pay, if you really need a lower power draw just lower the frequency.

I do admit though that they are beginning to reach the end of the acceptable power draw range.

image.png.ce488d3c533b662011b42d98e72edc4f.png

Source

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

can a Pi have the boot OS on a volume over LAN? o_o

for example the thing has no USB disk or SD card attached, but has an ethernet cable connected to a PC that has a network shared volume for the PI's OS

Yes.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/net_tutorial.md

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

can a Pi have the boot OS on a volume over LAN? o_o

for example the thing has no USB disk or SD card attached, but has an ethernet cable connected to a PC that has a network shared volume for the PI's OS 

Yes

Here is a guide on how to do it.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/net_tutorial.md

It works by downloading the system image from a tftp server (which you configure yourself in your network).