Ping Spikes Please Help :(

Fadi Jarebica

I hate this. 

Whenever I play a game like Fortnite, I experience ping spikes from 10-20 then it sky rockets to 400-1100. Absolute bullshit. I've had this issue for months now but never had I thought about coming to the LTT forums for some help. I'm using the slowest internet where I live unfortunately which is Verizon DSL. 7.1-15 Mbps download and my upload is like 0.70 so... The problem is I'm averaging around 20 ping whenever I run a speed test and it never goes much more higher than that. I only experience these problems in games. Does anyone have a solution? Also using Cloud flare's DNS Server and Ethernet. Modem is a GT784WNV, please let me know if there is anyway to upgrade my horrible modem, and if anyone has a solution to my ping.

Kind Regards,

Fadi Jarebica

LTT.PNG

Edited by Fadi Jarebica
Forgot some information

I have a similar issue. I have 15/5 fiber (yeah straight cancer I know), and I've been dealing with playing csgo for a long time like this. I'm somewhat certain it is caused by other network traffic taking priority over game traffic. If it's possible, see if it coincides with anything (for me it's when the TV starts streaming). If you can't get more network bandwidth change your router's QOs settings of that is possible. Having also experienced DSL, it honestly could just be somewhere along the line beyond your house something does not like your repeated traffic. Try googling and running some commands to repeatedly ping somewhere, and see if it increases, like what happens to me. 

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

2 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

I have a similar issue. I have 15/5 fiber (yeah straight cancer I know), and I've been dealing with playing csgo for a long time like this. I'm somewhat certain it is caused by other network traffic taking priority over game traffic. If it's possible, see if it coincides with anything (for me it's when the TV starts streaming). If you can't get more network bandwidth change your router's QOs settings of that is possible. Having also experienced DSL, it honestly could just be somewhere along the line beyond your house something does not like your repeated traffic. Try googling and running some commands to repeatedly ping somewhere, and see if it increases, like what happens to me. 

Yeah I just googled only a bit and after typing in 3 random things one of the tabs wouldn't even load. How can I change this, also using a modem, not a router.

1 minute ago, Fadi Jarebica said:

Yeah I just googled only a bit and after typing in 3 random things one of the tabs wouldn't even load. How can I change this, also using a modem, not a router.

I'm not a network expert, but I've just been googling around to fix my own issue over the last year or two. From my experience, QOs settings are really crap on routers and modems that come with your internet. Try googling your router's name plus a word like management or QOs settings or just "router's name change settings"

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

How often do you see the spikes? Are you on fiber through your ISP? Go to your command prompt, run this: ping 8.8.8.8 -n 100 then report back please!

Edit: I just reread your post, now see you are on DSL.

12 minutes ago, EpiCheeseTime said:

How often do you see the spikes? Are you on fiber through your ISP? Go to your command prompt, run this: ping 8.8.8.8 -n 100 then report back please!

Wow... 

damn it.PNG

So with you on DSL, you are sharing the copper with your neighbors. So if someone is streaming a movie, they take more bandwidth. You could try to change the DNS server that you computer tries to reach. This doesn't always work, but its a shot. Since everyone (typically) goes to google for their DNS, you can try to take the road less traveled.

Or, see if you can get on fiber, youd have your own dedicated wavelength and see less spikes.

But if you want to try the DNS, open a file explorer, paste this path Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center, should take you to this.

image.png.77fafdd98c390207292a905f089d9778.png

Click ethernet, then properties, double click ipv4, then you should see DNS greyed out. Click use the following dns. I personally like OpenDNS. Although I don't have them on my Windows but do for my Ubuntu's. Use these IPs for the primary and secondary respectively.  208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

Then click apply and okay (or just okay if you trust your machine. I treat mine like it is at the bottom of a well with lotion.)

Try to ping to the primary and see if there is improvement, and then also the 8.8.8.8.

Don't put all your faith in me, its been a while since I've been on DSL haha.

6 minutes ago, EpiCheeseTime said:

So with you on DSL, you are sharing the copper with your neighbors. So if someone is streaming a movie, they take more bandwidth. You could try to change the DNS server that you computer tries to reach. This doesn't always work, but its a shot. Since everyone (typically) goes to google for their DNS, you can try to take the road less traveled.

Or, see if you can get on fiber, youd have your own dedicated wavelength and see less spikes.

But if you want to try the DNS, open a file explorer, paste this path Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center, should take you to this.

image.png.77fafdd98c390207292a905f089d9778.png

Click ethernet, then properties, double click ipv4, then you should see DNS greyed out. Click use the following dns. I personally like OpenDNS. Although I don't have them on my Windows but do for my Ubuntu's. Use these IPs for the primary and secondary respectively.  208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

Then click apply and okay (or just okay if you trust your machine. I treat mine like it is at the bottom of a well with lotion.)

Try to ping to the primary and see if there is improvement, and then also the 8.8.8.8.

Don't put all your faith in me, its been a while since I've been on DSL haha.

cmd 1.PNG

cmd 2.PNG

Can you run a tracert command to 8.8.8.8 using default DNS? Command is tracert 8.8.8.8

Just now, EpiCheeseTime said:

Can you run a tracert command to 8.8.8.8 using default DNS? Command is tracert 8.8.8.8

Running it

5 minutes ago, EpiCheeseTime said:

tracert.PNG

So this tells me something is down somewhere. With the two requests timing out and the 184ms for 140.222.235.99 to get back. Has it been prolonged that you've seen the issues, or just today? Google has been under some pretty bad attacks lately.

1 minute ago, EpiCheeseTime said:

So this tells me something is down somewhere. With the two requests timing out and the 184ms for 140.222.235.99 to get back. Has it been prolonged that you've seen the issues, or just today? Google has been under some pretty bad attacks lately.

It's been like this for a couple of months now.

Oof, I would call your ISP then, maybe your OMT needs replaced. They will also be able to see more than I can from my end. Sorry! Keep these images though to show them the proof.

Just now, EpiCheeseTime said:

Oof, I would call your ISP then, maybe your OMT needs replaced. They will also be able to see more than I can from my end. Sorry! Keep these images though to show them the proof.

Alright, thank you man.

Still open to suggestions if anyone else is reading this comment.