is this safe on a 4-pin?

Ashley MLP Fangirl

so i overclocked my X4 955 (3.6ghz at 1.5v) and it's been stable.

however while discussing it in a Discord server someone pointed out that this is dangerous because my board only has one 4-pin and the connector could melt or something...

is this safe to do?

full specs:

Phenom X4 955

Asus M4A78T-E

GTX 690

GTX 1050

12GB DDR3

BitFenix Whisper 850W

She/Her

Hmm... I don't see why it would melt, the worst that can happen is that your CPU won't get enough power. I don't think you can draw more than 75W out of a 4pin, at least not if your motherboard respects ATX specifications. I could be wrong but from what I've read I think you're ok.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Should be okay but you shouldn't do some extreme OCs. 

What's up with this gpu config though? Lol. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

I’m guessing OP games on one of them and uses the other for NVENC or something. On newer titles the 1050 should be faster but on older titles or games with good SLi support the 690 would perform quite well.

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Hmm... I don't see why it would melt, the worst that can happen is that your CPU won't get enough power. I don't think you can draw more than 75W out of a 4pin, at least not if your motherboard respects ATX specifications. I could be wrong but from what I've read I think you're ok.

the board supports 140W cpu's so...

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

It depends on how much current the CPU draws from the 4-pin connector. From what I can gather on the interwebs, the 4-pin power should safely, if built properly, carry 8 amps per 12+V line, which means 96W between the two, or 192W total.

i should be fine then considering stock TDP is 125W and stock voltage is 1.35... it's not that much higher than stock.

stock is 3.2 so it's not that extreme.

GTX 690 runs my main screen and the 1050 runs my side displays. it's for 2 reasons. 1 to save vram ont he 690 and 2 because the 690 has limited outputs in SLI mode.

She/Her

2 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

I’m guessing OP games on one of them and uses the other for NVENC or something.

GTX 690 runs my main screen and the 1050 runs my side displays. it's for 2 reasons. 1 to save vram ont he 690 and 2 because the 690 has limited outputs in SLI mode.

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

the board supports 140W cpu's so...

That's the TDP, not the power draw. Also the CPU takes power through the 24pin connector too. The 4pin or 8pin is auxiliary.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

i should be fine then considering stock TDP is 125W and stock voltage is 1.35... it's not that much higher than stock.

If there isn't any warning on the motherboard that specifically says which CPUs not to use, then I don't imagine it shouldn't be a problem using the CPU and overclocking it a bit. Also remember that overclocking, at least if you're only changing clock speeds, is a linear increase in power. So if you bump up the clock speed by 5%, that bumps up the power by 5%.

2 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

On newer titles the 1050 should be faster but on older titles or games with good SLi support the 690 would perform quite well.

nope. the 690 is 2 680's on one card, and even a 680 is faster than a 1050. in SLI supported games the 690 is a LOT faster.

She/Her

Shouldn't be a Problem for CPU and VRM.

However the 4pin Connector it is.

With 6A its 144W, with 9A its 216W maximum. That is really really close. 

And I'd assume that the CPU might be around the 200W Ballpark, maybe even 250W...

The old Phenoms can deal with rather high voltages and 1,5V is something you see for example on a 1800X at Stock...

The Russians from IXBT Labs IIRC did a Review of that a long long time ago, sadly the Site went down and I don't have a Backup either. It was an awesome Article, even 10 Year later. And I really really loved to link it...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Run some IBT or whatever for a bit and touch it? Should be fine though

*edit*

These and pretty much every other connector can go way over spec safely btw

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

If there isn't any warning on the motherboard that specifically says which CPUs not to use, then I don't imagine it shouldn't be a problem using the CPU and overclocking it a bit. Also remember that overclocking, at least if you're only changing clock speeds, is a linear increase in power. So if you bump up the clock speed by 5%, that bumps up the power by 5%.

i changed the multiplier so.... from 16 to 18. what does that equal to?

She/Her

3 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If you didn't change the base clock speed, that's 12.5%

so assuming the 125W is correct then it's 140W now. that makes total sense because if i go any higher it turns off immediately when it tries to load Windows, and the board only supports up to 140W.

16 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

It depends on how much current the CPU draws from the 4-pin connector. From what I can gather on the interwebs, the 4-pin power should safely, if built properly, carry 8 amps per 12+V line, which means 96W between the two, or 192W total.

so if we go by 140W then according to this it should be safe then?

She/Her

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

As far as current carrying capacity of the wires, yes.

that was my main issue. thanks!

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I'm not sure what else the rest of the system can handle.

i'm not that concerned about it. if the board dies it's very cheap to replace. i was more worried about the wires melting.

She/Her