NOW is the iPad Pro a Computer?

Posted in the right subforum? Hooray!

tenor.gif?itemid=5833390

Edit: The QoL updates seem good, but I agree with the notion that it's not really a laptop/PC replacement cause of some of the shortfalls mentioned in the video.

The idea of a macbook with a touchscreen does sound appealing, but I feel like it would kinda undermine the sole existence of the iPad Pro (if your sole intention was to use it as a computer replacement), maybe if Apple treats it more like a 2-in-1 then that might be a differentiating product (between the iPad and the macbook)

Edited by lewdicrous
Watched the video

6 minutes ago, RILEYISMYNAME said:

I  did it!!! 

Keep this up and one day you'll be able to drop things as gracefully as Linus

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I wonder, would you recommend iPad Pro for note taking in the classroom? How is the writing on the glass doing? I heard there are some screen "protectors" that make it feel more like a paper. Is it any better? 

@RILEYISMYNAME I guess that question makes sense coming from someone that doesn't know what a video game is.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 minutes ago, PeterBocan said:

I wonder, would you recommend iPad Pro for note taking in the classroom? How is the writing on the glass doing? I heard there are some screen "protectors" that make it feel more like a paper. Is it any better? 

From what I’ve heard the iPad Pro is pretty great. The Apple Pencil and iPad Pro are basically the best in its class with almost no lag. I’m sure you could get a matte screen protector that would add some more friction.

I just feel like the tech giants as a whole are continuously dumbing down technology, especially for the average user.

While I do think this is a great improvement to the iPad, it should have had these features to begin with.

"Apple did what people wanted" 

"It's still not good"

LTT needs someone other than Linus to do these reviews. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

"It's still not good"

Riley is the one who wrote it though...

I wonder if he intentionally did that to poke at Apple's doing of the same thing. But I think he means that people have always wanted the features in the iPad, but they didn't do a good enough job of doing so (mainly the mouse).

Just now, TempestCatto said:

I wonder if he intentionally did that to poke at Apple's doing of the same thing. But I think he means that people have always wanted the features in the iPad, but they didn't do a good enough job of doing so (mainly the mouse).

To add to this, adding a feature is one thing, implementing it well is another.

Just now, TempestCatto said:

I only noticed that as The last few minutes of the video approached. My opinion still stands.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

"It's still not good"

Problem is there is soooo much anti-Apple bias in tech that its trendy to bash Apple, and you can even see this with the LMG staff. Linus doesn't do too bad when it comes to this, maybe he's aware of his own or the community bias, but he still get caught in the meme worth complaints.

Don't get me wrong, much of the criticism is deserved, but people just pile on even if they have little-to-no experience with the hardware and software. There are too many times where ignorance triumphs over facts that it make it difficult to take people seriously when they are talking about Apple products.

all i remember about the ipad was you couldn't do even the basics like putting files on it and taking them off it. it was so far away from a computer it was almost useless entirely.

I guess this all depends on how you define a computer? Just because they don't drill down to the file structure for file management doesnt mean they can't be a computer.

1 minute ago, Ertman said:

There are too many times where ignorance triumphs over facts that it make it difficult to take people seriously when they are talking about Apple products.

Yeah but thats what apple wants.

if you hold a tiny bit of the overall market share and want to bash the 90% of people on earth who don't use an apple product , then you better be able to take it yourself.

Now the question is now. Does the Surface Pro, Ipad better than the Ipad?

(Yes im using ipad as a verb)

9 minutes ago, Ertman said:

Linus doesn't do too bad when it comes to this, maybe he's aware of his own or the community bias, but he still get caught in the meme worth complaints.

I mean, I started to see the good after letting everything he said sink in. But the problem is the entire script building up to the last 5 minutes is massively negative when the verdict on what iPadOS has become is actually positive. 

I dont like it!

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Now the question is now. Does the Surface Pro, Ipad better than the Ipad?

(Yes im using ipad as a verb)

I would take the iPad over the Surface any day. I’ve tried both, the pens aren’t even comparable. The iPad thrashes the Surface in this part. In speed the iPad is faster due to the A12X. It’s lighter and thinner IIRC. And it works as a second monitor/drawing tablet if you have a Mac. Really not even close.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

I mean, I started to see the good after letting everything he said sink in. But the problem is the entire script building up to the last 5 minutes is massively negative when the verdict on what iPadOS has become is actually positive. 

I dont like it!

I used to bash Apple too, there is a a massive bias against Apple in tech. Whether it’s the stand and XDR display where people don’t understand the pro market, or the iPhone, or anything else.

10 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

I would take the iPad over the Surface any day. I’ve tried both, the pens aren’t even comparable. The iPad thrashes the Surface in this part. In speed the iPad is faster due to the A12X. It’s lighter and thinner IIRC. And it works as a second monitor/drawing tablet if you have a Mac. Really not even close.

i'd sooner use a windows 95 machine over apple so i could actually do computer stuff , but hey different strokes for different folks

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

i'd sooner use a windows 95 machine over apple so i could actually do computer stuff , but hey different strokes for different folks

I agree, but this isn’t supposed to be a main computer. If I wanted a light desktop replacement I would get an 8 core MacBook or an XPS 15.

28 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I dont like it!

Riley (indicated he had wrote the script) does come off as Apple hater for.... reasons?

hold up, mouse support is a new feature? Are you telling me that no other apple tablet or phone has mouse support? Not only that, but no way to transfer media from one device to the apple device?

wtf
literally how does anyone defend this type of stuff?

36 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yeah but thats what apple wants.

if you hold a tiny bit of the overall market share and want to bash the 90% of people on earth who don't use an apple product , then you better be able to take it yourself.

Trying to justify ignorance with more ignorance is well... ignorant.