Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
James

Does a Case Make Your Phone Slower?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Buy phone cases on Amazon: https://geni.us/6vYbh

We test an iPhone Xs Max and a Samsung Galaxy S10+ with a variety of phone cases – including the Apple leather case – to see if a case can make your phone slower by affecting its thermal performance.

"No"

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
Just now, DrMacintosh said:

"No"

But, case = extra weight.  No case = my phone finishes a 5k faster.

Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU:  Ryzen 5 3600(buying a 3900x in August for it) | CPU Cooler:  Dark Rock Pro 4 | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASRock x470 Taichi | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 48 GB (2 x 16 GB + 2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Crucial BX500 120 GB 2.5" SSD | Storage Drives:  Toshiba X300 4 TB 128 MB Cache 3.5" HDD+PNY CS900 240 GB | GPU:  Sapphire Radeon VII 16 GB HBM2 Video Card | Case:  Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  AOC U2879VF 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor (Replacing with an LG 4k IPS display for game art)+AOC G2460PQU 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro RGB | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  Massdrop x AKG K7XX Audiophile Open-back Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OSes:  Windows 10 Pro+openSUSE Tumbleweed |

VashTheStampede(ROG Zephyrus M GU502):

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

Yes, especially the dual layer, armor style case. I had my ipad in those, got hot without me noticing it.

One day it crash, i feel the heat in the center, i removed the case immediately , never experienced the same problem.

For protection, the armor case saved my ipad many times, my kid once throw it from 1/2 stairs down, still working.

But if i'm using it for myself, i removed the case.

Before I watch the video, a number of years ago I had a non-galaxy samsung in a rubber case that got so hot it shut down.  I was using the gps to get me to a customers house on the out skirts of Denver and drove several miles before I realized the phone had shut down.

cut holes in mine anyway. much easier to hold in hand too

Djcp71fl.jpg

IBg369wl.jpg

mine did overheat quite the bit for some reason, and having the case makes it stay warm for quite a while more, so i decided to just cut it

Hey this was pretty informative, that puts me at ease with my case habits. I always buy clear cases for my phones and then print out some artwork to put it inbetween the case and the phone.

6 hours ago, floofer said:

Really hardly anyone cares about phone performance.

ikr, it stopped mattering about 3 years ago

...is there a question here? ?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

47 minutes ago, imbrock said:

I also wonder if say a metal case could act as a heat sink.

wouldn't those... affect cell signal strength? o_o

also NFC and QI functionality would be blocked ._.

7 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

wouldn't those... affect cell signal strength? o_o

also NFC and QI functionality would be blocked ._.

Depends on the type of metal and placement of it. I've had metal phone cases before and my phone seemed to work normally. I imagine they would just need cutouts or plastic bits near the antennas.

12 hours ago, floofer said:

Really hardly anyone cares about phone performance.

do you mean you don't regularly run bench-marking software 12 times in a row??

There is still more and more of these blog style, fake banter, less scripted episodes, as opposed to the more compact planned out episodes where host reads the teleprompter. I hope this doesn't become the new standard, as it takes way more time to push across the same amount of information.