Second User Into Another Drive

BlackGrim
Go to solution Solved by Tea-Sir,

You can restrict their access some, it just takes a little manual labour.

You can use "Permissions" to keep them out of folders where they have no business. So for your D drive, unless you store software on it, they need to run, you can lock them completely out of it.

Trying to lock them out of the system drive, will be nothing but headaches, but you can, the same way restrict their access to any folders you have created on the C drive.

Just don't try for the default folders (Users, Program Files etc.)

You can move the content of their home-folders to another location, if you are worried about storage consumption, or set up "Quotas". You can not move the AppData folder though, so they will need access to the system drive.

To change permissions:

1. Open "Computer"
  2. Right-click the drive/folder (or select multiple folders if needed) and select properties
  3. Open the "Security"
  4. Click the "Edit" button under first white box (see Screenshot_1)
  5. Click "Add"
  6. Type the name in the third white box, and make sure to click "Check names" (Might be named slightly different, my PC is not setup on english), when it changes the name to COMPUTERNAME\USERNAME, it is correct. Click "OK"
  7. Now set the permissions for the users. And yes, deny means they won't be able to access that folder/drive
  8. Click "OK", and for the final windows click "OK"

Repeat the process as needed. Keep in mind, the system will always respect the most restrictive access. So if they have multiple access ways, like being a member of a group, the most restrictive will be enforced.

If you want to restrict their storage amounts, you can play with quota, it is in the "Properties" window for DRIVES.

But be careful you don't end up restricting yourself too much, you could loose access to change the settings later.

I have never worked with quotas myself, so if you want to, maybe look up a YT video.

Screenshot_1.png

So i have family members who always using my pc (i alwasy monitored them for privacy reasons) so i am thinking of making 2 account but i dont really want them to poking around my C (SSD) and D (HDD) so i cant to that and i am thinking of installing windows 10 on third hard disk but again i will waste a few second just to get into windows (there are reason why i buy ssd even thought they expensive) 

So what i thinking is there anyways for me to have second user linked to my third hard disk (when boot to ssd)?

You can restrict their access some, it just takes a little manual labour.

You can use "Permissions" to keep them out of folders where they have no business. So for your D drive, unless you store software on it, they need to run, you can lock them completely out of it.

Trying to lock them out of the system drive, will be nothing but headaches, but you can, the same way restrict their access to any folders you have created on the C drive.

Just don't try for the default folders (Users, Program Files etc.)

You can move the content of their home-folders to another location, if you are worried about storage consumption, or set up "Quotas". You can not move the AppData folder though, so they will need access to the system drive.

To change permissions:

1. Open "Computer"
  2. Right-click the drive/folder (or select multiple folders if needed) and select properties
  3. Open the "Security"
  4. Click the "Edit" button under first white box (see Screenshot_1)
  5. Click "Add"
  6. Type the name in the third white box, and make sure to click "Check names" (Might be named slightly different, my PC is not setup on english), when it changes the name to COMPUTERNAME\USERNAME, it is correct. Click "OK"
  7. Now set the permissions for the users. And yes, deny means they won't be able to access that folder/drive
  8. Click "OK", and for the final windows click "OK"

Repeat the process as needed. Keep in mind, the system will always respect the most restrictive access. So if they have multiple access ways, like being a member of a group, the most restrictive will be enforced.

If you want to restrict their storage amounts, you can play with quota, it is in the "Properties" window for DRIVES.

But be careful you don't end up restricting yourself too much, you could loose access to change the settings later.

I have never worked with quotas myself, so if you want to, maybe look up a YT video.

Screenshot_1.png