Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KeyzHostHD

Latency & Input

Posted · Original PosterOP

hey.

just a minute ago, i was looking for new monitors or tv, to buy and i noticed that tv's had higher latency, my question is how many "ms" is noticable for a human, i remember reading somewhere that 10ms is almost barely noticable and that anything under that is almost impossible to notice, is this correct ?

3 minutes ago, KeyzHostHD said:

my question is how many "ms" is noticable for a human

It really depends on the person you ask. For me I have a hard time to notice small changes of lantency, but one of my friends can easily detect when the latency is different.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

https://displaylag.com/

yes its noticeable alot by having alot more blur on higher ms screens and lower input latency can be noticed alot especially in competitive games ( css ect )

what about couch co-op or singleplayer games

5 hours ago, KeyzHostHD said:

hey.

just a minute ago, i was looking for new monitors or tv, to buy and i noticed that tv's had higher latency, my question is how many "ms" is noticable for a human, i remember reading somewhere that 10ms is almost barely noticable and that anything under that is almost impossible to notice, is this correct ?

I'd argue ~16ms (or basically a frame at 60Hz) is the threshold at which most people won't even notice anything. ~50ms or so is when it can start becoming noticeable for a lot of people, but something you can compensate for. If you're playing a game, how this affects you depends on how forgiving the game is to "frame perfect" inputs and if the latency is consistent. For example, even if the video is 3 frames behind, as long as it's consistently 3 frames behind, you can simply adjust your timing.

23 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I'd argue ~16ms (or basically a frame at 60Hz) is the threshold at which most people won't even notice anything. ~50ms or so is when it can start becoming noticeable for a lot of people, but something you can compensate for. If you're playing a game, how this affects you depends on how forgiving the game is to "frame perfect" inputs and if the latency is consistent. For example, even if the video is 3 frames behind, as long as it's consistently 3 frames behind, you can simply adjust your timing.

I think the best example that comes to mind regarding lag and latency is if anyone has ever played Guitar Hero back when it first released on older TV's. While it could have been calibrated, out of the box your mind automatically goes into "compensate" mode.

This only worked for small amounts of lag as strumming the guitar before or after you hear a note isn't really the best feedback.

Just now, NinJake said:

I think the best example that comes to mind regarding lag and latency is if anyone has ever played Guitar Hero back when it first released on older TV's. While it could have been calibrated, out of the box your mind automatically goes into "compensate" mode.

This only worked for small amounts of lag as strumming the guitar before or after you hear a note isn't really the best feedback.

I never really liked how Guitar Hero and Rock Band handled audio feedback in general. As long as you get the note, the song plays perfectly. So if you're off by like 1/16th of a note, you'll see your timing is off but you won't hear it.

20 hours ago, KeyzHostHD said:

what about couch co-op or singleplayer games

that depends on personal preference in that regard, i personally prefer lower input lag screens and lower response times on skill games,  and games that are played with a controller or like to *chill in* ,  skyrim for example i wouldnt care for havng a low inputlag tv , but any shooter, any game that requires precise inputs n all, id prefer the low input lag,    i went for samsung qled q6f series due to 100hz at 1080p , low input lag and 4k + qled ,   oled im concerned about burn in :D

(◑‿◐)