Surprise! EA rebrands Loot Boxes as "Surprise Mechanics"

Spotty
3 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

AL has been one of the more F2P friendly gachas out there

I have heard that. I dabbled with others but they didn't grip me as much longer term. I heard whatever the Fate one is was pretty bad.

I'm saving cubes already having got everything in the current Glorious event through lucky drops. Don't need to grind all the way, not that I have the oil for it...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 hours ago, porina said:

I can't prove it, I can't disprove it. But again look at the stats. It was a 1 in 8 chance for me to miss that ship with the number of builds I did, which was above average for anyone not a whale.

On the psychology of game stats, coincidentally I was watching a GDC video presented by Sid Meier (of Civ fame and may other games). In short, he said he had to "fiddle" the stats in the player's favour because two unlikely events happening in a short time was perceived as the game cheating on the player.

Oh, I agree. But also more so when money is involved.

IMO there should be some form of distributed chance in games. Why? It's a game, not real life. XD

But actual dice rolls do turn up as dice rolls, so we are more forgiving if it's 6 1s in a row. So IMO it's just how it's presented to the player. In XCOM they did similar, but again, I think the problem was when they were not totally open to the player in how the game was showing odds. The game giving the aliens vastly superior stats to the player at the start don't help with the feeling the odds are off. It's just the GUI/graphics IMO, not the actual odds, that were off in the game. If there is a point blank shot, and no movement, and the character "misses" the game animates a weird miss, instead of "it dodged" or "there was a distraction" or whatever you'd do in a roleplay %/dice based game. Or in a CIV game, where there was less animation, you'd also roleplay out the results. But in XCOM everything is so well animated, but animated not quite to the %/dice rolls, it feels "off".

In a dice roll, you know if the dice hits 6, you win, if it hits 1 you lose, but in XCOM it just says "50%" to hit, and not really telling you if and how that is going to work. If XCOM hid the percentages and just did "poor, good, great" it's feel less unfair, and more organic. Or if XCOM did it as dice rolls, it would be obvious that it's the result, not a failure in calculations.

YU2vKvw.png

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

On 6/20/2019 at 11:47 AM, Sypran said:

Actually... Those are banned in the US! Cause the plastic eggs inside is considered a choking hazard.

The closest thing we ever got was a candy called a "Wonder ball" which was hollow chocolate with like smaller candies inside.

Lol, there are Kinder Joy eggs, they’re just not the same.

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

Surprise, the content you wanted is locked away behind a randomized barely distributed wall, you can speed up this process by paying us a couple of bucks, but we still won't guarantee it for you. Everything is basically a surprise, what's not a surprise is the lack of quality of our games, going down the shitter but luckily people are still too gullible and will keep buying our games. Who cares if we release FIFA 2 times a year, brain-dead costumers will still buy them.