A Beast to Tame

Ever since I upgraded my original rig in 2015 this PC has been very unstable. I would get freezes without any blue screen, thus very little way to conclude a solution. The screen freezes and audio just cut's out entirely. I just want to know what components could be causing this

I believed that it could be my cpu, as my gpu is new and does get hot but never past 80 degrees for any prolonged amount of time... I'm about to buy a ryzen 3000 series but I want to know what I did wrong to not repeat history :)

my build-

RTX 2070FE

20gb DDR3 at ~1600MHz

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Ultra-CF

AMD-FX9590

Coolermaster V8 GTS

4 Case Fans

NZXT H440

900 watt Gigabyte PSU

did you upgrade your motherboard? If so, did you reinstall your OS when you did?

If not, my best guess would be unstable memory

Depending on the last time you updated the bios that could be a factor. The ram is also probably in a strange configuration if you have 2x8gb and 1x4gb I would remove the 4gb and try with just the 2x8gb in the dual channel slots.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

29 minutes ago, Derrk said:

did you upgrade your motherboard? If so, did you reinstall your OS when you did?

If not, my best guess would be unstable memory

Yes I've reinstalled multiple times, but not immediately after. 

31 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Any OC's? Ever text the RAM with memtest86? Ever check Event Viewer in Windows?

No, No and No lol, how would one go about utilizing the event viewer?

29 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Depending on the last time you updated the bios that could be a factor. The ram is also probably in a strange configuration if you have 2x8gb and 1x4gb I would remove the 4gb and try with just the 2x8gb in the dual channel slots.

It's up to date and yeah it's a bit wonky but it is unstable with or without that 4gb stick

Well...I use an FX 9590 too for my build currently.

It could be the power supply. As soon as I see the word Gigabyte, I think of all sorts of horrendous disasters (Hercules psu's come to mind). I assume you mean the Sumo Power 900w, which according to this review seems okay, but nothing special: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/gigabyte-sumo-power-900w/10.html

The 9590 will be extremely tough on the psu. I bought the best of the best to make sure I avoided any issues with the psu (Got the Corsair AX860i)

Could also be the ram as people have said. 20gb is a bit of an awkward place to be.

It could be temperatures of the cpu because the 9590 has been known to be a fiery uncontrollable monster. A v8 GTS is a pretty good cooler, but it's not on the same tier as the very very best coolers. I made sure when I did my build that I put temperatures as my first priority. I bought a Corsair Air 740 case for airflow, and a Noctua NH-D15, which is widely seen as the best air cooler on the market. I believe you want to be under 70C if I remember correctly. If you're into the 80's (And you could be given this is the 9590 we're talking about) then you're going to need to lower the clock speed and voltage.

2 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Well...I use an FX 9590 too for my build currently.

It could be the power supply. As soon as I see the word Gigabyte, I think of all sorts of horrendous disasters (Hercules psu's come to mind). I assume you mean the Sumo Power 900w, which according to this review seems okay, but nothing special: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/gigabyte-sumo-power-900w/10.html

The 9590 will be extremely tough on the psu. I bought the best of the best to make sure I avoided any issues with the psu (Got the Corsair AX860i)

Could also be the ram as people have said. 20gb is a bit of an awkward place to be.

It could be temperatures of the cpu because the 9590 has been known to be a fiery uncontrollable monster. A v8 GTS is a pretty good cooler, but it's not on the same tier as the very very best coolers. I made sure when I did my build that I put temperatures as my first priority. I bought a Corsair Air 740 case for airflow, and a Noctua NH-D15, which is widely seen as the best air cooler on the market. I believe you want to be under 70C if I remember correctly. If you're into the 80's (And you could be given this is the 9590 we're talking about) then you're going to need to lower the clock speed and voltage.

The cpu (to my knowledge) doesn't go above 75C and it never has in my tests, gonna go run memtest tho

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Any OC's? Ever text the RAM with memtest86? Ever check Event Viewer in Windows?

ran memtest86, no errors :(

3 hours ago, Lance Hightower said:

No, No and No lol, how would one go about utilizing the event viewer?

After a freeze happens, once you're back in Windows open the Event Viewer and look to see if there's any reported errors.

21 minutes ago, Lance Hightower said:

ran memtest86, no errors :(

What kind of media do you have your os installed on? Have you tried dual booting with something like Ubuntu just to see if maybe it's a Windows only problem?