Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TechNexus

Internet Keeps Dropping

Posted · Original PosterOP

So a while (5-6 months) back our internet started to act up, we called Xfinity and went through all the troubleshooting steps got a new modem and it was working fine until 3 months later the same thing happened. It gradually got worse till one weekend we had no internet for 2 days straight. We called them again and this time they sent a service representative to try to fix this issue but it just happened again 2 days later. Speaking to another representative they suggested that it might be a bad ethernet cable and so I ran the modem off wifi only for the same problem to surface up again. So we got a third part modem a Netgear CM1150v, completed the whole activation process and now it happens every 20 mins. I then thought it might have something to do with the router so I checked it settings and every time the internet goes down the router would first say disconnected then ISP's DHCP doesn't function properly. The router I have is an Asus ac3100, I would like to not waste a router this expensive but I'm at the end of my wits and I don't know what else to do anymore.

27 minutes ago, TechNexus said:

-snip-

You need to log into the router and set it up to use the Google DNS and see if that works better, if it's trying to get a random DNS from your ISP that could be the reason why it keeps going out.

Main Desktop: Cpu - I7-8700k @5ghz | Mobo - Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E | Gpu - Evga GTX 1080ti FTW3 Ram - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000mhz | Aio - H100i Pro RGB | Psu - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Fractal Design Meshify C White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 1x 1TB 1x 512GB / 1x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 4TB HDD |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10+ - Ceramic White 512GB |

2 hours ago, TechNexus said:

So a while (5-6 months) back our internet started to act up, we called Xfinity and went through all the troubleshooting steps got a new modem and it was working fine until 3 months later the same thing happened. It gradually got worse till one weekend we had no internet for 2 days straight. We called them again and this time they sent a service representative to try to fix this issue but it just happened again 2 days later. Speaking to another representative they suggested that it might be a bad ethernet cable and so I ran the modem off wifi only for the same problem to surface up again. So we got a third part modem a Netgear CM1150v, completed the whole activation process and now it happens every 20 mins. I then thought it might have something to do with the router so I checked it settings and every time the internet goes down the router would first say disconnected then ISP's DHCP doesn't function properly. The router I have is an Asus ac3100, I would like to not waste a router this expensive but I'm at the end of my wits and I don't know what else to do anymore.

Xfinity customer here. Have you check your modems siganl levels? You can do it by going to 192.168.100.1. Compare your signals to here: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16085

If you signals are not within spec OR on the edge of spec then thats why your disconnecting. If you have a lot of non correctable errors, that also can cause issues. If the issue is happening with multiple modems then it has to be a signal issue. ALSO if you are able to, try to connect the modem outside where it hooks up to the house. If the service works fine at the drop, then most likely your wiring in your home is the issue. I will say this, Xfinity WILL NOT really help you if its your wiring. Though running coax is not hard. 

You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

On 6/19/2019 at 6:11 PM, Donut417 said:

Xfinity customer here. Have you check your modems siganl levels? You can do it by going to 192.168.100.1. Compare your signals to here: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16085

If you signals are not within spec OR on the edge of spec then thats why your disconnecting. If you have a lot of non correctable errors, that also can cause issues. If the issue is happening with multiple modems then it has to be a signal issue. ALSO if you are able to, try to connect the modem outside where it hooks up to the house. If the service works fine at the drop, then most likely your wiring in your home is the issue. I will say this, Xfinity WILL NOT really help you if its your wiring. Though running coax is not hard. 

On 6/19/2019 at 4:30 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

You need to log into the router and set it up to use the Google DNS and see if that works better, if it's trying to get a random DNS from your ISP that could be the reason why it keeps going out.

Hey guys thank you for the help, I first tried switching the DNS servers to google's but after a day and a half the problem kept coming back, and i logged into the modem and checked out the signals and all of them are within the specs. At this moment I am considering if it is a router issue before i try anything with the coaxial cable as I've personally never done that before.

I have a similar issue at the moment... turns out the router is overheating and shutting down. In my case anyways.

12 hours ago, RickL said:

I have a similar issue at the moment... turns out the router is overheating and shutting down. In my case anyways.

The lights on my router still are on they don't turn off. But i used some compressed air to clean it out and put it where it can get a good amount of ventilation.