Remove Windows 10 Volume Bar HUD

Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,
8 hours ago, Husky said:

Hello,

On Windows 10 Version 1903 the on-screen volume bar indicator has changed to include the application that I am changing the volume in. For example, with Chrome open, there is this HUGE block next to it that says "chrome.exe" with big pause/play controls. This is extremely annoying since it covers quite a bit of the content that I am viewing. Unfortunately I can't grab a screenshot of it for some reason.

This was introduced back in Windows 8. Nothing has changed since. If an application choose to give what it plays and art-work to Windows, you will have that box that you see next to the volume bar (Media Overlay Controls). In addition, the OS can send audio control calls to the application (play/pause next/prev)

What has changed, is that Microsoft has added to Chromium web browser, support for Media Overlay Controls. So in other words, added the ability for the web browser to give to Windows the information of the last focused tab that has audio and get supported control calls (play/pause) back so that those buttons works. Google has decided to take this contribution done by Microsoft for Chromium (for its Chromium Edge web browser as well) and put it in its Chrome web browser.

It looks like this when you use Chromium Edge:

27622399_Annotation2019-06-19142546.png.4f34465522745cd3ec9a71f60ad6655e.png

It shows you the video thumbnail from YouTube, title and channel name, when playing a video from YouTube.

Is there any way to remove this? I have already looked around in Settings and couldn't find anything. I just fresh installed Windows 10 Version 1903 a couple weeks ago and don't remember seeing this change, until a week in.

Not from Windows. You need to tell the web browser to stop doing this.

See in Chrome web browser flags page (chrome://flags) if you have: Media Session Service, and disable it.

You'll need to restart the web browser to take effect.

Any help is appreciated! :)

Oh! Few! That means I can do the strict minimum! ?

Hello,

On Windows 10 Version 1903 the on-screen volume bar indicator has changed to include the application that I am changing the volume in. For example, with Chrome open, there is this HUGE block next to it that says "chrome.exe" with big pause/play controls. This is extremely annoying since it covers quite a bit of the content that I am viewing. Unfortunately I can't grab a screenshot of it for some reason.

Is there any way to remove this? I have already looked around in Settings and couldn't find anything. I just fresh installed Windows 10 Version 1903 a couple weeks ago and don't remember seeing this change, until a week in.

Any help is appreciated! :)

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Have you tried -- setting--sound-- advance sound options 

You may find what you need there.

Use the search option for sound, in setting ( top of page )

8 hours ago, Husky said:

Hello,

This was introduced back in Windows 8. Nothing has changed since. If an application choose to give what it plays and art-work to Windows, you will have that box that you see next to the volume bar (Media Overlay Controls). In addition, the OS can send audio control calls to the application (play/pause next/prev)

What has changed, is that Microsoft has added to Chromium web browser, support for Media Overlay Controls. So in other words, added the ability for the web browser to give to Windows the information of the last focused tab that has audio and get supported control calls (play/pause) back so that those buttons works. Google has decided to take this contribution done by Microsoft for Chromium (for its Chromium Edge web browser as well) and put it in its Chrome web browser.

It looks like this when you use Chromium Edge:

27622399_Annotation2019-06-19142546.png.4f34465522745cd3ec9a71f60ad6655e.png

It shows you the video thumbnail from YouTube, title and channel name, when playing a video from YouTube.

Not from Windows. You need to tell the web browser to stop doing this.

See in Chrome web browser flags page (chrome://flags) if you have: Media Session Service, and disable it.

You'll need to restart the web browser to take effect.

Any help is appreciated! :)

Oh! Few! That means I can do the strict minimum! ?