Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Delicieuxz

Cyberpunk's creator slams critics who claim Cyberpunk 2077 is racist / inaccurate to the source, refutes their claims

Morgan MLGman

Please try to be civil and don't go too far into politics, or it will result in the thread being locked

Message added by Morgan MLGman

Posted · Original PosterOP

Last week, gaming news site Rock Paper Shotgun ran an article written by a gaming journalist who is transgender and who emphasizes pronouns on their Twitter profile, who saw the depiction of minorities in Cyberpunk 2077, including "transhumans", black people, and Latinos as uninspired and as reinforcing stereotypes and racism. The author also threw in some swipes at Cyberpunk's gunplay in the same breath, just to make sure readers didn't miss the fact that the article has an objective of taking down the game by any means possible.

I personally suspect the author's criticism is disingenuous and basically made to swipe at CDPR and Cyberpunk in hopes of causing damage to the company and the game's sales because Cyberpunk 2077 wasn't the personal soap box platform the RPS author wanted it to be for transgenders and other groups of people, with game characters' attitude toward modifying themselves in Cyberpunk being the trigger for it all.

Well, the Rock Paper Shotgun article caused a sizable stir from commentators about whether Cyberpunk 2077 was plagued by racist ignorance and cultural insensitivity. One comment made in a reddit thread featuring a video interview with Cyberpunk's creator, Mike Pondsmith, summarized the comments on the RPS article like this:

So the comment section under the Rock Paper Shotgun hit piece had some assholes (one very vocal one, in particular) repeatedly telling everyone that:

1. Mike Pondsmith was involved at some point, but he's definitely not heavily involved anymore, because he'd never sign off on something as "racist" as a gang called "Animals".

2. CDPR deviated from the 2020 canon horribly and inexcusably in their portrayal of the Voodoo Boys.

3. The whole thing just sets off "alarm bells" suggesting that the game is profoundly inauthentic and CDPR didn't really get Cyberpunk.

I wish I could throw this in their faces (if only to see how they'd try to argue 2+2=3), but RPS closed the comments, because they got tired of deleting posts from people telling them how full of shit they were.

That comment sparked a response from Mike Pondsmith, himself, who categorically and succinctly refuted each of those assertions being made by commentators and also in the RPS article.

The response made by Mike (who, in case you didn't know, is himself a black person) reads:

1. If I wasn't heavily involved, I would be able to get more done. As it is, I barely have a life.

2. As for the Animals--the WHOLE FREAKING POINT is that they think of themselves as POWERFUL, DANGEROUS, WILD ANIMALS. You'd have thought the Lady named "Sasquatch" would have given them a clue.

3. The original Voodoo Boys were a scathing commentary on cultural appropriation. I LOVE the idea that real practicioners of Voudon moved in and took back their turf. And they even got the Creole right!

4. Who the (bleep) do YOU think you are to tell ME whether or not MY creation was done right or not?

So, Mike Pondsmith says the critics are wrong and are interpreting things in a way that fuels their agendas rather than how they actually are supposed to be understood.

Another article I read said it's unacceptable to call a gang of (allegedly) mostly-black people The Animals when there's a history of negative association. There was also some criticism over an in-game poster showing a chick with a dick:

Deeply transphobic ad in ‘Cyberpunk 2077’ represents everything wrong with cyberpunk

Cyberpunk 2077 art criticized as transphobic is meant to reflect corporate exploitation, says the artist

I kind of see the RPS article as the author thinking that the world and everyone in it is to be judged based on whether they're using every opportunity as a soap box to further that author's own agenda - including when the author's agenda is unrelated to the projects people are working on. Like, as though the RPS author thinks their personal goal overrides everyone else's and the purposes of other people's work.

I also noticed that the Rock Paper Shotgun article's author takes aim at Cyberpunk 2077's presentation of "transhumans" and black people as allegedly being "unimaginative stereotypes", but then also takes aim at the game's presentation for the opposite, alleging the "clumsy and inauthentic presentation of a Latino character". So, some characters are supposed to be less stereotypical, while others are supposed to be more stereotypical? Or, are the author's attacks on the game disingenuous?

Here's the interview with Cyperbunk creator Mike Pondsmith that the reddit thread was made for:

well *oof*

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

That's great and all, don't really care much since people complaining about politically correct is quite mainstream and the best thing you can do about it is ignore it, what I do want to know is: Will they address this?

image.png.a8357836fdae98d59447074d4f5231e3.png

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Viper Steel |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
1 minute ago, Princess Luna said:

That's great and all, don't really care much since people complaining about politically correct is quite mainstream and the best thing you can do about it is ignore it, what I do want to know is: Will they address this?

what the hell?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Wait, MINIMUM?

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

If you see people as their ethnicity or other group identity first and as humans second, and you are perpetually trying to virtue signal by showing that you stand for the oppressed (in a condescending way) then you will always be offended... You will not be able to explore a beautiful fictional world and revel in the role playing experience.

The game is coming out on current consoles. No way is that the min spec

9 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

3DPR

*CDPR

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with 2019 GPU upgrade and 2020 RAM upgrade) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

2 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

That's kinda rare nowadays, unfortunately..

It's even more bizarre writing an article of underpresentation based on a 40 min gameplay video. The cry to be noticed is through the roof.

But then again, RPS has been especially garbage in the last year so not unexpected.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

8 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

The game is coming out on current consoles. No way is that the min spec

9 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

Wait, MINIMUM?

11 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

10 minutes ago, will1432 said:

what the hell?

Incorrect, that is the build they used during it's 2018 E3 demo:
https://www.vg247.com/2018/06/18/cyberpunk-2077-pc-specs-e3-demo-build/

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

15 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

-snip-

A 1080 Ti and 8700K at minimum spec? Ummmm. Is the recommended spec going to be a freaking super computer? I hope CDPR optimizes the game :) 

EDIT:

I was wrong. Thanks for the correction @williamcll;) 

Incorrect, that is the build they used during it's 2018 E3 demo:
https://www.vg247.com/2018/06/18/cyberpunk-2077-pc-specs-e3-demo-build/

Please ping or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Open file with notepad:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\HOSTS

Add line:

127.0.0.1 rockpapershotgun.com

Save and close file

You're welcome

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

17 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Imagine if we could have a game without political stances, correctness and all other things.

Then you'd have no GTA, Witcher series, Metal Gear Solid series, Scarface.....

The other counter argument is that games are works of art, a reflection of the artist's point of view. Some points of view are meh, others interesting, and some downright ugly.

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

minesweeper.

... mmm actually no, war is politics

Oh, oh. I know! Paint simulator 2014.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Open file with notepad:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\HOSTS

Add line:

127.0.0.1 rockpapershotgun.com

Save and close file

You're welcome

So you want us to block rockpapershotgun.com? 

If so, I gladly accept the protection given by a more worthy person :D 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This somewhat reminds me of how a few years ago a group of prostitutes in Australia successfully petitioned Target [Australia] to remove GTA V from sale because they claimed the game was setting a bad example for children and was not in line with Target's family friendly values.

If you don't like a game; don't play it. That simple.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

24 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Isn't that minimum for RT on? 

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

a group of prostitutes

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

not in line with Target's family friendly values

to anyone wondering, yes, the irony was completely lost on them

Judge the product by it's own merits, not by the Company that created it.