CMOS / Battery - Quick Questions

So I want to reset my CMOS and possibly replace the CMOS battery. My motherboard manual is a bit vague.

How do I safely remove the battery without damaging the motherboard? The manual doesn't say. And where would be a good place to buy a new one? Also, it says to use a metal screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few seconds. I assume I do this with the computer turned off, though I've heard people say you should be touching while you boot which I'd think that's something you shouldn't do. I think I touch the two pins indicated by the green arrows?

uruoyYF.jpg

Push this pin back and the battery should pop out on its own.

image.png.91c13e8c2a32466ee27a5bd869ae36e1.png

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Push this pin back and the battery should pop out on its own.

image.png.91c13e8c2a32466ee27a5bd869ae36e1.png

Ok, thanks, I assumed it had something to do with that. What about clearing the CMOS? 

Just now, Vectraat said:

What about clearing the CMOS? 

"Clearing the CMOS" happens when the battery is removed and put back again after 10 seconds ;) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

"Clearing the CMOS" happens when the battery is removed and put back again after 10 seconds ;) 

Yeah, I was wondering about that. It sounded like that may be the case from reading the manual, but it also sounded like you needed to put in a new battery to clear. The way It's worded in my manual is atrocious. But technically, you're also supposed to be able to touch 2 pins to clear the CMOS as well.  Or you put a cap/jumpers over the two pins. So I was wondering where the two pins were. 

5 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

But technically, you're also supposed to be able to touch 2 pins to clear the CMOS as well.  Or you put a cap/jumpers over the two pins. So I was wondering where the two pins were. 

On some motherboards you can touch 2 pins and that'll clear CMOS. But that's mostly high-end motherboards that has that feature.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Uptivuptiz said:

On some motherboards you can touch 2 pins and that'll clear CMOS. But that's mostly high-end motherboards that has that feature.

Yeah, well it says in my mobo manual that I can touch 2 pins. Do I need to wear an anti-static wrist wrap when I do this or touching my metal case good enough?

41 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

though I've heard people say you should be touching while you boot which I'd think that's something you shouldn't do

Yeah, never ever mess with CMOS-battery or its pins when the PC is turned on. Someone here on the forums did just that and their mobo was broken afterwards.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

43 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

Yeah, well it says in my mobo manual that I can touch 2 pins. Do I need to wear an anti-static wrist wrap when I do this or touching my metal case good enough?

It's always recommended to wear a strap, but I never do it :D Im living on the edge.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯