WD MyCloud

Just got given a wd mycloud device and wondered if there’s anything cool I could do with it other than the basic stuff the software allows. Not got much experience with NAS devices but any cool ideas would be appreciated :)

I'm not sure how to answer that, but you could look into what apps, if any, it offers.  I haven't had a MyCloud device in over a year, but I thought they had some basic apps, like web servers, etc.  I used mine as a photo backup for my wife, and a streaming device so my Xbox One could play ripped movies up in our living room.

On 6/19/2019 at 4:21 PM, UrbanFreestyle said:

Thanks these are really useful! I basically have tried using with the wd apps for various devices but it kinda sucks and is super janky. 

On 6/19/2019 at 3:47 PM, DeaconFrost said:

I'm not sure how to answer that, but you could look into what apps, if any, it offers.  I haven't had a MyCloud device in over a year, but I thought they had some basic apps, like web servers, etc.  I used mine as a photo backup for my wife, and a streaming device so my Xbox One could play ripped movies up in our living room.

That’s basically how I use it right now but the problem I have is that the wd apps such as the pc one is so slow and doesn’t even allow you o select multiple goes to download simultaneously it’s like it was designed 10 years ago

2 hours ago, stormloop said:

... it’s like it was designed 10 years ago 

Mostly because it was. That piece of hardware is basically designed to do one thing... store data. It isn't fast and it isn't versatile. It just... is. One thing it IS though is relativbely affordable.

9 hours ago, GuruOfNothing said:

Mostly because it was. That piece of hardware is basically designed to do one thing... store data. It isn't fast and it isn't versatile. It just... is. One thing it IS though is relativbely affordable.

Makes sense. Guess it’s just getting used for storage until I need something better and can upgrade 

14 hours ago, stormloop said:

That’s basically how I use it right now but the problem I have is that the wd apps such as the pc one is so slow and doesn’t even allow you o select multiple goes to download simultaneously it’s like it was designed 10 years ago

I don't recall ever using a Windows app.  I would configure it through it's web console and then just browse to shares through Windows Explorer.

40 minutes ago, DeaconFrost said:

I don't recall ever using a Windows app.  I would configure it through it's web console and then just browse to shares through Windows Explorer.

Yeah I had that but I often access it remotely and the Windows app allows that. Terrible software thitho