I7-7700k temps

RealDocHolliday

I have an I7-7700k that I've had for awhile now. It works great! it meets my demands, but I'm always looking for ways to improve my PC and get just a little more FPS out of my hardware. I've noticed that when looking online I find temps on it to be a lot lower than mine. I've seen on one forum that someone has idle temps of around 27-30C. I don't have anywhere near that! My idle temp after running continuously is anywhere to around 44-50C. I might be wrong, maybe it's supposed to run this hot, but i don't think it is. When gaming I stick to around 80-87C on BF5 (max/high), but i find quite often that it spikes momentarily up to 90-100C. I've tried stress testing the CPU and comparing it to others temps, using Aida64, stressing the FPU, I INSTANTLY hit 100C and have massive throttles(Highest 57%). I've seen other forums using other software and I've compared it to them aswell, and i find that others temps are always better than mine. for example, on Intels community forum I found someone using CPU-Z for over an hour and only getting temps of 80C (that is unheard of to me, any high intensity stress test maximizes my thermals). I understand that Kaby Lake processors run hotter than the original, but I'm not so sure mine should be running this hot, and I cannot pinpoint what is wrong. Recently, I delidded my CPU and put in Thermal Grizzly Kyronaught but I do not believe it improved my situation as much, if at all.  

Lowest Idle temp:40C

Max Idle temp:54C

average stress temp:100C

Gaming temp AVG:85C

I7-7700k (stock, no OC)

H115i Corsair AIO water cooler

GTX GEFORCE 1080

MSI 150M PRO-VD

I will provide more information if you can help!

Idle temps around 44-50c with a H115i look a bit hot, and those load temps are significantly hotter than they should be.

I'd suggest re-applying thermal paste both under and on the IHS. Those temps are significantly higher than my (non-delidded) i7 8700K even when I'm pushing it to 5.1GHz, and may cause damage to your CPU if run that hot for too long.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

8 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Idle temps around 44-50c with a H115i look a bit hot, and those load temps are significantly hotter than they should be.

I'd suggest re-applying thermal paste both under and on the IHS. Those temps are significantly higher than my (non-delidded) i7 8700K even when I'm pushing it to 5.1GHz, and may cause damage to your CPU if run that hot for too long.

Those temperatures will degrade his cpu quite a bit if kept there for prolonged periods

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Mounting pressure could be a factor, or perhaps a problem with the pump

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Yeah that's a bit hot, my delidded 7700K on an H80i V2 gets to like, 70C max, but I'm only OC'ed to 4.7Ghz

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

2 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Mounting pressure could be a factor, or perhaps a problem with the pump

I don't think its bad contact or mounting pressure, I just tested this by stressing fpu to get my temps up (100C unfortunately) and I can see that the water temp is rising considerably fast. I think that indicated that heat is being transferred well. But I don't know how to see if the pump is bad, I dont hear any odd noises and I Imagine if it was bad then I wouldn't be able to do anything at all let alone test it like this or play games. It may also be worth mentioning that my idle water temp is around 30-32C if my memory serves me correctly. 

Mine was delidded and idles at about 30°C usually. The max in games would normally be somewhere around high 60's to 70°C with a 240mm Arctic Liquid Freezer. I have mine at 4.8GHz and it needs around 1.32v, but if I dial it back to 4.7GHz at 1.25v it runs a few degrees cooler.

EDIT: These are my HWMonitor temps at 4.8GHz after running Cinebench R20:

Temp2.PNG.bc0036efa0ecf0e9871c837c91380eea.PNG

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

Voltages... At least for under load. Idle is really nothing to worry about, but you should be able to drop load temps when you limit how much voltage CPU can draw.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

A few things I have tried. 

• delidding again and re-applying thermal paste
  • re-applying thermal paste on the IHS
  • Cleaning Radiator
  • Switching around pump SATA power connectors.

While I was thinking about what to do I switched my SATA power connector that goes to the water pump and used a can of air to clean some of the fins on the radiator.

This saw an improvement, so naturally i took the radiator out (because it was very dirty in the places i could not hit with the duster) and proceeded to clean the entire radiator.

Upon Re-installation i found myself back where I was with temps. In gaming it is arguably lower, but I just feel like it could be better as I am still hitting 80-95C very frequently. 

I still max thermals on Aida64, and other stress tests.

While cleaning the radiator I could hear the water moving around and making noises. Are small air bubbles in the Radiator a bad thing? I'm not too familiar with this.

As for the Vcore suggestion I tried that, However my Motherboard does not support tinkering with my processor (B150M Pro-VD)

I am also now noticing Idle water temps of 40C. I'm in the Military and live in 29 Palms in the barracks and I understand ambient temps result in higher water temps etc but I don't think that My room is THIS hot.

On 6/18/2019 at 8:19 PM, steocullen91 said:

Mine was delidded and idles at about 30°C usually. The max in games would normally be somewhere around high 60's to 70°C with a 240mm Arctic Liquid Freezer. I have mine at 4.8GHz and it needs around 1.32v, but if I dial it back to 4.7GHz at 1.25v it runs a few degrees cooler.

EDIT: These are my HWMonitor temps at 4.8GHz after running Cinebench R20:

Temp2.PNG.bc0036efa0ecf0e9871c837c91380eea.PNG

What is your Coolers Water temp? and ambient temp

My current cooler doesn't monitor the water temp, but the IR thermometer I have measures about 23°C at the front fan intake and after running Cinebench again I got temps 1°C lower than that picture.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

15 hours ago, RealDocHolliday said:

As for the Vcore suggestion I tried that, However my Motherboard does not support tinkering with my processor (B150M Pro-VD)

Thats unfortunate as it would fix this. Voltage control is available with Z- and H-series mobos, even for non-K CPUs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The motherboard must be setting the vcore must be crazy high for the temps to be that high at stock clocks, I wouldn't be surprised if it's giving it over 1.4v. Delidding brought my temps down by at least 15°C, I used liquid metal under the IHS. Before delidding, my temps were really high, but at stock they still weren't as high as yours, even despite the fact that I was only using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 at the time.

This is mine after 5 minutes of AIDA64. I have AVX offset set to 2 so it was running the stress test at 4.6GHz, but the only reason it even got as hot as it did is because my fan curve is very silent.

AIDA64.png

14 hours ago, steocullen91 said:

The motherboard must be setting the vcore must be crazy high for the temps to be that high at stock clocks, I wouldn't be surprised if it's giving it over 1.4v. Delidding brought my temps down by at least 15°C, I used liquid metal under the IHS. Before delidding, my temps were really high, but at stock they still weren't as high as yours, even despite the fact that I was only using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 at the time.

This is mine after 5 minutes of AIDA64. I have AVX offset set to 2 so it was running the stress test at 4.6GHz, but the only reason it even got as hot as it did is because my fan curve is very silent.

AIDA64.png

I have monitored this during a day of gaming. I watched it get as high as 1.356. Would lowering to a max of 1.25 really be that much of an improvement on my thermals? If so I suppose Ill need a new mobo soon.

14 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Thats unfortunate as it would fix this. Voltage control is available with Z- and H-series mobos, even for non-K CPUs.

Thank you for this information. Will be very helpful in the near future. haha

10 hours ago, RealDocHolliday said:

I have monitored this during a day of gaming. I watched it get as high as 1.356. Would lowering to a max of 1.25 really be that much of an improvement on my thermals? If so I suppose Ill need a new mobo soon.

The vcore does make a massive difference to the temps. You should be able to get 1.2v or less at stock speed but each chip varies.

• 4 years later...

My 7700k is having similar issue, when I OC it and run prime95 it instantly hits 100C, stock settings it hits max 80. It is delidded with liquid metal. Did you ever figure out what was wrong?