144megabits per second but pc only getting 30-40

CrazieChipmunk

So i went on wifi analyzer and it said i have 144mbps which is what i should have however im only getting 20-40mbps on all devices tested

Wi-Fi speed is dependent on the following:

• Actual network quality from where you are (signal quality is separate from network quality)
  • How many devices are on the network and actively using it (only one device can talk over Wi-Fi at a time)
  • How fast these devices are talking (the network has to slow down if the slowest device is talking)

The best test is to test the server of your provider. This will give you a speed test between your modem, and their equipment. If it shows 144, you are getting the speed provided. Granted that then needs to get passed off to whoever needs it (this webpage, games, etc) 

PC Set up 

CPU: I9-9900k

Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro-Wifi

GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gamin Z 

Cooling: Cooler Master ML360R AIO

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16 GB 3000MHZ (8GB X 2) 

RAM: Corsair Vengence Pro Lighting Enhancement Kit (0GB X 2) 

Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 

PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750 W 80+ Gold Fully Modular 

Case: CoolerMaster MB511 RGB 

Build Log found here:

18 minutes ago, CrazieChipmunk said:

So i went on wifi analyzer and it said i have 144mbps which is what i should have however im only getting 20-40mbps on all devices tested

Having a 144Mb/s connection speed doesn't mean your internet service speed is 144Mb/s, it just means the connection between your device and your router/access point is 144Mb/s.

For example, my phone currently has a 195Mb/s connection to my router, but if I run a speed test, I only get about 90Mb/s. That's because that's the speed of my internet service.

If I transfer a file from my phone to my computer on the same network though, then I'd get to use the full 195Mb/s connection.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

WiFi Analyzer does not show your actual throughput.

What it shows is the theoretically maximum throughput you could achieve between your phone and the router with the current settings (negotiated automatically, based on the signal quality).

That is to say, in the perfect world with no interference, no packet loss, no need to resend anything, you would get 144 Mbps throughput between your phone and the router. However, after that there might be speed limits, such as the link between your router and your ISP being limited.

The speed at which you transfer things is only as fast as the slowest link, which is probably less than 144Mbps.