Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rinboo

Alternatives to wearing a static wrist band

2 minutes ago, Rinboo said:

Please help me understand, I'm new to pc building.

I've built many PCs in the past, and I've never worn a static wrist band. You don't need one.

Just place your motherboard on a piece of cardboard (before building in a case), don't stand on a carpet floor, don't wear anything with wool, and take off your socks. And most importantly, use common sense.

To ground yourself, just touch your PSU shell every little while (if you're really scared that you'll fry your components).

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm building my first pc and don't wanna spend my money on a static wrist band as I'm really tight on budget. What are some of the other options I have that doesn't involve frying my parts?

Can I touch the ground once-in-awhile or touch something made out of metal (something other than my pc parts), does it work like that? Please help me understand, I'm new to pc building. Please tell me how to handle pc parts carefully. Thanks :D

Follow the basic rules:

1. only touch it when you need to

2. touch it on the edge of the pcb or other parts which are "safe" to touch

3. don't charge your self too much

well I recently just built one, and I did not use it. Honestly, you don't need it, most people don't use it because pc parts have gotten a lot more resistant to static electricity. Just don't build on carpet and stuff that could generate a lot of static electricity.

But, if you do want to take the extra precaution, DISCLAIMER: I DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HERE I'm pretty sure that you can plug in the power supply and just touch that every now and again. 

honestly, you should be fine. 

Posted · Best Answer
2 minutes ago, Rinboo said:

Please help me understand, I'm new to pc building.

I've built many PCs in the past, and I've never worn a static wrist band. You don't need one.

Just place your motherboard on a piece of cardboard (before building in a case), don't stand on a carpet floor, don't wear anything with wool, and take off your socks. And most importantly, use common sense.

To ground yourself, just touch your PSU shell every little while (if you're really scared that you'll fry your components).

CPU: Intel® Xeon® X5675 @ 4.62 GHz 1.4V Motherboard: ASUS P6X58-E WS (BCLK: 201 MHz) CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 & Noctua NA-SRC10 RAM: Crucial DDR3-1606 8-11-11-28 (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce® GTX 770 DirectCU II SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDD: WD Green 3.5" 1TB (7.2K RPM) PSU: Corsair AX860i & White CableMod ModFlex™ Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Monitor: Samsung S24D390 23.6" 1080p 60Hz 250 nit PLS (OC'd to 75Hz) Keyboard: Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Browns) Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Racing Wheel: Logitech G27

Model: ASUS ROG G750JW CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ @ 3.4GHz GPU: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 765M RAM: DDR3-1600 11-11-11-28 (3x4GB) SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 2.5" 120GB HDD: Toshiba 2.5" 750GB (5.4K RPM) Display: 17.3" 1080p 60Hz 350 nit TN Monitor: Dell E2418HN 24" 1080p 60Hz 250 nit IPS Battery: 88 Wh Mouse: Logitech MK235

Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, r2724r16 said:

Alright sir :D thanks for answering ❤️

12 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Your PSU needs to be connected to a grounded outlet though (PSU doesn't need to be turned on).

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"How can someone win if winning means that someone loses" - Scatman John

"64 bits, 32 bits, 16 bits, 8 bits, 4 bits, 2 BITS, 1 BIT, HALF BIT, QUARTER BIT, THE WRIST GAAAAAAME!!!" - Angry Video Game Nerd

Gear:                           .                                                                                                                         .

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 || Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz (running at 2933Mhz) || GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || PSU: Corsair RMx 750W

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm || Mouse: Roccat Kiro || Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL || Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Minibois' Digital Art Thread

Reviews: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Wacom Intuos Pen Small || Roccat Kiro

Threads: Pokémon Thread || Dutch Talk || Super Smash Bros. Melee Thread

Setup: Current setup

I mean I built my new PC on fluffy carpet wearing moderately fluffy clothes, although I did have my PC on a cardboard mat. An anti static wristband or ankle band it really just to protect against the off chance that it might happen.

PS: try your hardest to not be building on carpet.

Current PC: i5-3570, Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H, 12 GB RAM @1333 MHz, MSI Gaming X RX 480 OC'd to 1400MHz core and 2050MHz memory. 240GB Crucial BX500, 500GB Seagate HDD, Antec Truepower Classic 650W

Peripherals: Old Logitech mouse, Redragon K552-R Kumara, LG Flatron W2353V, Sony ZX770BN headphones.

Laptop: Dell Latitude E5470 upgraded by my store (i5 6300U, 8GB DDR4 @2133, 500GB SSD)

I use the anti-static gloves that came with my gpu

Current, New Rig

Mobo: MSI Z390 Godlike // CPU: i9-9900K // GPU: Galax Hall of Fame 2080 Ti // RAM: 32GB Dual Channel // Cooling: D15S with 3 Noctua Fans // Storage: 1TB SSD Samsung 860 EVO, 6TB Seagate Barracuda PRO // PSU: RMi 850w 80+ Gold // Case: TT View 37 RGB Edition

Old Rig (Now Retired)

Mobo: Asus B85M-E // CPU: i7-4770K // GPU: Gigabyte G1 1070 // RAM: 16GB Single Channel // Cooling: Stock Intel // Storage: 167 GB SDD OCZ Agility3, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda // PSU: AeroCool Strike X 800w 80+ Silver // Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Blue LED Mid-Tower

Peripherals And Others

Mouse: Razer Mamba Tournament Edition // Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury White // Headphone: Razer Man'O War 7.1 // Display: LG 2560x1080 25' 60Hz Ultrawide // UPS: Pure Sine Wave, Online Topology 3000VA (2100w) (this shit is heavy as fuck)

- Previously ReggieGRS

You do need something,   Sure you might get away with it once twice but that time you kill a $400 CPU, you'll learn the hard way.

For a whole $3 it's just not worth the risk.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

33 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

don't wear anything with wool

One slight addition to this: don't wear anything that seems like it could create static energy (for example things of wool). Not all wool is bad though: I always wear merino wool t-shirts and have never had issues with static electricity. On the other hand, non-wool clothes (generally sweaters and the like) have created static electricity much more easily.

I've personally also never used a static wrist band, never broken anything either (knocks on wood lol). If I remember I do like to ground me to a power supply or central heating thing (dunno if that works even lol), but I often forget so whatever. My house doesn't have carpet, so that helps a lot too.

Have fun with your first PC build! :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Like r2724r16 says above, anti-static wrist thing is optional. As long as you're aware that you can charge up with static electricity and discharge yourself from time to time, you'll be fine.

You can reduce the chances of charging yourself in the first place by avoiding building computers on carpets and materials that would charge you with electricity through friction... rub your feet on carpet and you may charge up with electricity.. use clothes with synthetic materials or wool and rub them against back of your chair and you may charge with electricity... depending on clothes, you may rub against a leather seat and you'd charge with electricity.

It's not just wool, there are for example "business" seats with fake leather or material that's supposed to "breathe" and reduce sweat, and these can have materials that will cause static electricity when you rub your back against them, if you have some types of clothes ( mix of cotton and synthetic strands for example)

You can discharge yourself by touching some metal that's grounded - a power supply by itself is not grounded, but if you plug the mains cable in the power supply and the mains cable is plugged into a grounded outlet, then the whole case of that power supply is connected to ground even when the power supply is turned off. 

So simply touching the metal of a power supply (should be metal, not paint) will discharge you.

Also, if you install the power supply inside the case, then the whole metal case of your computer becomes grounded. So, touching any unpainted part of the metal case will discharge you from static electricity.

Again... the key point is there must be a connection to ground - just touching the metal of a case is not enough.  Touching the metal of a case works IF there's also a power supply installed in the case and there's a mains cable connecting the power supply to a grounded outlet ... you need a metal wire all the way from the case to the ground (earthing wire).

So make a habit out of it... either plug the power supply into a grounded outlet, or install the power supply first inside the case and plug it in a grounded outlet.

Before you touch anything that's static sensitive, simply touch an exposed metal part of the case of the power supply.

Grab components by the edges and try not to touch exposed metal bits on your motherboard (pins, headers) or pins on your CPU with your fingers. - even if you forget to discharge yourself, components like motherboards, video cards and so on don't have any metal bits close to the edges. If you're really charged with static electricity in general electricity can only jump around half a centimeter to 1cm from your fingers to an exposed metal bit so by grabbing components by the edges, you reduce the chance of touching pins or getting your fingers close to pins. 

Last but not least, modern components these days do contain protections against static shocks, so they're not as sensitive as previous generations of electronics. Even if you do zap a component there's a high chance you won't damage it. Not saying it's good to rely on this and grab components any way you want to, just saying you don't have to be so paranoid about it.

Exercise care, grab by the ages, try to discharge yourself before you grab things... but don't stress too much about it. 

An anti-static wrist wrap is basically just a tiny resistor and a metal wire that connects to the ground pin of an outlet, that's all there is to it. It's not a magical device. Touching the grounded metal does the same job only you're not getting continuously discharged through the metal wire of the wrist wrap device.

An option is to directly touch bare metal on the case before doing anything, it he same physical connection as wearing a static wristband. But you should have your power supply plugged in and screwed in, that way it's actually grounded.

37 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Don't make generalizations. You might not need one, but the OP might. I absolutely need them during the winter months. Just shifting slightly generates enough static to shock you. I ruined a motherboard the one time I forgot.

@Rinboo To ground yourself, plug in power supply but switch it off (there should be a power switch on the back). Just touch it every once in awhile. I don't know what your climate is like, so it may be a non issue, but better safe than sorry.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  How to build a gaming PC for $400US or less   |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures

I mean, there is the flip side. I've built all the PCs in this house wearing socks on carpet, and each one has powered on and lasted just fine. PC parts are more durable then people tend to think, but please exercise safety regardless. Your graphics card wont just die because you accidentally touched a capacitor on the back of the graphics card whilst standing on carpet, but that doesn't mean you should go out and do this anyway.

Spoiler

Remember to quote me or tag me to get my attention in a post!

Spoiler

Yukuru (Main rig): R5 2400G | Noctua L9a | VTX R9 Nano 4GB | 2x8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2800 (@2400MHz) | ASRock A300M-STX | 128GB Plextor M6s + 2TB Seagate FireCuda 2TB 5400RPM SSHD | Delta 120W Power brick (Thanks @iamdarkyoshi) | Custom Case (Build log| MSX

Spoiler

Blast From the Past (Disassembled and decommissioned as of the 7th of December, 2016, you will be missed): Asus A8Js | C2D T7200 @ 2GHz | Nvidia Go 7700 512MB DDR2 | 2x1GB DDR2-667 Kingston RAM | Hitachi TravelStar 5K160 160GB 5400 HDD | Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch late 2013 model i7-4558U (2C/4T @ 3.3GHz Turbo) Intel Iris 5100 graphics (1200MHz boosts) 8GB DDR3-1600 Soldered on 2560 x 1600 display (Looks very nice) Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Box (Brother's Rig): R5 1500X | Stock AMD Cooler | ASRock B450 Pro4 | Asus HD 7970 3GB Matrix Platinum | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 | Crucial BX200 240GB | Aerocool Strike-X 500W | Win7 Home Premium

Spoiler

Spiky Box (Sister's Rig): G3258 | Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2 | Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Sapphire R9 290X 4GB Vapor-X | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair CX600 | Aerocool Xpredator X3 Red/Gold edition (My old case) | MSX 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Whitelist | PSU Tier List F@H stats | Mining Ethereum