Xbox one controller on PC

Hello, I want to buy an Xbox one controller to use on my via bluetooth (I have a bluetooth dongle) but I'm not sure which is the controller model compatible with bluetooth. 

Are all of them compatible? If you guys can reply with an amazon link or some info I will appreciate it a lot. 

Thanks in advance. 

10 minutes ago, Tjdraxus said:

Hello, I want to buy an Xbox one controller to use on my via bluetooth (I have a bluetooth dongle) but I'm not sure which is the controller model compatible with bluetooth. 

Are all of them compatible? If you guys can reply with an amazon link or some info I will appreciate it a lot. 

Thanks in advance. 

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/accessories/https%3A%2F%2Fsupport.xbox.com%2Fen-US%2Fxbox-on-windows%2Faccessories%2Fconnect-xbox-one-controller-to-pc

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

Any regular xb1 controller since 2016 has bluetooth. The old elite controller doesn't have bluetooth but the new 'elite 2" does.

If you're not sure, look at the top section surrounding the xbox button. If it's the same color/texture as the main body, it's new. If it's the same color as the bumpers, it's old.

Also remember that any micro-USB cable (not USB-C) will also allow you to connect the controller to Windows 10, without depleting your batteries.

Only the Xbox One S controllers have Bluetooth. Those are the ones with model number 1708, but it's easier to recognize them by just looking at the front. 

There is an Xbox logo on the front of the controller, if it is NOT bluetooth compatible, there will be some glossy plastic around it. If IT IS bluetooth compatible, it will be just one piece.

Spoiler

New style (bluetooth compatible):

Xbox_One_controller_model_1708_(39160219920)_(cropped).jpg

Spoiler

Old style:

e78341e6-37be-49a8-9044-f9389a0384de.jpg

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

This goes the same with DualShock 4s, although Xbox controllers have better support (unless you’re using steam) 

1 minute ago, bob3002 said:

Any regular xb1 controller since 2016 has bluetooth. The old elite controller doesn't have bluetooth but the new 'elite 2" does.

If you're not sure, look at the top section surrounding the xbox button. If it's the same color/texture as the main body, it's new. If it's the same color as the bumpers, it's old.

Also remember that any micro-USB cable (not USB-C) will also allow you to connect the controller to Windows 10, without depleting your batteries.

Just now, bob3002 said:

Thanks and could it have issues with a generic bluetooth dongle? 

8 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

This goes the same with DualShock 4s, although Xbox controllers have better support (unless you’re using steam) 

DS4 has better support for steam games? 

9 minutes ago, Tjdraxus said:

Yeah, actually it has full compatibility. Steam’s great that way! 

12 minutes ago, Tjdraxus said:

Possibly, although it shouldn’t be noticeable. Microsoft makes a usb dongle meant for connecting then that’s like $25, so if you’re having issues maybe get one of those. 

40 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

Yeah, actually it has full compatibility. Steam’s great that way! 

Dang it! then I guess I'll do some more research, all DS4 are bluetooth capable? 

39 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

Possibly, although it shouldn’t be noticeable. Microsoft makes a usb dongle meant for connecting then that’s like $25, so if you’re having issues maybe get one of those. 

$60 plus tax, Ecuador has stupid prices for that kinda stuff. 

1 hour ago, Tjdraxus said:

dualshocks and xbox controllers both have the same support for steam, given their similar button layout etc. It's personal preference

You can also use them wired via Micro USB, that's what I'm doing with mine (which is the older non-bluetooth model)

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

It really shouldn't have issues with generic bluetooth, but as always wireless can be finicky.

If it does you can use a cable until you can get a better bluetooth dongle or the official wireless dongle (which uses 2.4 Ghz radio instead of BT and thus works with old and new controllers)

Xbox controllers use xinput, which is supported in most modern games. For legacy games, Steam has a wrapper built in to emulate classic gamepads/joystick input. I believe the Playstation DS4 also works on Steam but I have no personal experience using that controller on Windows.

6 hours ago, Minibois said:

Only the Xbox One S controllers have Bluetooth.

6 hours ago, Minibois said:
  Hide contents

New style (bluetooth compatible):

Xbox_One_controller_model_1708_(39160219920)_(cropped).jpg

I use this one, and it works fine, but the latency is not so good.. It just connects to any built-in bluetooth. My PC has built-in bluetooth and it connects it just fine without any additional receiver. Simple plug and play with Windows 10.

I can see the input lags on this controller are real either in wireless or wired mode.

I use it to play Monster Hunter World, and that game needs so much accurate timing in split seconds in most of fights, so I sometimes missed a critical action with it.

I dont know if DS4 has the same input lags or the better one than the Xbox One S controller.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

4 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

I use this one, and it works fine, but the latency is not so good.. It just connects to any built-in bluetooth. My PC has built-in bluetooth and it connects it just fine without any additional receiver. Simple plug and play with Windows 10.

I can see the input lags on this controller are real either in wireless or wired mode.

I use it to play Monster Hunter World, and that game needs so much accurate timing in split seconds in most of fights, so I sometimes missed a critical action with it.

I dont know if DS4 has the same input lags or the better one than the Xbox One S controller.

Personally I use this controller on PC using the Microsoft USB adapter (large/old one) and don't notice any significant input lag.although the games I use it with (racing - Dirt 3 and platforming - Sonic) may not be the most fast sort of games.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

18 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

The main reason I started this thread is cuz I wanna play fighting games, input lag can mess up a bit. 

The main reason I started this thread is cuz I wanna play fighting games, input lag can mess up a bit. 

Here, I found this comparison chart. You'd better use DS4 for its better latency than XB1S controller.

rum4H5-JbHVIM3ZNnW-lYAT32_Sohu66QrbxzHZyrGg.thumb.png.e4e5c99915588c0d9169dc9825d1647f.png

XB1S controller has 17ms input lag. LOL

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs: