X570 or the x470/b450carbon ac

So Im stuck, in about 6months im planning to build a new pc for myself(i know very selfish) but there is a slight issue im pretty sure im going to get amd's 5700xt due to it being "better ish value" and it suits my gaming and 3d rendering needs however the big elephant in the room is PCI-E gen 4 which the 5700xt uses "supposedly"(cant be sure it is a corporation and they do lie) but i dont know if its work spending a arm for a motherboard just to "future proof it".

I forgot to say at the end do i got for the 570 or wait for a new bseries board or go for the old ones

Just now, CrazieChipmunk said:

I forgot to say at the end do i got for the 570 or wait for a new bseries board or go for the old ones

B450 is better/ has more features than the x470 when it comes to the gaming Pro Carbon.

no B550 Boards have been announced as of yet, might be another year or so

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

The card will run in PCIe 3 without problems... even in PCIe 2. Its backwards compatible. 

If you think you're gonna upgrade to a 12 core or 16 core Ryzen in the future, go with x570 chipset based motherboards.

If that's unlikely, a x470 motherboard would work well. Higher end B450 motherboards should also work well.

These are highly likely they'll get bios updates to support the new Ryzen 3 series processors. Cheaper / Budget B450 boards with only 4-6 phase VRMs may have problems running Ryzen 3 processors with more than 8 cores or may not get bios updates to support any or ALL Ryzen 3 processors.

The pci-e 4 is not really a big deal, don't be stressed so much about it and don't consider it a factor. The Navi card will run just fine at pci-e 3.0 x16 speeds and there shouldn't be a significant drop in performance, if I were to guess I would say less than 1% drop in performance between pci-e 3 x16 and 4 x16.

The other benefit of x570 based motherboards is that the chipset has more pci-e lanes to allocate to m.2 connectors and pci-e slots. The x470 chipset has only 8 pci-e lanes while the x570 has 12 lanes ... so for example, if you have a 4K capture card that needs a pci-e x4 slot, and other things that use your pci-e x1 slots, then a x570 motherboard may make sense to you and be worth the extra cost.

Either way, look into something around the 130-150$ for a motherboard. Anything cheap may cause problems with some Ryzen 3 processors due to weak VRM (voltage regulator for the processor, which converts 12v into what processor needs)

I’d get the X470 Pro Carbon unless you’re looking at the 12/16 cores and need the new and improved VRMs. PCIe 4.0 is completely irrelevant for GPUs right now and I don’t think we’re expecting that to change any time soon. The big selling point of PCIe 4.0 is storage imo, NVME drives made for PCIe 4.0 will perform great. 

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

1 minute ago, melete said:

I’d get the X470 Pro Carbon unless you’re looking at the 12/16 cores and need the new and improved VRMs. PCIe 4.0 is completely irrelevant for GPUs right now and I don’t think we’re expecting that to change any time soon. The big selling point of PCIe 4.0 is storage imo, NVME drives made for PCIe 4.0 will perform great. 

B450 Carbon is slightly better. Better components + more features.

but if OP is going for a 12core I think X570 might be better in place to take full capability of the chip. We will see once benchmarks and reviews are out how they handle it

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Well i was going to to get the 3700x and overclock it so i think im going to go for a b450 carbon ac atx 

15 minutes ago, CrazieChipmunk said:

Unless i cant overclock but that aint a problem 4.3ghz is plenty

3700X will pull less power when overclocked than 2700X did so you're going to be just fine.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

9 hours ago, CrazieChipmunk said:

Well i was going to to get the 3700x and overclock it so i think im going to go for a b450 carbon ac atx 

I have the B450 gaming pro Carbon with a 2700x clocked at 4.1 @ 1.35v.

works a dream.