OS reinstall for AMD to Intel switch?

PlayboiCarti

Hi all,

I have a AMD 7890K which I am now swapping out for a i5-3470S, all my OS etc is all on my SSD with my mass storage on my 2TB HDD, when I assembled the mobo, CPU etc and plugged in the SSD, the OS wasn't picked up in the BIOS of the new mobo, the actual SSD as a piece of hardware could be selected as a boot option but didn't boot in to windows it said "no OS found" or something along them lines. I then took the same SSD and put it back in my original AMD build and it booted just fine.

Any ideas? Will I need to reinstall the OS againnfor the Intel CPU? 

any ideas would be appreciated, thanks 

PS. Would all my programs etc on my D drive work on a fresh reinstall of windows?

Thanks again.

I always prefer to do the clean install.  With a little planning ahead of time, like having drivers on a flash drive, it takes less than 2 hours, but guarantees the most lean and efficient system.  If it was me, I'd pull the power on the 2 TB, then power on and install cleanly to the SSD.  Once it was up and running, with updates and drivers installed, I'd shut down, plug in the 2 TB, and boot up again.  Depends on the programs, but if they were installed previously, they likely will not work.  

Yes you NEED to reinstall windows when changing motherboards.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Programs need to be reinstalled, only portable programs can be moved between systems.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yes you NEED to reinstall windows when changing motherboards.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Programs need to be reinstalled, only portable programs can be moved between systems.

Yup!  However I opened a thread long time ago about just putting in your new Mobo Ram and CPU and on Windows 10 only,, there is a good chance it will say detecting devices and blah blah,, and windows will start up.  This only works with Windows 10.  Also it was swapping Intel for Intel, not going to AMD;  now that may not work.  But ya clean install is always recommended.  

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

17 minutes ago, DeaconFrost said:

I always prefer to do the clean install.  With a little planning ahead of time, like having drivers on a flash drive, it takes less than 2 hours, but guarantees the most lean and efficient system.  If it was me, I'd pull the power on the 2 TB, then power on and install cleanly to the SSD.  Once it was up and running, with updates and drivers installed, I'd shut down, plug in the 2 TB, and boot up again.  Depends on the programs, but if they were installed previously, they likely will not work.  

there is no need to unplug any hard drives

if you reset the pc via the windows built in utility it gives you an option to format only the drive that windows occupies

Why take that risk?  It literally takes seconds to ensure the drive will be untouched.  Give his applications may be in a non-standard location, why leave it up to chance?  For me, I say just do i the right way, where you know your data is safe.

11 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

there is no need to unplug any hard drives

if you reset the pc via the windows built in utility it gives you an option to format only the drive that windows occupies

Reset is not the same as a clean install.

He should clean isntall properly, unplugging all except the OS drive, then deleting all the partitions.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Do you need to? With Windows 10 it's not strictly necessary, any other version it is.

Should you? Absolutely yes, even on Windows 10.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

14 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Do you need to? With Windows 10 it's not strictly necessary, any other version it is. 

Even with Linux?

2 hours ago, PlayboiCarti said:

Hi all,

I have a AMD 7890K which I am now swapping out for a i5-3470S, all my OS etc is all on my SSD with my mass storage on my 2TB HDD, when I assembled the mobo, CPU etc and plugged in the SSD, the OS wasn't picked up in the BIOS of the new mobo, the actual SSD as a piece of hardware could be selected as a boot option but didn't boot in to windows it said "no OS found" or something along them lines. I then took the same SSD and put it back in my original AMD build and it booted just fine.

Any ideas? Will I need to reinstall the OS againnfor the Intel CPU? 

any ideas would be appreciated, thanks 

PS. Would all my programs etc on my D drive work on a fresh reinstall of windows?

Thanks again.

Just change your bios from uefi to legacy and boot.

And no, you don't must to reinstall or made clean install or other magic stuff like that. Windows will recognize new hardware with first boot.