Why the GTX 1650 excites me

TheLostViking

Tl;DR: I am excited for the budget and efficiency builds of the future as well as improvements in power usage for all future GPUs given what I believe will come from this card.

Going to address the elephant in the room right now; I know there are better bang for your buck cards, I know there are cards that will give me vastly superior performance for a nearly equivalent price point, and I am aware of all the arguments as to why I should not purchase a 1650.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let me explain why this GPU excites me.

Firstly, it outputs better performance than the GTX 660 ti at half the power draw. The 660 ti was part of my first "big boy" computer build back in 2012 and I use it as a measuring stick for all modern budget cards since I'm still able to get respectable performance out of that little beast all these years later.

Secondly, given the non OC versions lack of PSU connection, it reduces cable clutter in builds that need as much space saving as possible (think Mini-ITX builds using only M.2 chips for hard drives with fully modular PSUs). This makes it a perfect card for people looking to add a bit of performance to prebuilt systems that use proprietary PSUs that they cannot replace. With only 75W of power draw you could drop this bad boy in to practically any system and start playing titles as demanding as Witcher 3 (granted at bare bones settings, but still). Given my love of aesthetics and clean looking builds, having things that lack cables is just peachy.

Thirdly, cooling. Less electricity means less heat. Keeping a system running at optimal temperatures is key for PC longevity. The deployment and development of these technologies will aide in the fight against overheating and prolong PC lifespans. Given the lack of cables for the base model, it ever so slightly improves airflow as there are fewer obstacles for cool air to encounter while circulating within the system.

Finally, I see the 1650 as the opposite evolutionary tree to the RTX and Titan series. While the 1650 might not be blowing people out the water now, given another 2-3 generations of cards with such low power draw we'll probably see far more attractive price points as the technology and development of these power efficient models increases. This kind of power efficiency will make its way in to higher end cards so that even the big boys are no longer requiring 1000+W systems to run anymore.

3 minutes ago, TheLostViking said:

Finally, I see the 1650 as the opposite evolutionary tree to the RTX and Titan series. While the 1650 might not be blowing people out the water now, given another 2-3 generations of cards with such low power draw we'll probably see far more attractive price points as the technology and development of these power efficient models increases. This kind of power efficiency will make its way in to higher end cards so that even the big boys are no longer requiring 1000+W systems to run anymore.

The 1650 is the most cut down GPU in the Turing lineup. The statement that its power efficiency is going to somehow stop 1000W systems is complete nonsense. There is always going to be a person that wants the most powerful hardware, and that requires more power. The 1650 is not going to inspire low power draw in future cards, the only reason the 1650 uses so little power is because it is a very efficient architecture and an incredibly cut down chip.

Architecture, Node size, die size are all factors in energy usage.

7 minutes ago, TheLostViking said:

Tl;DR: I am excited for the budget and efficiency builds of the future as well as improvements in power usage for all future GPUs given what I believe will come from this card.

Not to mention Zotac just announced a low profile version for SFF computers. :) 

https://www.zotac.com/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-gtx-1650-low-profile

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Nah. People are okay with around 300w for a high end card. Manufacturers will continue designing for around that because they want to remain competitive with each other. I'm all for efficiency and less power usage. It's just that we're using our efficiency gain to increase performance.

That's an F in the profile pic

in other words, its not about the 1650 at all. because we allready had the 1050ti............

its about GPUs that have yet to come at nodes yet to be developed.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

in other words, its not about the 1650 at all. because we allready had the 1050ti............

Very well said, my friend.

i'll get hyped in the future when igpus/apus play 1080p (as well as next gen consoles), power efficiency is a generational thing, there's nothing special about the 1650 imho, but it's cool that ur hyped about it.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

17 hours ago, ThePD said:

The 1650 is the most cut down GPU in the Turing lineup. The statement that its power efficiency is going to somehow stop 1000W systems is complete nonsense. There is always going to be a person that wants the most powerful hardware, and that requires more power. The 1650 is not going to inspire low power draw in future cards, the only reason the 1650 uses so little power is because it is a very efficient architecture and an incredibly cut down chip.

Architecture, Node size, die size are all factors in energy usage.

There will always be people who want those massive power draw cards. However, bringing increased graphical processing with a lower draw will benefit the high-end market by allowing for more efficient power distribution much in the same way that the development of small, fuel efficient cars has allowed for that technology to creep upwards in to the bigger, faster models to allow them to not measure their fuel consumption in single digits

17 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

I mean, I'm still hyped about the 1650 due to it delivering a notable performance increase over the 1050 ti with the same power draw and I'm dropping one in to a mini ITX build I'm constructing that won't have any wires beyond the mobo connector.

While I liked the 1050ti and the future it promised, it didn't quite have the level of performance the 1650 has and its the power to performance that is finally being achieved that excites me on top of the future cards and nodes not yet built.