DVR question

Hello,

I have a (maybe) dumb question. I work at a local cafe and since workers were stealing money the boss decided to take a cut from everyone's paycheck. The place is completely surrounded by security cameras and there is a DVR which they are all connected to. The DVR is off (none of the LEDs are on), but cameras start flashing red LEDs when it's night time since they have night-vision. So does that mean that the cameras are on and DVR switched off? And does that also mean that the cameras are on and no one can stream them live and they can't record?

The power for the cameras are all seperate. So even if a camera is on, the dvr can still be off. Sounds like thats the case here.

That said, without a dvr your cameras dont do anything, and cant be connected to.

That was my question. I don't understand why are there fancy expensive cameras and a DVR which is off and it all just collects dust. Thank you for your reply

Hi, if they are "fancy, expensive" cameras, they might actually be connected to another recording device (with some wireless technology or the power cord is for example a PoE cord that carries both data and power and is plugged into some other device). Just ask your boss and/or the company that installed that system. It is in both your, your boss' and your colleagues' interest that the security cameras are working in case something gets stolen.

4 hours ago, trtiich said:

I don't understand why are there fancy expensive cameras and a DVR which is off and it all just collects dust

Probably because someone neglegted to turn it on or maintain it. Like greenhorn said, talk to your boss, or even his boss about why it is off. I dont think it would be connected to something else, unless that dvr you found was the old one and the current one hides somewhere else.