Is there any way you can use multiple GPUs with a Corsair CX550M (2015)?

NunoLava1998

Well, Molex to 6 or 6+2 pin adapters. I wouldn't recommend it though if the GPU draws any significant amount of power.

2 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

see the title

If your second GPU is low power draw, you can use dual molex to SATA like I had to for ITNOS. 

20181119_171330.thumb.jpg.3a0748537a221306465961b5ed393b12.jpg

Otherwise I wouldnt risk it

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Well, Molex to 6 or 6+2 pin adapters. I wouldn't recommend it though if the GPU draws any significant amount of power.

I'm trying to get a 570/580 which is about 200W. That leaves an 8 pin that needs to be fed (150W, but 125W should be fine). Molex can do 132W. 

Maybe multiple molex to 8pin?

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

I'm trying to get a 570/580 which is about 200W. That leaves an 8 pin that needs to be fed (150W, but 125W should be fine). Molex can do 132W. 

Although i'm trying to run two 570s (which already are 425W) with a r5 1500x (+75W); that leaves literally no room. I should probably get a better PSU in the first case.

Are you shooting for crossfire? It's never worth it to use molex to PCIe power if you really care about the system

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

Are you shooting for crossfire? It's never worth it to use molex to PCIe power if you really care about the system

No, mining. I don't pay the power.

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

No, mining. I don't pay the power.

The 570 can run with only 6 pins of power, on a lower power ceiling. You already run GPUs underclocked for mining to get max efficiency anyway, so that would be worth the effort.

But buying another GPU and mining to recoup the cost? Your ROI time will be forever, hope you're not mining for profit and only for fun (in which case don't get a second card)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Although i'm trying to run two 570s (which already are 425W) with a r5 1500x (+75W); that leaves literally no room. I should probably get a better PSU in the first case.

I could pull it off if I buy a 470 though. They sell mining editions of those for 100€ only. That leaves only a 6pin 

The 570 can run with only 6 pins of power, on a lower power ceiling. You already run GPUs underclocked for mining to get max efficiency anyway, so that would be worth the effort.

But buying another GPU and mining to recoup the cost? Your ROI time will be forever, hope you're not mining for profit and only for fun (in which case don't get a second card)

Honestly, it's not bad. A ROI time of about 3 months is pretty good. Most ASICs and even cards like the VII are like, 2x.

Honestly, it's not bad. A ROI time of about 3 months is pretty good. Most ASICs and even cards like the VII are like, 2x.

3 months only, you sure? What are you mining?

Primary PC:

3 months only, you sure? What are you mining?

DaggerHashimoto. 70 cents per day a card. With two cards, that's about 1.5$ a day. For the two cards, it's a 3-4 month ROI time.

Of course I'm not counting electricity in because I don't pay it (otherwise the ROI time would be like, a year).

5 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

So you want to push a minimum of 400W for GPUs leaving <150W for the system? That's not even factoring in PSU efficiency and other variables.

It's a really bad idea. Don't do it. Besides you could sell off the hardware for more money than you'll ever earn coin mining.

So you want to push a minimum of 400W for GPUs leaving <150W for the system? That's not even factoring in PSU efficiency and other variables.

It's a really bad idea. Don't do it. Besides you could sell off the hardware for more money than you'll ever earn coin mining.

I just realized you can buy a 470 for cheaper and it draws enough power that about 100W are left counting the 2 GPUs and my OCd CPU. I have a M.2 drive and two SATAs; that's 30W. It should still leave some headroom for the rest of the system, although it's on edge mostly

So, something like this? With both GPUs + CPU, that's 100~120W headroom. That's definitely enough

image.png.e92dadacb63bce7aaa1de5e1c04b4074.png

(i don't pay the power thats why i mine)

3 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I just realized you can buy a 470 for cheaper and it draws enough power that about 100W are left counting the 2 GPUs and my OCd CPU. I have a M.2 drive and two SATAs; that's 30W. It should still leave some headroom for the rest of the system, although it's on edge mostly

Running a PSU at near max output 100% of the time when it's not designed for continuous load (like server PSUs) will dramatically decrease the lifespan of the unit and could cause it to fail spectacularly. There's a reason miners go strait for >=1000W units. The headroom is necessary to ensure the longevity of the PSU and subsequently the hardware it's powering.

Running a PSU at near max output 100% of the time when it's not designed for continuous load (like server PSUs) will dramatically decrease the lifespan of the unit and could cause it to fail spectacularly. There's a reason miners go strait for >=1000W units. The headroom is necessary to ensure the longevity of the PSU and subsequently the hardware it's powering.

It's probably going to be drawing 400-500W max on a 550W PSU. 

I do think I should be getting a new PSU anyway. What's the best 600W+ unit that's atleast in the same bracket as the corsair cx?

15 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I do think I should be getting a new PSU anyway. What's the best 600W+ unit that's atleast in the same bracket as the corsair cx?

Actually it's a Corsair CX550M, a good unit, and my system _WILL_ take breaks sometimes (for troubleshooting, gaming where it draws less power, etc).

22 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

If you plan to run it around the clock I wouldn't stay in the CX bracket. Look into something like RMi/RMx, or AXi.

44 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If you plan to run it around the clock I wouldn't stay in the CX bracket. Look into something like RMi/RMx, or AXi.

I'm not planning to mine for more than one year. If I did want to mine for more than one year, I'd likely already bought a new PSU.

The only concern is that the GPUs are going to be right next to each other (2-3mm distance), but again I'm planning on buying a new, 75CFM 120mm case fan for that

54 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I'm not planning to mine for more than one year. If I did want to mine for more than one year, I'd likely already bought a new PSU.

The only concern is that the GPUs are going to be right next to each other (2-3mm distance), but again I'm planning on buying a new, 75CFM 120mm case fan for that

I don't think your CXM unit would run 24/7 for 365 days at near full load without prematurely dying or having a cable catch fire because it got too hot.

22 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I don't think your CXM unit would run 24/7 for 365 days at near full load without prematurely dying or having a cable catch fire because it got too hot.

It'll run 24/7, no problem.  But the cable catching fire is a legit concern with those Molex to PCIe adapters.  Don't get a cheap one.

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

But the cable catching fire is a legit concern with those Molex to PCIe adapters.  Don't get a cheap one.

how good are the ones included with GPUs? just asking since i have a few lying around.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 hour ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

how good are the ones included with GPUs? just asking since i have a few lying around.

Those should be fine.

20 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Those should be fine.

The ones that came with my Sapphire R9 280 were single Molex to PCIe 6 pin (and it came with 2!)

Let's run a Tahiti Flagship off a firehazard 6000w, and use both of those adaptors. I wanna see the world burn