Huawei chooses a new Russian/ Finnish OS? - Aurora OS

pptx

According to reports, during troubling times for Huawei's mobile divisions, (throughout the allegations of hacking and Trump's presidential order to block US companies doing business with them) the company has successfully tested multiple new operating systems for a while now (as a kind of plan B) as an alternate to Android. Particularly it seems that they have carried out completed trials for Russian Telecom company 'Open Mobile Platform' 's new OS, as seen from source: ( https://www.rt.com/business/461583-huawei-russia-android-replace/ )

The Chinese corporation is negotiating a replacement for Android with the Aurora operating system, currently being developed by Moscow-based firm Russian Mobile Platform, Russian news outlet the Bell reports, citing an official familiar with the issue.

Huawei Chairman Guo Ping reportedly discussed the possible deal with the Russian minister of digital development and communications, Konstantin Noskov, ahead of the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum..

This OS is based on the relatively well known Android alternative from Finish company Jolla which was purchased by the 'OMP' who then sold a share to state telecom giant 'Rostelecom'.  Source: (https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2019/06/13/huawei-testing-russias-aurora-os-as-complete-android-replacement-report-claims/#81214336875d

Aurora is based on the Sailfish OS developed by Finland's Jolla and has been developed by the Russian Open Mobile Platform with the backing of Russian oligarch Grigory Berezkin. In 2018, the state-owned Russian carrier Rostelecom acquired a 75% share in the Open Mobile Platform. 

This however may bring up issues going international, as some (particularly in the West) may find it dubious joining a mobile platform, with some influence from a country, with lets just say 'troubled' politics, and questionable Internet freedom politics (Russian parliament voted to block multiple VPN's including Nord VPN, for more context, source: (https://www.pcmag.com/news/367489/russia-demands-10-major-vpns-censor-content-or-face-ban

This news highlights Huawei's need for another choice for their smart phone platform, as the United states becomes much more aggressive against the company (even though there is no tangible evidence against Huawei's 'spying'), as their mobile division sales plummet by 40% ,  (source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/huawei-phone-sales-fall-us-china-trade-war-trump-tariffs-smartphones-a8961631.html)  in uncertain times for CE0 Ren Zhengfei. Many have noted many Chinese manufacture's choice for Hong Meng OS/ Ark OS, but this seems to be an alternate choice for a more 'private', with apparently 'many more features' than Android Q would have in a handy-dandy, completely open source package:

For the uninitiated, Sailfish OS is an open source mobile operating system based on Linux.  It was created by the developers who worked on Nokia’s, currently defunct, MeeGo OS. The most highlighted features of Sailfish OS include privacy and a different gesture-based UI that makes it slightly easier to navigate. 

Source: (https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-analysis/huawei-could-consider-russain-fork-of-sailfish-os-as-its-android-alternative-6819261.html)

Whatever it turns out to be this new OS is gaining attention, and Huawei does seem pretty sure to consider (especially after Xi's business talks with Putin and the major St Petersburg Intentional Economic Forum), a new Russian OS could be seriously on the horizon, which would sure to help significantly develop their Software Engineering sectors for 'developing/industrializing/2nd World Country'.

It is wise to just make an android fork and keep the app support as similar as android.

This ban will probably just momentarily.

2020 is approaching, no trump, no ban.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

It is wise to just make an android fork and keep the app support as similar as android.

Presedent Schwarznegger next?

7 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Definitely agree. Suddenly  after news of alternate OS they want Huawei back because of 'security risks'. They expected Huawei to do nothing and they came back fighting. I bet you they'll (Google) lobby the US gov to remove or loosen up on the ban. 

10 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

You know... if I was a company trying to convince people of my trustworthiness and authenticity, I think the last place I would go would be a Russian software firm.

Cough cough Edward Snowden cough 

Everyone is capable of spying, for some it's just not as highlighted (US gov) 

Loosing Huawei would be catastrophic to google.

If huawei can make a better or as good alternative to android, with the whole chinese maker follow suit, that means it's loosing a lolt of asia's market, which is dominated by budget chinese brand : Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo etc.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

One day it's their one, the next day it's Russian, by the end of month it's gonna be North Korean. The news nowadays I swear.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

It seems to be well fleshed out enough as an OS, but I would highly recommend people read up on their website https://sailfishos.org/

They seem to market it for government officials with confidential secrets, while also saying it is fully compatible with android apps. Seems interesting for Huawei, who want a good OS without having to restart their own app ecosystem (and thus still being competitive with Western handsets) 

55 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Presedent Schwarznegger next?

PLEEEEASE be him! just imagine the terminator from the future came back to be the president of US.

8 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

PLEEEEASE be him! just imagine the terminator from the future came back to be the president of US.

The Schwarznegger presidential library!

Ah, finally some good news. You may laugh and call russian soft "untrustworthy", but then i wonder, who is trustworthy? And Russia has some of best software engeneers, and if Kruchev wasnt a fucken idiot, would have some of the best hardware engeneers

I don't differenchiate by race

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

I think Huawei still just go back to their HongMeng Fork.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

20 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

You know... if I was a company trying to convince people of my trustworthiness and authenticity, I think the last place I would go would be a Russian software firm.

On the other hand it's perfect if you want Trump to like you.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

On 6/17/2019 at 3:53 PM, SupaKomputa said:

no trump, no ban.

We hope. But there are no guarantees this will happen. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Why don't they just use Oxygen OS with all google services stripped away.

One Plus is Oppo anyway.

If this Hongmeng / Oak OS is that good, all XDA members will be an instant follower.

I just want the US of A to lose their dominance in the world of software and tech. Step away Apple, Google, Amazon and Facebook! We need competition. 

On 6/17/2019 at 9:01 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

I'm surprised Huawei doesn't roll out their own. If North Korea can do their own distro of Linux, surely China's biggest telecom company can.

Here's a question though. If Huawei was to make their own OS instead of using one made by a different firm, would major US companies (YouTube, Google, Spotify, etc) be allowed to develop for their platform through trumps ban?Chinese people are a major market, and thus i think it would only make sense to have a platform that can handle android apps/development (aurora, and maybe hongmeng/oak OS). I think it's inevitable. 

On 6/20/2019 at 5:19 AM, pptx said:

Here's a question though. If Huawei was to make their own OS instead of using one made by a different firm, would major US companies (YouTube, Google, Spotify, etc) be allowed to develop for their platform through trumps ban?Chinese people are a major market, and thus i think it would only make sense to have a platform that can handle android apps/development (aurora, and maybe hongmeng/oak OS). I think it's inevitable. 

Its not 100% up to Trump. The Chinese government is very controlling over their people. They have rules. So it would be up to China if they will allow these services as well. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.