Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Byronyk

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Max GPU Width?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm planning a new build with the Lian-Li 011 Dynamic case and would like to horizontally mount the GPU. According to Lian-Li's page, a max width of 159mm will do (See furthest right image).

 

What I can't factor in very well is how much room the GPU power connectors will effect these dimensions. I am tentatively going with a 2080 RTX Asus Strix and the EKWB water block which is 148.45mm. That leaves me with 10.55mm of space between the water block and the side panel; do you think this is wide enough for the required 8-pin connectors?

 

image.png.793a5700989120396e63794d70a1a13a.png

 

 

I made a thread here for a similar topic but figured this was a better place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Byronyk said:

I'm planning a new build with the Lian-Li 011 Dynamic case and would like to horizontally mount the GPU. According to Lian-Li's page, a max width of 159mm will do (See furthest right image).

 

What I can't factor in very well is how much room the GPU power connectors will effect these dimensions. I am tentatively going with a 2080 RTX Asus Strix and the EKWB water block which is 148.45mm. That leaves me with 10.55mm of space between the water block and the side panel; do you think this is wide enough for the required 8-pin connectors?

I do believe so. I have a 1080ti FTW3 fitting in my Corsair 380T and the connectors are pushing right up against the plexi. I was aware this might not fit so I did some research just in case and they make low profile PCI-E connectors Like these: https://www.moddiy.com/products/PCIE-90-Degree-Angle-L-Shape-Low-Profile-Connector-Extension-Cable.html

 

20181009_212105.jpg


"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- RGB Build Post 2019 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Byronyk said:

 

I believe you may be okay since the Strix cards have a recessed power plug. With my standard sized pcie power connectors, the plastic part is entirely within the footprint of the PCB. Here are some pics of typical pcie power cables "bent back". I think only if you have very thick and stiff custom cables will you run into serious issues.

 

From Left to right: Standard Corsair PSU Cable, Unsleeved 15 AWG cable, Custom sleeved 15 AWG cable.

 

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FnUiaB3f.jpg&hash=b98a6c2b8c60cabaf56a08ae6f688477proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FtJVuC17.jpg&hash=c7f9f5330c8657c925266ff268e46207proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F1NIrYZs.jpg&hash=2d03f49045f97817b379ddb69e61513e
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Byronyk said:

Thanks! Did you end up needing them, or did you add them regardless?

I ended up not needing them :) 


"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- RGB Build Post 2019 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, For Science! said:

I believe you may be okay since the Strix cards have a recessed power plug. With my standard sized pcie power connectors, the plastic part is entirely within the footprint of the PCB. Here are some pics of typical pcie power cables "bent back". I think only if you have very thick and stiff custom cables will you run into serious issues.

 

From Left to right: Standard Corsair PSU Cable, Unsleeved 18 AWG cable, Custom sleeved 18 AWG cable.

 

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FnUiaB3f.jpg&hash=b98a6c2b8c60cabaf56a08ae6f688477proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FtJVuC17.jpg&hash=c7f9f5330c8657c925266ff268e46207proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F1NIrYZs.jpg&hash=2d03f49045f97817b379ddb69e61513e
 

 
 
Thanks for the detailed pictures! I'll be ordering custom cables from https://www.ensourced.net/. I have no experience with them -- do you know if their cables are particularly stiff? 
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Byronyk said:
 
Thanks for the detailed pictures! I'll be ordering custom cables from https://www.ensourced.net/. I have no experience with them -- do you know if their cables are particularly stiff? 

I believe they are quite high quality, and therefore likely to be quite stiff (cheap custom cables are very flimsy, flexible, and don't hold shape). I sleeve my own cables so have not dealt with them personally. The photos I have bellow are 1080Ti Strixes, but I believe the layout around the power is similar. Peeled back to the max, the normal PSU cables only protrude out a little bit (left in first photo, right in second). I also tried to make some connectors with very low profile connectors (right, barely visible in first photo, silver cabled on second), but I can't recommend pushing these to the limit since the actual internal connector can snap.

 

So I guess my personal take home for you would be: get the custom cables and try your best to bend them back, but otherwise sleep easy knowing the standard PSU cables (basically any unsleeved cable) will probably to fine as a worst case scenario.

 

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FfQ4ZpaA.jpg&hash=f049b965d231500469a1fbe8544d1959proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FBM5gjFW.jpg&hash=d1f7823264c56d5f0cd06ae5bc6903dcproxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FSL91z0w.jpg&hash=fdb610d4e57382833c42fe3a0dbcd2d3

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, For Science! said:

So I guess my personal take home for you would be: get the custom cables and try your best to bend them back, but otherwise sleep easy knowing the standard PSU cables (basically any unsleeved cable) will probably to fine as a worst case scenario.

 

 

 

Fair enough, I appreciate the info. Are there any good methods to bend cables outside physically bending? (e.g. taking a heat gun to it, etc)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Byronyk said:

 

Fair enough, I appreciate the info. Are there any good methods to bend cables outside physically bending? (e.g. taking a heat gun to it, etc)

Heat gun would definitely be a bad idea since the sleeving is melted onto the cable and will unravel. I don't think there are any mods that can be done beyond requesting ensourced to have different lengths for the inside and outside cables on the PCIe connector, this will apply some natural tension for the cable to curve and will probably aid in achieving tighter turns. I don't know whether they do this, and you will have to know for your GPU whether the clip-side or non-clip side of the PCIe connector the longer cables need to be on. Since they are a boutique sleeving service, I would imagine if you message them and explain your situation, they will try to accommodate your request.

 

Not using 15/16 AWG is another option, but the cables would look pretty thin and flimsy which defeats the point of custom cables, I guess

Link to post
Share on other sites

If You you have a look at the drawing provided by EKWB the terminal width is 28.5 mmimageproxy.jpg.137081192ee910e55613c339c185693f.jpgThe red sqare is going into the mobo that lives with exactly 28mm 

You'll be fine with the power plugs


CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: gtx660 (will be upgraded soon) Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) WD green 120gb MacOS, PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Scythe Big Shuriken 3

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×