Does freeNAS have a web gui similar to synology?

Go to solution Solved by Theguywhobea,
4 minutes ago, Pocketmouse said:

Alright, ya caught me, that's actually what I'm using now. XD Using DSM 6.0.2-8451

I just remember that being a huge pain to get working properly since support for it has faded quite a bit. Also, maybe I am wrong, but don't you need to match the specifications of the hardware on specific disk stations for it to work properly? I am upgrading my gaming rig and will have 16 GB of RAM and an i7 4770K that will be sitting around the house taking up space, I thought it might work out well to have my . My current Xpenology only has 4 GB of RAM and an i3 4130. I'm just trying to give my server some much needed "Oomf" so more people can stream media at a time without stalling up the system.

I don't think so, I'm running the latest version of Xpenology as of about a month or two ago and it was pretty plug and play after following the guide. And no you don't have to match hardware, my Zbox is running 16GB's of RAM and an i5-4200U, works just fine and all the RAM is recognized.

I am considering replacing my Synology NAS with a custom built PC using Ubuntu (or another flavor of Linux- haven't decided for certain) and FreeNAS, the only thing that's really holding me back from completely swapping over to FreeNAS is that my wife will help me out with a project from time to time or put pictures and documents up on the Synology and all she has to do is log in from whatever device and drag and drop and that's that. Will a web GUI still be available if I use FreeNAS? If not is there another option that has similar features to a Synology Disk Station?

======================================================

System Specs:

CPU: i7 4770K Clocked at 4.3 GHz

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z87

Memory: 2x Corsair Vengeance Pro 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz Modules clocked at 1866 MHz

GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1080 TI SC2

Case: NZXT H500i

17 minutes ago, Pocketmouse said:

I am considering replacing my Synology NAS with a custom built PC using Ubuntu (or another flavor of Linux- haven't decided for certain) and FreeNAS, the only thing that's really holding me back from completely swapping over to FreeNAS is that my wife will help me out with a project from time to time or put pictures and documents up on the Synology and all she has to do is log in from whatever device and drag and drop and that's that. Will a web GUI still be available if I use FreeNAS? If not is there another option that has similar features to a Synology Disk Station?

You could setup Freenas with the lovely NextCloud plugin and essentially create your own Google Drive. If that's what you are looking for. 

I have NextCloud installed on a Ubuntu VM on my proxmox server, but I would not be surprised of the FreeNAS setup is even easier then my install on Ubuntu. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

You can build a custom PC and then use Xpenology to boot into Synologies OS, I have it running right now on a Zotac Zbox

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

FreeNAS has a very functional WebUI but last I checked it does not support a drag'n'drop function. The WebUI is more of an enterprise level tool than one meant to appeal to home consumers if you wanted to move files to a pool without accessing a SMB/NFS/etc share you'd need to SSH/SFTP into the server and drop the file in the desired folder.

Yes freenas have a web gui.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

53 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

You can build a custom PC and then use Xpenology to boot into Synologies OS, I have it running right now on a Zotac Zbox

Alright, ya caught me, that's actually what I'm using now. XD Using DSM 6.0.2-8451

I just remember that being a huge pain to get working properly since support for it has faded quite a bit. Also, maybe I am wrong, but don't you need to match the specifications of the hardware on specific disk stations for it to work properly? I am upgrading my gaming rig and will have 16 GB of RAM and an i7 4770K that will be sitting around the house taking up space, I thought it might work out well to have my . My current Xpenology only has 4 GB of RAM and an i3 4130. I'm just trying to give my server some much needed "Oomf" so more people can stream media at a time without stalling up the system.

System Specs:

4 minutes ago, Pocketmouse said:

I don't think so, I'm running the latest version of Xpenology as of about a month or two ago and it was pretty plug and play after following the guide. And no you don't have to match hardware, my Zbox is running 16GB's of RAM and an i5-4200U, works just fine and all the RAM is recognized.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

Maybe that's the better route for me then, thanks!

System Specs: