AMD Is Crushing Intel in Laptops Too

19 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

[...] I do plan on making a video in the future where the Dell G3, GA502 and Helios 300 go head to head to find out the true king of slightly above $1000.

+ ASUS G531GU ? If you can get one oc

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan

4 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

The exhaust on the right has some little guides so the air goes away from the laptop (towards the back) instead of to the right and I didn't have any troubles with my hand getting hot, might just be different hand positioning.

There isn't actually any fins on the exhaust port. The small fins that protect the grill from getting damaged are just really thing piece of plastic with little depth. I sometimes will have my hand sitting further back, but not all the time so yeah it isn't a big deal, it should just exhaust out the left instead. If you look at it closely you can see that there isn't fins, but it definitely looks like it at first glance. Also I've taken the entire thing apart and have see the inside of the chassis so I can confirm that way too.

5 hours ago, caspar! said:

I think the title is misrepresenting the video content.

There is a Laptop which is slower than intels offerings and also cheaper and has ok battery life because the chip doesn't need much power.

How is AMD crushing Intel in Laptops then?

This laptop doesn't have "ok" battery life, it has amazing battery life. It easily matches the batter life of the Lenovo x270 I use for work which has equal the battery capacity but has an i5-7300U in it which is a 15W 2c/4t CPU and has a much smaller display.

The only reason it is seen as "slower than intels offerings" is just like Linus explained. Intel gives kickbacks to OEMs for putting their more expensive CPUs in cheaper devices. So a $1000 AMD laptop will have a "weaker" CPU to a $1000 Intel laptop only because Intel uses shady business practices and has been for the last decade or so just to undercut AMD.

I had been considering buying a gaming laptop many times and was always put off by the crazy prices while the system has a GTX 1050 or a 1050 Ti. I was even considering building an ITX computer so it will be easy to bring around, but with decent reasonable builds like this it's something I'd be likely to consider. My current laptop has a 4700MQ but only has a GT840m, a perfect example of the CPU being much better than the GPU.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

17 minutes ago, steocullen91 said:

I had been considering buying a gaming laptop many times and was always put off by the crazy prices while the system has a GTX 1050 or a 1050 Ti. I was even considering building an ITX computer so it will be easy to bring around, but with decent reasonable builds like this it's something I'd be likely to consider. My current laptop has a 4700MQ but only has a GT840m, a perfect example of the CPU being much better than the GPU.

My previous laptop had a i7- 4720HQ and a 960M, kind of the same scenario.

15 minutes ago, KurioHonoo said:

My previous laptop had a i7- 4720HQ and a 960M, kind of the same scenario.

Bit of a shame really as the CPU's are still up to the task, just the GPU being the let down. The 960M is a fair bit more powerful than the 840M at least.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

Question: How would this laptop for a beginner graphic designer. Basic illustration, Photoshop and InDesign?

3 hours ago, steocullen91 said:

Bit of a shame really as the CPU's are still up to the task, just the GPU being the let down. The 960M is a fair bit more powerful than the 840M at least.

Not a ton, it's about 10% faster and only because they just clocked it higher. a 960M is still just an 860M just faster.

Linus: "Let's see if team Red is able to regain it's place on the top of the Cinebench leaderboard!"

Me: Only if the 8300H is faster than the 9750h at Cinebench!

(as if posting I still have't seen the results)

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

3 hours ago, VC_belize said:

Question: How would this laptop for a beginner graphic designer. Basic illustration, Photoshop and InDesign?

Anything with a 4 cores would be great.

Those are not cpu intensive, for effects i think the 1060 would handle it ok.

You just need a bigger ram depending on the project size.

Also faster ssd would help for the scratch disk.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

On 6/17/2019 at 1:59 PM, crosstiger said:

But compared to the ASUS ROG Strix G G531GU with an i7-9750H for only ~50€ more? Wouldn't it fall really flat due to that cpu performance different? The Strix also has a bigger battery (same usage time?) and a 2x2 wifi.

I also recommend taking a look at the ASUS TUF FX505DU, it has multiple military ruggedness ratings, the same display, 1660 Max-P rather than a Max-Q, and etc.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

On 6/17/2019 at 3:06 PM, Stryke said:

Initially I was pleased as punch that you guys reviewed a laptop with this CPU. Finding good real-world benchmarks of mobile Ryzen CPUs isn't the easiest task - especially since thermal design is so important which makes comparing laptops with the same specs a bit more challenging.

I'm disappointed that in your first review covering a mobile Ryzen chip you guys didn't take a deeper dive.

This is a budget-friendly gaming laptop. I don't care if i7's and i9's beat it on Cinebench. I care about real-world benchmarks against Intel CPUs this thing is actually competing against. You folks mentioned similar performance to the 8300H but that's it. No hard numbers and no conversation about what a similarly priced Intel laptop would be equipped with. Is the 3750H competing against the 8300H? Is the tradeoff of a weaker CPU (if that's the case) made up for with the GPU? How about productivity?

As always, I'm impressed with your coverage of the I/O, build quality, and other things that affect day to day use. However, I really think you missed the mark in covering what is most important to someone who would buy this laptop - value. After finishing your review I still have no idea how this laptop stacks up against team blue's offerings.

Edit: Not to rag on your title too much cause they've definitely improved but the content of video doesn't really back up the title. They found a good price point that works for them but you didn't provide any evidence that AMD is crushing Intel at that price point. No value per dollar, no comparisons against competing CPUs, and more importantly... against competing laptops. You say Intel isn't matching their CPU's with the proper GPU but it's not as convincing without examples. Also, I'm surprised it was never mentioned this isn't Zen 2 which is how AMD is crushing (probably, I'll wait till you benchmark it) Intel on desktop.

I hope I don't off too strong, it's perfectly possible that my expectations for this video aren't shared by others. Regardless, I hope you guys do a proper comparison so we know what value mobile Ryzen has to offer. I wanted to recommend a Ryzen-equipped ASUS TUF to a friend but it's hard to do when real-world performance isn't compared to the competitors.

Here are some videos that may answer some questions:

3 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I also recommend taking a look at the ASUS TUF FX505DU, it has multiple military ruggedness ratings, the same display, 1660 Max-P rather than a Max-Q, and etc.

There's no such thing as a 1660 Max-P, unfortunately. I think what you meant is that is has a full class 1660 in it and not a Max-Q. It can be built with a 1050, a 1650, or a 1660 Ti and none of them are Max-Q design.

6 minutes ago, KurioHonoo said:

There's no such thing as a 1660 Max-P, unfortunately. I think what you meant is that is has a full class 1660 in it and not a Max-Q. It can be built with a 1050, a 1650, or a 1660 Ti and none of them are Max-Q design.

Sorry I forgot the ti, the 1660 ti has three variants: Desktop 120 watts, Max-P* (laptop) 80 watts, and Max-Q 60 watts.

* the Max-P or Max Power GPU is referred to as such due to the fact that Nvidia has released 2 laptop GPUs, so to reduce confusion, throughout the internet the 80 watt laptop version is referred to as Max-P, at time even Nvidia itself will refer to these GPUs as Max-P.

20 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

I think we said the colours were okay, but for gaming at this price point it's pretty good with the 120Hz refresh rate.

Awesome, thank you!

10 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Can only find the FX705DU over here (same, different, still same?). The G531GU has Max-Q? Doesn't get mentioned anywhere.

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

16 hours ago, VC_belize said:

I personally wouldn't recommend it.  It's more than powerful enough, but it only has a 6-bit panel with okayish colours. With something like the Dell XPS 15 you wouldn't have anywhere near the gaming performance but having a screen you can trust is way more valuable.

So the video does recommend the laptop but the laptop but it uses 8GB of soldered ram (at least the BestBuy version does), is this still a recommended buy?

52 minutes ago, drakefs said:

So the video does recommend the laptop but the laptop but it uses 8GB of soldered ram (at least the BestBuy version does), is this still a recommended buy?

Yeah it is, one is still able to be upgraded to 24GB and IMO it isn't a huge deal. 

10 hours ago, crosstiger said:

Can only find the FX705DU over here (same, different, still same?). The G531GU has Max-Q? Doesn't get mentioned anywhere.

The FX705DU is the 17" model the FX505DU is the 15" model, in the end, mostly the same, but a little different. Where are you looking? Also the G531GU uses the Max-P 1660 ti (or 80 watt).

On 6/17/2019 at 7:51 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

Ideally we would have done a lot of testing against an i5-8300H or the i5-9300H, but we simply don't have any laptops in the office with that spec and it was going to take too long to get them in.  I do plan on making a video in the future where the Dell G3, GA502 and Helios 300 go head to head to find out the true king of slightly above $1000.

Fair enough and I appreciate the response. I think most of my issue was that I've been wanting some decent coverage of mobile Ryzen and the title implied (in my mind anyway) that AMD had carved out its own price-point. Chalk it up to impatience and my frustrations with crappy "benchmarking" channels. However, someone linked a good comparison of the 8300H and 3750H sans dGPU gaming.

It's just that when you can pick up an MSI GL73 8SD-297 for the same price but get an i7-8750H while sacrificing RAM (8GB vs 16GB) it looks less like AMD crushing them and it looking more like a tossup, especially with how easily upgradable RAM usually is.

However, it looks like most 9300H laptops get equipped with a 1650 rather than a 1660 Ti so I definitely see the mismatch argument. After a cursory glance it looks like the 3750H gets paired with the 1650 as well and it appears you can pick up laptops with the 9300H for less than their Ryzen counterpart. This is probably down to there being so few laptops with the 3750H.

I really look forward to the head-to-head comparisons and will definitely stick around. Completely off topic but I would love to see some content about performance advantages of undervolting mobile Intel CPU's as well as re-pasting them (GPU re-paste anyone?). Perhaps one thin and light, a "normal" 1660 Ti-ish gaming laptop , and something beefier known for not turboing. Just my 2 cents, you guys probably have your own set of things in mind.

13 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Where are you looking?

General shop browsing. Might not be released yet here in the eu...

Greetings from germany

11 hours ago, crosstiger said:

General shop browsing. Might not be released yet here in the eu...

Here is an American Ebay seller that will ship to Germany, it is being sold by what I hear to be one of the larger companies that configures laptops in the North America.

12 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Here is an American Ebay seller that will ship to Germany, it is being sold by what I hear to be one of the larger companies that configures laptops in the North America.

~190$ for shipping within 30 days. I'll wait...

Greetings from germany

2 hours ago, crosstiger said:

~190$ for shipping within 30 days. I'll wait...

Yeah, probably for the best.