Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iconic

Powerline adaptors 'killing' internet regularly?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi all

I've been having regular disconnects to the internet so I spoke to my ISP. They did a line test and said there were no issues and that the router was fine.

In my house, I run most things of a Velop mesh wifi network and powerline adapters for my main PC room (office use and gaming). Anyway...

The ISP said that the disconnects were probably caused by my powerline adapters (TP-LINK TL-PA4030KIT 500Mbps) making the router reset itself. So my question is?...

Is that a thing or is it the ISP passing the blame? Is there anything I can do to stop it happening?

Many thanks.

1 minute ago, iconic said:

Hi all

I've been having regular disconnects to the internet so I spoke to my ISP. They did a line test and said there were no issues and that the router was fine.

In my house, I run most things of a Velop mesh wifi network and powerline adapters for my main PC room (office use and gaming). Anyway...

The ISP said that the disconnects were probably caused by my powerline adapters (TP-LINK TL-PA4030KIT 500Mbps) making the router reset itself. So my question is?...

Is that a thing or is it the ISP passing the blame? Is there anything I can do to stop it happening?

Many thanks.

isp bollocks, they'll do anything to avoid having to give some actual, useful, customer service.

Personal Machines:
Spoiler

i7-8700k 5GHz, 32GB 3200MHz HyperX Predator, Gigabyte Z390 GamingX, MSI 2080Ti Lightning Z, Fractal Kelvin S36, RM850x, Define R6 TG, 4K

i7-4790k 4.8GHz, 32GB 2133MHz Dominator Platinum OC, Asus Z97 PRO GAMER, MSI 1080Ti Gaming X Trio, CM Nepton 240M, RM650, Define R5 TG, 1440p

i3-8350k 5GHz, 16GB 3200MHz Vengeance LPX OC, Asus Prime Z370M-Plus II, MSI 1070Ti Titanium Edition, Antec Kuhler 240, RM550x, Define Mini C, 4K(1440p)

Phenom x4 9950BE 3.4GHz, 8GB 800MHz XMS2, Asus M3A79-T Deluxe, eVGA 750Ti FTW w/Backplate, Corsair H45, Integra 450, Kolink Stronghold TG, 1080p

***NEW***

c2Q6600 2.6GHz, 8GB 800MHz, Dell OEM BTX, Gainward GTX 580, Dell XPS720. ATX CONVERSION COMING SOON!

Personal Laptops:

Spoiler

i7-8750H, 32GB 2666MHz Samsung, Asus FX705GM-EV101T, HM370, GTX 1060 6GB, 1080p

i7-6700HQ, 16GB 2400MHz HyperX, MSI GE62-6QD, HM170, GTX960M 2GB, 1080p

Other Builds:

Spoiler

i5-4460 3.2GHz, 16GB HyperX Fury 1600, Gigabyte H97n-WiFi, eVGA 970 SC, Antec Kuhler 120, RM550x, Define Nano S, 1080p

A8-6600k 4.2GHz, 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333, AsRock FM2A68M-DG3+, eVGA 960 SSC, Noctua NH-L12, TX550m, Define Mini C, 1080p

i3-4170 3.7GHz, 8GB HyperX Fury 1600, MSI H81i, eVGA 950 SSC, Noctua NH-L9i, Silverstone SFX450, Silverstone SG-13B, 1366*768
Ryzen 3 2200G 3.7GHz - 8GB Patriot Viper 2400, Gigabyte B450M-DS3H, Wraith Stealth, TX550m, Corsair Air240, 1080p

i5-6400 3.3GHz, 16GB HyperX Savage 2666, Asrock H170M-ITXa/c, XFX R9 380 DD, Antec Kuhler 120, Silverstone SFX650, Silverston SG-13B, 1080p

Pending Builds:

Spoiler

i5 4690k 4.8GHz, 32GB HyperX Fury 2133 OC, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H, eVGA 1070Ti FTW2, Corsair H100x, RM650x, Define R6 TG, 1080p

i5-4460 3.2GHz, 16GB 1600MHz XMS3, Asrock H97M-Pro4, eVGA 980Ti SC, Noctua NH-U9S, Seasonic 550W, CM MasterBox Q300L, 1600*900

Have you tried a power line adapter plugged right into the modem? Does that yield the same result?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

This is a new one for me...

I've been using some Powerline adapters for a few months to extend the WiFi by using another WiFi router and having that plugged in via Powerline. I haven't had a single issue (Just wish it was a mesh network)

Might be worth trying to dig a little deeper... Is the Powerline adapters also passthrough? If they are, is the router plugged into the powerline adapter?

Is the router plugged into a extension lead?

Could the router or power cable be faulty?

How is the connection between the Powerline adapters? Could that be an issue?

If you try going through simple things like that, just to try and ensure it is nothing outside the router which could be causing the issue. Once you have done a fair few troubleshooting steps and nothing seams to fix it, ring your ISP back and get them to send an engineer because the ISP router may be at fault.

My current Set-Up: (Now in RGB)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 | CPU cooler: EVGA CLC 280 | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Classified @ 2050MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 | RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2 | Boot SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB on a SilverStone SST-ECM20 | Game Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB | Main Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM | Back-up Storage: 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 5900RPM in software RAID-1 | Recording Drive: Samsung SpinPoint 160GB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT S340 Elite Black/Red | OS: Windows 10 Professional | Keyboard: Cyborg V.7 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + HP Compaq LA1951g | Speakers: Sony PCVA-SP2 (Which sound FANTASTIC) | Headset: HyperX Cloud II

3 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Have you tried a power line adapter plugged right into the modem? Does that yield the same result?

Unfortunately yes, it still happens.

1 hour ago, PlymouthJoseph said:

I've been using some Powerline adapters for a few months to extend the WiFi by using another WiFi router and having that plugged in via Powerline. I haven't had a single issue (Just wish it was a mesh network)

Might be worth trying to dig a little deeper... Is the Powerline adapters also passthrough? If they are, is the router plugged into the powerline adapter?

If you try going through simple things like that, just to try and ensure it is nothing outside the router which could be causing the issue. Once you have done a fair few troubleshooting steps and nothing seams to fix it, ring your ISP back and get them to send an engineer because the ISP router may be at fault.

Thanks.

The router is not on an extension and the ISP claims it is not faulty (hard for me to disprove!?)

Powerline adapters have generally been reliable bar a blip now and then (once or twice a year).

They played the whole 'there will be a call out charge if we find our line and router are OK" card and definitely made it sound like it was something at my end.

I just wish I knew one way or the other as it's getting to be a frustratingly regular occurrence.

3 hours ago, starcoaster said:

isp bollocks, they'll do anything to avoid having to give some actual, useful, customer service.

Ha, I suspect so. They said I had a several devices online but who doesn't nowadays with smart home devices, mobiles, tablets etc!

1 hour ago, PlymouthJoseph said:

Oh, and they are not passthrough ones. Thanks.