Xiaomi note 7 VS pocophone f1

The321

Soo I'm struggling to decide what phone is best for me. I use my phone mainly for watching YouTube send messages and to browse the Internet. And sometimes a little game. Soo I can get the xiaomi note 7 for 170 or the poco for 265.

Won't the poco be overkill for me ? Will the note 7 be good for 3 years ?

Help me decide please

There is no overkill. "too much Performance" today will turn into "enough power in 3 years", when at the same time "enough power today" could turn into "not enough power in 3 years".

The faster the phone today is, the longer you can use it (aside from how late the security patches are etc).

Note 7 has a better screen, according to some people. Better colors, etc.

Also, a MUCH better Notch.

Pocophone has a hybrid-stereo speaker mode, and more Power for the future.

Difficult to say what's worth. Ask your bank account :P

You could also think that way:

If you spend 95 bucks more, the higher performance (and more Ram, and faster storage (UFS 2.1 on Pocophone vs. old/slow emmc on Note 7)) could last you longer, untill you get the need to upgrade again. Pay 55% more = use it maybe twice as long? or 55% longer.

Or the other way: The 95 bucks you would save today could already start saving up for the next upgrade.

In the end.. there is no best choice. if you can spend 265, do it. If not, the Note 7 is also a great phone for the price.

Both phones are very good for the price.

However: Which storage / Ram configuration are we talking about? I do NOT recommend the 32gb/3gb model of the Note 7, and would suggest to take 64/4gb.

22 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

There is no overkill. "too much Performance" today will turn into "enough power in 3 years", when at the same time "enough power today" could turn into "not enough power in 3 years".

The faster the phone today is, the longer you can use it (aside from how late the security patches are etc).

Note 7 has a better screen, according to some people. Better colors, etc.

Also, a MUCH better Notch.

Pocophone has a hybrid-stereo speaker mode, and more Power for the future.

Difficult to say what's worth. Ask your bank account :P

You could also think that way:

If you spend 95 bucks more, the higher performance (and more Ram, and faster storage (UFS 2.1 on Pocophone vs. old/slow emmc on Note 7)) could last you longer, untill you get the need to upgrade again. Pay 55% more = use it maybe twice as long? or 55% longer.

Or the other way: The 95 bucks you would save today could already start saving up for the next upgrade.

In the end.. there is no best choice. if you can spend 265, do it. If not, the Note 7 is also a great phone for the price.

Both phones are very good for the price.

However: Which storage / Ram configuration are we talking about? I do NOT recommend the 32gb/3gb model of the Note 7, and would suggest to take 64/4gb.

Yeah but most phones only last like 3 years. I don't think I will need the power of the poco in that time span.  On the other side I can afford the poco no problem. Just don't know if it's really worth it for me at least doing basic stuff.

No, in fact, most phones last WAY WAY longer than 3 years.

It's only very rare cases, where a phone stops working before that, or has any other defect.

There is no reason for a phone to not last longer than 3 years.

The other issue is.. Security updates. Do you want to live without them? Or use a custom Rom like LineageOS.

Okay, let me ask differently: Do you call yourself an "enthusiast"? Do you mind, if you need half a second longer to open an App? Or transitions / app switching?

If you don't mind these at all, get the Note 7.

If you hate every farmedrop / microstutter, get the Pocophone.

...Not like the Note 7 will lag that much... it's minor differences for when you multitask heavily etc.

If you don't mind these minor things, even the Note 7 should be able to last 3-5 years easily.

30 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

No, in fact, most phones last WAY WAY longer than 3 years.

It's only very rare cases, where a phone stops working before that, or has any other defect.

There is no reason for a phone to not last longer than 3 years.

The other issue is.. Security updates. Do you want to live without them? Or use a custom Rom like LineageOS.

Okay, let me ask differently: Do you call yourself an "enthusiast"? Do you mind, if you need half a second longer to open an App? Or transitions / app switching?

If you don't mind these at all, get the Note 7.

If you hate every farmedrop / microstutter, get the Pocophone.

...Not like the Note 7 will lag that much... it's minor differences for when you multitask heavily etc.

If you don't mind these minor things, even the Note 7 should be able to last 3-5 years easily.

I mean like i said I don't plaay that much etc just do light stuff on it. It's only 100 euros more soo if it will be 2 more years relevant I'm a say it's worth it. But will this be the case ?

As long nothing breaks, yes.

And of course, if you don't mind having a 2-year old Android version in 5 years.

The thing is.. Between a Snapdragon 660 and 845 is still quite a big difference, which gives alot of future proof.

Another example: I had a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. A 2016 Flaggship. Used it untill last november (2 1/2 years), and now my GF uses it.

This now over 3 year old phone has today still more pure CPU/GPU Performance, than any Midrange Phone with a Snapdragon 660. 

A Snapdragon 660 gives around 117k points in Antutu v6.

The Exynos 8890 from my S7 Edge gives 128k points. Not that much more but.. a 3 year old device is still faster than a modern Midrange.

Same with the Snapdragon 845. It will take probably 3, or at least 2 years, untill Midrange SoCs come close to the 845.

But again, it's +55% price then... Even if you use the Note 7 for 2,5 years, and the Pocophone for 4,5 years...

The 90 bucks you save today, you could just buy earlier, and in the long run, you still didn't "waste" any more money.

Like: 2x 150 Dollar is the same as 1x 300 Dollar.

So, none of those 2 can be considered the absolute best decision you could make.

However... Maybe the Hybrid stereo Speakers from the Pocophone f1 will provide you a better video experience, than the mono speaker on the Note 7. Things like this can also be worth something.

The more videos you watch, the more this is worth in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Darkseth said:

As long nothing breaks, yes.

And of course, if you don't mind having a 2-year old Android version in 5 years.

The thing is.. Between a Snapdragon 660 and 845 is still quite a big difference, which gives alot of future proof.

Another example: I had a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. A 2016 Flaggship. Used it untill last november (2 1/2 years), and now my GF uses it.

This now over 3 year old phone has today still more pure CPU/GPU Performance, than any Midrange Phone with a Snapdragon 660. 

A Snapdragon 660 gives around 117k points in Antutu v6.

The Exynos 8890 from my S7 Edge gives 128k points. Not that much more but.. a 3 year old device is still faster than a modern Midrange.

Same with the Snapdragon 845. It will take probably 3, or at least 2 years, untill Midrange SoCs come close to the 845.

But again, it's +55% price then... Even if you use the Note 7 for 2,5 years, and the Pocophone for 4,5 years...

The 90 bucks you save today, you could just buy earlier, and in the long run, you still didn't "waste" any more money.

Like: 2x 150 Dollar is the same as 1x 300 Dollar.

So, none of those 2 can be considered the absolute best decision you could make.

However... Maybe the Hybrid stereo Speakers from the Pocophone f1 will provide you a better video experience, than the mono speaker on the Note 7. Things like this can also be worth something.

The more videos you watch, the more this is worth in my opinion.

I think I will take the poco because it runs way cooler (longer lifespan) better performance etc