Combatibility: Ryzen 5 3600x with Asus Prime x470

Hi! I'm building my first PC and I'm very excited. A friend told me about AMD's new processors they are releasing early next month and hopefully I didn't make a mistake by, already ordering and recieving my chosen motherboard, the ASUS Prime X470-Pro AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard. I'm worried it will not be fully compatible with the new processors coming out particularly the AMD Ryzen 5 3600x. My question is, will it be compatible or do I need to opt for an older processor, or return my mother board and get a nicer one?

Just now, Zagna said:

It is compatible after you update the BIOS.

1 minute ago, Daniel Z. said:

It will need a bios update, but with ASUS boards you can update bios with just a flash drive, no CPU needed.

That's it? Wow alright! Thanks!

1 minute ago, Daniel Z. said:

No problem, enjoy your system!

Thanks! I still have three weeks I have to wait till I have all the parts it's FREAKIN torture.....

Great advice guys. I'm looking at the same CPU/mobo after seeing the potential European pricing, so nice to know that I can use a flash drive to update the BIOS

On 6/17/2019 at 1:15 AM, Daniel Z. said:

It will need a bios update, but with ASUS boards you can update bios with just a flash drive, no CPU needed.

Are you sure about that? 

I don't think so.. The X470 Prime Pro doesn't have the buttons for flashback like the Crosshair has.. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

You might have a problem.  I don't know how to check the manufacture date, but look that up and then see how it compares to when ASUS release their 3rd gen Ryzen compatible BIOS.  

If anything you may want to reach out to AMD and see if they will support you like they did 2nd gen users that didn't have a CPU to flash the latest BIOS.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

7 hours ago, ch3w2oy said:

Are you sure about that? 

I don't think so.. The X470 Prime Pro doesn't have the buttons for flashback like the Crosshair has.. 

Yeah just realized that. Well AMD does have a bios flashing kit, they send you an Athlon or something and you have to send it back.

13 hours ago, ch3w2oy said:

Are you sure about that? 

Could you elaborate, I don't quite understand what you're saying. More specifically what does flashback mean, and what is Crosshair?

6 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

Yeah just realized that. Well AMD does have a bios flashing kit, they send you an Athlon or something and you have to send it back.

Soo I have to get a new mother board?

9 hours ago, nick name said:

You might have a problem.  I don't know how to check the manufacture date, but look that up and then see how it compares to when ASUS release their 3rd gen Ryzen compatible BIOS.  

If anything you may want to reach out to AMD and see if they will support you like they did 2nd gen users that didn't have a CPU to flash the latest BIOS.  

What does Flash mean?

9 hours ago, nick name said:

How do I reach out to AMD, I'm on their site and I can't for the life of me find an email, or a button to post a questions on the forums???

18 minutes ago, DylBobSwordKnee said:

Could you elaborate, I don't quite understand what you're saying. More specifically what does flashback mean, and what is Crosshair?

The Crosshair VII, the motherboard I use, has a flashback feature where you don't need a previous gen CPU to update the BIOS.. If you get an X470 motherboard and it's not already updated by the manufacturer to support the new CPUs, you will need a last gen CPU to enable compatibility with the newer CPU (BIOS update)..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

42 minutes ago, DylBobSwordKnee said:

Soo I have to get a new mother board?

no u don't have to 

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

24 minutes ago, DylBobSwordKnee said:

How do I reach out to AMD, I'm on their site and I can't for the life of me find an email, or a button to post a questions on the forums???

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

I read this thread and am pretty disappointed now with AMD 3000. So if I don't buy a x570 mb, I will have to try and borrow a cpu! I don't see how this can be better than buying a intel cpu!

Just now, skybot77 said:

I read this thread and am pretty disappointed now with AMD 3000. So if I don't buy a x570 mb, I will have to try and borrow a cpu! I don't see how this can be better than buying a intel cpu!

Either buy a motherboard that supports updating without a CPU or wait until motherboard manufacturers start shipping their X470/B450 boards with updated BIOSes.. Which quite a few will..

This is the same thing that happens when a new processor is released almost every time.. You almost always have to update the BIOS if you're trying to use previous generation motherboards with the newer generation processors.. At least AMD is giving you that option.. Intel just doesn't give a fuck..

51 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

Either buy a motherboard that supports updating without a CPU or wait until motherboard manufacturers start shipping their X470/B450 boards with updated BIOSes.. Which quite a few will..

This is the same thing that happens when a new processor is released almost every time.. You almost always have to update the BIOS if you're trying to use previous generation motherboards with the newer generation processors.. At least AMD is giving you that option.. Intel just doesn't give a fuck..

My opinion is in regards to a 9th gen. cpu that works out of the box with a 9th gen. mb that you can pick up anywhere that you don't have to use a previous gen cpu to update with. I agree many mbs needs bios updates.

1 hour ago, skybot77 said:

You can contact AMD for them to get you a BIOS updating kit.

14 hours ago, skybot77 said:

Adding to what other already mentioned. You might have older system running. And where I live online retailers offer BIOS update (for a payment but I'd recommend it's equivalent of 5-10USD).

Edit: recommend = recon. Thanks Google keyboard

8 hours ago, krysta24 said:

Adding to what other already mentioned. You might have older system running. And where I live online retailers offer BIOS update (for a payment but I'd recommend it's equivalent of 5-10USD).

11 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

You can contact AMD for them to get you a BIOS updating kit.

Turns out it's a whole crazy ordeal where you have to supply model number, serial number, some from of proof of purchase of the mother board and CPU you're trying to use. Along with pictures of both motherboard and CPU. I may just find someone who has a cpu I could borrow or take it to a computer store and see what they think and how long it would take them to get it updated.