Windows install dead but Ubuntu even better now?

So as I said in another post my windows install went completely corrupt after the latest windows update, nothing will fix it not even cmd prompt stuff or an install usb drive repair method. So I said screw it ill use ubuntu until I figure out how to fix it and since it's my busy season as a farmer I don't have time for much other than some youtube and web browsing so I don't really need the gaming compatabilty right now. So I tried installing 18.04LTS and it would not even boot, nor would 16.04LTS. So on a long shot I tried 19.04 and sofar it seems fantastic and does everything I need right off the bat. So my questions are, what is snap and is it secure? I used it to get one of my games working that I do play a bit. Does anyone know how well the graphics drivers work on 19.04? also finally what is the program that linus mentioned in a recent video that allows for alot more windows games to work on linux? I use Ubuntu on my website server but besides that it has been years since I used it as a daily driver, sine I have to start over with a new install on windows I thought I may as well try Ubuntu for now just for a change. 

If you can't install linux in it, then it must be something wrong with the system.

I suggest you find what's wrong then fixing it.

Moving to linux is not the good way to go.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

If you can't install linux in it, then it must be something wrong with the system.

I suggest you find what's wrong then fixing it.

Moving to linux is not the good way to go.

I just said 19.04 works just fine it's the other distros that will not work and what's wrong with Ubuntu? 

snap is perfectly safe, it's a way of bundling dependencies with a package for better stability and compatibility.

Linus mentioned Proton, it comes bundled with Steam. You don't need to do anything, just install Steam and if a game can run with proton Steam will let you install it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

16 hours ago, Sauron said:

You don't need to do anything, just install Steam and if a game can run with proton Steam will let you install it.

Unless it has been changed you will still need to enable Steam Play in the settings menu first or the option will not be available.

8 hours ago, Koeshi said:

Unless it has been changed you will still need to enable Steam Play in the settings menu first or the option will not be available.

Yeah, forgot about that

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 6/17/2019 at 4:22 AM, Shadow_Storm56 said:

So as I said in another post my windows install went completely corrupt after the latest windows update, nothing will fix it not even cmd prompt stuff or an install usb drive repair method. So I said screw it ill use ubuntu until I figure out how to fix it and since it's my busy season as a farmer I don't have time for much other than some youtube and web browsing so I don't really need the gaming compatabilty right now. So I tried installing 18.04LTS and it would not even boot, nor would 16.04LTS. So on a long shot I tried 19.04 and sofar it seems fantastic and does everything I need right off the bat. So my questions are, what is snap and is it secure? I used it to get one of my games working that I do play a bit. Does anyone know how well the graphics drivers work on 19.04? also finally what is the program that linus mentioned in a recent video that allows for alot more windows games to work on linux? I use Ubuntu on my website server but besides that it has been years since I used it as a daily driver, sine I have to start over with a new install on windows I thought I may as well try Ubuntu for now just for a change

Mind to give specs?

Sounds like an hardware failure to me, the 18.04 LTS should have backported drivers and should be the primary choice.

13 hours ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Mind to give specs?

Sounds like an hardware failure to me, the 18.04 LTS should have backported drivers and should be the primary choice.

19.04 works fantastic so I don't expect hardware issues. 

Unless it's an issue with my nvme drive? Samsung 950 pro if I remember correctly. I'll give specs when I get  home

So the hardware is a 7920x on an asus rampage board if I remember correctly. GTX1080 x 2, a mix of a bunch of SSd and mechanical drives with the OS drive being an NVME drive. Nothing too unsusal and no other issues besides windows went corrupt after an update and 18.04 installs but won't boot after the install. 

sorry but we're gonna need a more precise description to be able to help you in any way.

do you still need help for anything btw or did the ubuntu 19 install solve your problem?

3 hours ago, beankylla said:

sorry but we're gonna need a more precise description to be able to help you in any way.

do you still need help for anything btw or did the ubuntu 19 install solve your problem?

Basically I did a windows update and it screwed my windows install to the point of no tools working to fix it. I need to reinstall windows if I want to use it again, 19 solved the problem except I can't get steam proton to work or iTunes which are 2 things I'd like to have.

The following should get Proton working: select Steam>Settings>Steam Play and make sure that the following boxes are ticked: "Enable Steam Play for supported titles" and "Enable Steam Play for all titles".

In case it is needed in the future you can get your machines information on Linux from the terminal with:

inxi -F

On 6/20/2019 at 11:33 AM, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Basically I did a windows update and it screwed my windows install to the point of no tools working to fix it. I need to reinstall windows if I want to use it again, 19 solved the problem except I can't get steam proton to work or iTunes which are 2 things I'd like to have.

Welcome to the club. I remember how upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 messaged up my laptop. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

6 hours ago, wasab said:

Welcome to the club. I remember how upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 messaged up my laptop. 

Haha yea, ubuntu also fixed a problem I kept blaming on my router which was apparently it kept throttling my internet speed.  

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have a nvidia card by any chance? Telling us what you're trying to install Linux on would help.