RAM Question and Potential Problem?

I know I have 16 GB's of RAM installed,  yet only 8 are showing up ( 7.9 ) with apparently 8.1 in reserve? I saw somewhere to check if it's used in VRAM, and I think it is, but I've no idea how it was set up like that, nor how to change it to something more reasonable? I'm so confused. can anyone tell me if this will be a problem? There's also a bit where I have my RAM speed set to 3200 MHz in my bios, but only says it's 2133? 

List of specs that might be helpful:

GPU - 1060 3GB

CPU - 2700x

RAM - ( as this is the problem area I'll actually link the set of RAM I bought ) I hope link's aren't a bad thing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BH1CQVQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mobo - MSI GamingPlus x470

Task manager.png

vram.png

On 6/17/2019 at 10:22 AM, ForeverZero said:

I have my RAM speed set to 3200 MHz in my bios, but only says it's 2133

Did you do it via the XMP profile or you just manually selected the speed

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

how about using Dimm A1 and B1 instead of A1 and A2 probably read the manual also to check everything. Ok use XMP just like @BigRom Mention.

2 hours ago, ForeverZero said:

oh dear no replies?

idk maybe you made multiple threads about this already

@Oalei @BigRomThis is the first thread I've made about it, I browsed for other issues like it on the forums but couldn't find anything. I read the manual to check which Dimm's were which, I think I tried XMP as well as manually selecting the speed, none of which did anything, I can try XMP again to see again. But according to the second screenshot I linked it says quite a bit is being used for Virtual memory? and I've no idea how it got set like that. I'mma try XMP in a minute. I'll repost afterwards with an update. 

Update: Tried XMP, still at 2133 MHz

Edited by ForeverZero

40 minutes ago, ForeverZero said:

@Oalei @BigRomThis is the first thread I've made about it, I browsed for other issues like it on the forums but couldn't find anything. I read the manual to check which Dimm's were which, I think I tried XMP as well as manually selecting the speed, none of which did anything, I can try XMP again to see again. But according to the second screenshot I linked it says quite a bit is being used for Virtual memory? and I've no idea how it got set like that. I'mma try XMP in a minute. I'll repost afterwards with an update. 

Update: Tried XMP, still at 2133 MHz

Well just try to get it manually I guess. Well it does being recognize 14gb and 2gb cache but it clearly state that your gpu is shared another 4gb so it's suppose to be 10gb usable no problem, I don't see any problems except xmp didn't worked. 

Hey @aisle9 help me on this I don't really know why the settings like that. 

@Oalei That's the problem I've tried manually, XMP, and even both at once. I've tried many things, and I still can't get it to 3200. The rated speed of the RAM.

1 minute ago, ForeverZero said:

@Oalei That's the problem I've tried manually, XMP, and even both at once. I've tried many things, and I still can't get it to 3200. The rated speed of the RAM.

How about 3000/2933mhz?

@Oalei I havn't Tried, but I'll check in a bit. I'll do an update in about 15-20 minutes I expect.

@Oalei I tried 3000 but no dice, I don't really have time for more than that at the moment

Update: Tried lower speeds for the memory, no dice. Although I did find out I'm using A2 and B2 slots as they are the same channel. when I get time to take my PC out and apart I'll swap them to a1/b1 if y'all think it'll help.

Just now, ForeverZero said:

@Oalei I tried 3000 but no dice, I don't really have time for more than that at the moment

Update: Tried lower speeds for the memory, no dice. Although I did find out I'm using A2 and B2 slots as they are the same channel. when I get time to take my PC out and apart I'll swap them to a1/b1 if y'all think it'll help.

OK that messed it up big time If its a daisy chain and it is a daisy chain just swap it and it will work. 

5 minutes ago, ForeverZero said:

@Oalei what do you mean by daisy chain?

There is 2 different ram layout? There is daisy chain and t-topology. daisy chain loves x2 configuration and T-topology loves being full x4 but daisy chain will only work optimally with A1 and B1 if its not then bios will be messed up because it is just made that way I'm not qualified enough to make that explanation.

@Oalei

Alright I'll try it later when I've got time to take out my pc, what about my ram that's up and ran away to my GPU? I know theres a way to fix it, but uhh, no idea what it is.

@Oalei@BigRom Update: managed to fix it by changing memory slots to A1/B1, however It seems the OC won't go past a certain point, Most likely due to voltage problems, I've never overclocked RAM before, so I don't exactly know how far I should go. is 1.25/1.3V safe y'all recon?

4 hours ago, ForeverZero said:

@Oalei@BigRom Update: managed to fix it by changing memory slots to A1/B1, however It seems the OC won't go past a certain point, Most likely due to voltage problems, I've never overclocked RAM before, so I don't exactly know how far I should go. is 1.25/1.3V safe y'all recon?

I forgot what is safe voltage for ram but use 1.275 it will works most of the time. 

@Oalei hmm, That's kind of odd, I have it set to 1.3V and uhh... it wont go back up to 2800, it's back down to 2133. :/ Any suggestions? I'll try tinkering around again, but I've no idea why it won't overclock now 0.o

Okay this is irking me, I managed to actually get it to 2800 MHz, then after I restarted, it went back down to base 2133? same settings and everything. Some help would be appreciated.

5 hours ago, ForeverZero said:

@Oalei hmm, That's kind of odd, I have it set to 1.3V and uhh... it wont go back up to 2800, it's back down to 2133. :/ Any suggestions? I'll try tinkering around again, but I've no idea why it won't overclock now 0.o

ok here's a thing just follow the spec timings and go for 1.35V and lower it time to time to see if its stable and if its not go back and let it be.

@Oalei Well, I managed to get 2800 I think, but I can't manage to get any higher, I'm 2800 at 1.28V No matter how high I go for the voltage. Any idea's? It looks like the 2800 is stable, I'll have to go with it for a while to know for sure.

1 hour ago, ForeverZero said:

@Oalei Well, I managed to get 2800 I think, but I can't manage to get any higher, I'm 2800 at 1.28V No matter how high I go for the voltage. Any idea's? It looks like the 2800 is stable, I'll have to go with it for a while to know for sure.

I myself never really do ram overclocking, make a new thread about ram overclocking this much is all I can do and don't forget to provide the photo of bios settings.