Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JCMikulak

Getting Internet to Mother-in-law Quarters

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi everyone!  I have an idea about getting internet to my mother-in-law's house on our property that I'd like feedback on.  My plan right now is to run Cat6 outdoor ethernet cable from the router in my house (Asus RT-AC86U), through and down an exterior wall, through PCV buried in a shallow trench that runs to her house.  It will then go up the wall of her house into where her home office room will be.  The total length of the cable run is about 65 feet from my router to where I plan to put the ethernet jack in her office wall.  Does this sound like a good plan?  Any other suggestions for doing something like this?  The other part to this I haven't figured out yet is getting wifi throughout the rest of her house...is this as simple as connecting another router to her end of the ethernet run?  Any help would be appreciated!

use ethernet surge protectors at both ends of the outdoor ethernet run. These ones from Ubiquiti are good: https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-ETH-SP-G2-Surge-Suppressor-Protector/dp/B079HXKRW1/ (if US Amazon isn't a good source for you, check here for resellers: https://www.ui.com/distributors/ and you are looking for an "ETH-SP-G2". Note that the "ETH-SP" is only 100Mb, the "-G2" means gigabit).

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Do you have line of sight to the building? You could use something like long range wifi bridge, saves having to run cable if you would prefer. Just another option!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I have line of sight to the building but the wireless bridges I've looked at were expensive...I will check out the TP-Link CPE220

Ubiquiti LiteBeam's are very cheap and range is very good, you will get perfect performance if you have line of sight

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications