I swear they make the front IO little connectors complicated on Purpose. Need help u guys

Go to solution Solved by Falkentyne,
4 minutes ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

Attached are the images I've never had a problem with this before. But for some reason this mobo is shit at explaining it. For instance it says that the two HDD LED connecter needs to go to TWO DIFFERENT numbers on the bloody thing. Meaning I would need to break them in half just to have it work. That can't be right can it?? Surely not.

I guess a better question is how is the thing numbered. Because from what I can tell it goes like my example. But if thats true then the things are sparsed all over the damn thing. 

Would love some help since there are no videos on this specific mobo and how to do it. 

MSI mobo front panel connector diagram.png

IMG-9809.JPG

IMG-9810.JPG

Hello,

First of all, each connector that has an LED is polarity keyed because LED powered connectors need a + and - to transmit voltage signals to the front I/O for the lights.

The HDD LED and Power LED are both polarity keyed.

So what it means is, Pin "1" for HDD LED has positive polarity and pin "3" for HDD LED has negative polarity.  So that's where the pins go.

Pin numbers on circuit boards are *usually* counted CLOCKWISE for chip IC's (like SOIC8 or DIP8 chips). 

However there seems to be no clear standard for how they are labeled on jumper pins.  

In your example, you have them labeled wrong.  In this case, they are staggered in groups, so pin 1 is bottom left and pin 2 is top left, then pin 3 is to the RIGHT of bottom left, and pin 4 is to the RIGHT of top left!

So your label is wrong.

Please don't make fun of my paint skills.  I have zero artistic ability.  But this is how they are supposed to be labeled.

They mark "1" and "8" so you know where to start and stop.

So as you can see, pins 1 and 3 are HORIZONTAL orientation on the rectangle sideways (long way).  So HDD LED pin "+" goes in the bottom left, and the "-" pin goes right next to it :)

pinout_mainboard.jpg

Attached are the images I've never had a problem with this before. But for some reason this mobo is shit at explaining it. For instance it says that the two HDD LED connecter needs to go to TWO DIFFERENT numbers on the bloody thing. Meaning I would need to break them in half just to have it work. That can't be right can it?? Surely not.

I guess a better question is how is the thing numbered. Because from what I can tell it goes like my example. But if thats true then the things are sparsed all over the damn thing. 

Would love some help since there are no videos on this specific mobo and how to do it. 

IMG-9809.JPG

IMG-9810.JPG

If u want a response then YOU'D best Quote me so I can see it.

Shouldn't have to say this but the few ruin it for them all......

Um, I would assume you have the blue numbers flipped around. The top ones are even numbers, the bottom ones odd. That would make the most sense in my head.

Plus that way you can actually plug in things like your HDD LED

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

@Magnetar_Byte

the pins on the right here. Look at the manual row bottom row (left row of the right pair of rows) is the uneven numbers the one on the right, right even numbers. 

D4E57C57-FE32-47A1-8880-EB62365D7A03.png

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

4 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Um, I would assume you have the blue numbers flipped around. The top ones are even numbers, the bottom ones odd. That would make the most sense in my head.

Plus that way you can actually plug in things like your HDD LED

So I'm not crazy. I was thinking the same thing. Alrit I'll try it

If its wrong it won't fry anything right. Seeing as it could send the wrong current to the wrong lead. But I imagine the current is weak enough to be neglible rit?

You’re not plugging it into the right set of pins not the left set of pins right? 

4 minutes ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

IMG-9809.JPG

IMG-9810.JPG

Hello,

First of all, each connector that has an LED is polarity keyed because LED powered connectors need a + and - to transmit voltage signals to the front I/O for the lights.

So what it means is, Pin "1" for HDD LED has positive polarity and pin "3" for HDD LED has negative polarity.  So that's where the pins go.

Pin numbers on circuit boards are *usually* counted CLOCKWISE for chip IC's (like SOIC8 or DIP8 chips). 

However there seems to be no clear standard for how they are labeled on jumper pins.  

In your example, you have them labeled wrong.  In this case, they are staggered in groups, so pin 1 is bottom left and pin 2 is top left, then pin 3 is to the RIGHT of bottom left, and pin 4 is to the RIGHT of top left!

So your label is wrong.

Please don't make fun of my paint skills.  I have zero artistic ability.  But this is how they are supposed to be labeled.

So as you can see, pins 1 and 3 are HORIZONTAL orientation on the rectangle sideways (long way).  So HDD LED pin "+" goes in the bottom left, and the "-" pin goes right next to it :)

pinout_mainboard.jpg

1 minute ago, Falkentyne said:

Hello,

So your label is wrong.

pinout_mainboard.jpg

This makes much more sense. I was gonna say I get my case and Mobo are from diff companies. But I couldn't imagine it would be that different, i'll try it hold up.

And thxs :) my paint skills are just as bad lol don't feel bad.