Want to make a server to host games, could you guys help me make sure the parts are compatible

Why a rackmount case? Do you have a rack?

Why C232?

Why use an old Xeon?

Why the 250GB HDD?

Did you even do some research on what you need to host games?

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

Why C232?

Why use an old Xeon?

Why the 250GB HDD?

yeah wtf is that hard drive xD

The CPU isn't compatible with the motherboard.

The memory you'll want UDIMM ECC or RDIMM ECC

That chassis looks too long for the rack.

I'd look into the NH-D9L cooler. Quiet, works well.

I wouldn't trust that RAID card as far as I can throw it. Look into either LSI controllers or consider software RAID instead.

I might go with a slightly better PSU.

What OS are you planning to use?

4 minutes ago, Joshcanread said:

wtf is that hard drive

the worst part is that it says ' certified repaired' on it 

guess OP went with it because its cheap ? ?‍♂️

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Why C232?

Why use an old Xeon?

Why the 250GB HDD?

answering from top to bottom

Id like to eventually up the number of rack mounts to the cabinet as said in description to upgrade performance

The c232 is to save cost on a server grade motherboard

the old Xeon CPU is to help with price as the new ones cost triple the one described

and I got four 250GB as its cheap and enables for RAID 10

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

The CPU isn't compatible with the motherboard.

The memory you'll want UDIMM ECC or RDIMM ECC

That chassis looks too long for the rack.

I'd look into the NH-D9L cooler. Quiet, works well.

I wouldn't trust that RAID card as far as I can throw it. Look into either LSI controllers or consider software RAID instead.

I might go with a slightly better PSU.

What OS are you planning to use?

thanks for the suggestions

sorry for the bad picks in hardware still quite new to server building 

as for the os I was gonna download proxmox on it

5 minutes ago, TechCat25 said:

Id like to eventually up the number of rack mounts to the cabinet as said in description to upgrade performance

the old Xeon CPU is to help with price as the new ones cost triple the one described

Just get consumer parts or buy an old decommissioned server/workstation.

You do not need Xeons, registered memory, datacenter HDDs, or RAID to run a few game servers.

7 minutes ago, TechCat25 said:

Servers aren't servers because someone claims the hardware to be "server-grade".

Servers are servers because they fulfill the role of a server in a network.

To make it simple: Raid-controllers, Xeons, ECC-RAM, and server-chipsets are not going to make it a better server.

First of all, you should establish why you need a server and whether it is actually worth building and maintaining one! You should also know your specific scenario. Is it just for a couple of guys on a Minecraft server or are you trying to host dozens of people on a private Battlefield V server? There are massive differences.

Depending on that you can find out which hardware you need.

And then you also need to know whether the available bandwidth of your internet connection is sufficient.

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Servers aren't servers because someone claims the hardware to be "server-grade".

Servers are servers because they fulfill the role of a server in a network.

To make it simple: Raid-controllers, Xeons, ECC-RAM, and server-chipsets are not going to make it a better server.

First of all, you should establish why you need a server and whether it is actually worth building and maintaining one! You should also know your specific scenario. Is it just for a couple of guys on a Minecraft server or are you trying to host dozens of people on a private Battlefield V server? There are massive differences.

Depending on that you can find out which hardware you need.

And then you also need to know whether the available bandwidth of your internet connection is sufficient.

I would like for my server to eventually be multipurpose so to host Rust if you know it, which can have an average of up to 100 player a day on a single server, and I would also like for my server to simply hold privet files

honestly I want a simple server that can handle very heavy loads and it doesn't have to be silent

6 minutes ago, TechCat25 said:

thanks for the suggestions

sorry for the bad picks in hardware still quite new to server building 

as for the os I was gonna download proxmox on it

Like others are saying you could save some money and go with a low-end pre-build. eBay is full of retired gear. Unless your ulterior motive is you want to BUILD it.

PROXMOX uses ZFS a software form of RAID control. You won't need a hardware RAID controller. Have you worked with or installed PROXMOX before?

Just now, TechCat25 said:

I would like for my server to eventually be multipurpose so to host Rust if you know it, which can have an average of up to 100 player a day on a single server, and I would also like for my server to simply hold privet files

honestly I want a simple server that can handle very heavy loads and it doesn't have to be silent

Get consumer parts.

Xeons are not any faster than normal CPUs.  The only benefit is that some of them are dirt cheap because they are decommissioned by the thousands from datacenters.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Like others are saying you could save some money and go with a low-end pre-build. eBay is full of retired gear. Unless your ulterior motive is you want to BUILD it.

PROXMOX uses ZFS a software form of RAID control. You won't need a hardware RAID controller. Have you worked with or installed PROXMOX before?

to answer your first question yes I would like to build my own and feel proud about something I built instead of admiring something somebody else built

for the second questions no I haven't worked with proxmox software

1 minute ago, TechCat25 said:

to answer your first question yes I would like to build my own and feel proud about something I built instead of admiring something somebody else built

for the second questions no I haven't worked with proxmox software

Very relatable. What is your budget for hardware?

I like it. Creating a bootable USB to do the installation is a bit tricky though because Rufus doesn't work. I can help you if you need it. Actually I've been meaning to write and post a PROXMOX quick-start guide.

6 minutes ago, TechCat25 said:

So what's your available bandwidth and ping to the nearest IXP (Internet Exchange Point)?

Depending on that you might not be able to host anywhere near 100 players.

Then we can talk hardware...

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Very relatable. What is your budget for hardware?

I like it. Creating a bootable USB to do the installation is a bit tricky though because Rufus doesn't work. I can help you if you need it. Actually I've been meaning to write and post a PROXMOX quick-start guide.

If I had to make a new list my budget would be 1000 - 1500 SGD

So what's your available bandwidth and ping to the nearest IXP (Internet Exchange Point)?

Depending on that you might not be able to host anywhere near 100 players.

Then we can talk hardware...

My Internet service Provider gives me 1Gb/S of data transfer and my router is a ASUS RT-AC5300 AC5300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router that's all I know

found the stats

2.4GHz band at 1000 Mbps along with two 5GHz bands at 2167Mbps

1 minute ago, TechCat25 said:

My Internet service Provider gives me 1Gb/S of data transfer and my router is a ASUS RT-AC5300 AC5300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router that's all I know

Do me a favor and do a little speedtest and we'll see.

https://www.speedtest.net

1Gbit/s would be fantastic as download speed, but I also need to know ping and upload.

Otherwise, I'm not going to make a recommendation.

Do me a favor and do a little speedtest and we'll see.

https://www.speedtest.net

1Gbit/s would be fantastic as download speed, but I also need to know ping and upload.

Otherwise, I'm not going to make a recommendation.

with nothing but the Speediest website running I get

10 Ping

62.1 Mbps of download speed

5.87 Mbps of upload Speed

2 minutes ago, TechCat25 said:

10 Ping

though I need to add I'm not directly connected to my router and I'm pretty far away

id say about 10 to 15 meters

Only after 100 meters do you get a bad connection on a utp cable

7 minutes ago, TechCat25 said:

10 Ping

Yeah, that's what I thought. That's nowhere near the 1Gbit/s you mentioned before.

Unless you tested this with a Wi-Fi connection. Without a cable connection you obviously won't see your true speed.

I don't know how resource hungry a game like Rust can be, but I don't recommend hosting more than a couple of people with that connection.

For a couple of friends, it might be fine, but you could just host that on your own machine while gaming tbh.

If you really want to host more than 5, 6, maybe 7 people I'd recommend you rent a server that has the available bandwidth to handle more users.

If you're still looking for a server that can store files for you, look into buying a NAS.

Much easier setup and better support. Also costs much less in the long run.

Just now, Senzelian said:

-snip-

Was just reading a reddit post, although a few years old now, that mentions 25Mb/s of upload and download for a server of 100 people. I'd be curious to see wired speed from the router but I doubt it's going to increase upload by a ton.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Yeah, that's what I thought. That's nowhere near the 1Gbit/s you mentioned before.

I don't know how resource hungry a game like Rust can be, but I don't recommend hosting more than a couple of people with that connection.

For a couple of friends, it might be fine, but you could just host that on your own machine while gaming tbh.

If you really want to host more than 5, 6, maybe 7 people I'd recommend you rent a server that has the available bandwidth to handle more users.

If you're still looking for a server that can store files for you, look into buying a NAS.

Much easier setup and better support. Also costs much less in the long run.

id also like to mention that I'm on an early 2015 MacBook Air with DDR3 Ram