RAM Not Working and Crashing Programs?

avrona

Hey so it appears that I'm having some issues with my RAM. Games keep crashing and usually take Chrome with it, and whenever Chrome goes I get the message you get when it runs out of RAM, and today when a game crashed I also got an error message for it for the first time, and it said it was an error with a memory location. I've ran memtest and it returned no errors. Any ideas?

Are you sure it's not a capacity issue?

Sounds to me that you do not have enough ram available.

Chrome is known to use a lot of it so that might explain why it gets taken out when your system runs out.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Are you sure it's not a capacity issue?

Sounds to me that you do not have enough ram available.

Chrome is known to use a lot of it so that might explain why it gets taken out when your system runs out.

I have 16GB of RAM, I've never had capacity issues on this system before.

2 minutes ago, avrona said:

I have 16GB of RAM, I've never had capacity issues on this system before.

Can you check in task manager how much is used when you are using the system normally?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

Can you check in task manager how much is used when you are using the system normally?

As in without a game running, just with Chrome and basic apps? 6GB.

Just now, avrona said:

As in without a game running, just with Chrome and basic apps? 6GB.

That seems fine, maybe it is worth to check if you have some virtual memory available?

You can check it by following this guide: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows-10,36929.html

I doubt it has to do with unstable ram tho because unstable ram usually causes BSOD's as well.

Just now, samcool55 said:

That seems fine, maybe it is worth to check if you have some virtual memory available?

You can check it by following this guide: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows-10,36929.html

I doubt it has to do with unstable ram tho because unstable ram usually causes BSOD's as well.

I don't have any virtual memory set, should I set some up?

2 minutes ago, avrona said:

I don't have any virtual memory set, should I set some up?

Yea, I would say set the max to 16.384 MB and the minimum to 8.192 MB.

Hopefully that solves it.

edit: after applying the settings, reboot the pc and check the settings, sometimes it is a bit derpy and does not set properly.

2 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Yea, I would say set the max to 16.384 MB and the minimum to 8.192 MB.

Hopefully that solves it.

edit: after applying the settings, reboot the pc and check the settings, sometimes it is a bit derpy and does not set properly.

Checked and it's not me running out of RAM, task manager says I have plenty spare.

So I reinstalled Chrome to see if that helps but it also didn't. Anyone got anymore ideas?