PC feels "Heavy"

nmsxsu
15 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

For the SSD, it can make a difference in games that load a lot and can't otherwise keep up - perhaps even a huge difference indeed - but it's not going to change the framerate you get standing still, nor fix stutters that aren't caused by loading in the first place.  The speed of your games drive is like RAM - if you don't have enough, more makes a huge difference but if you've already got plenty, adding more won't do anything.

Speaking of the RAM, hopefully that is the solution.  We'll see soon enough I guess.  Glad to hear the SSD is working as expected in other areas though.

It did improve the loading times in some games like Insurgency Sandstorm which was unplayable for me before, because I had to wait 5-6 minutes for the map to load, now it takes 10 seconds. In other games I can see improvements but it's not so drastic. But even if it didn't change the game experience at all I would've upgraded anyway, my work is a lot smoother now and boot times are crazy fast like it takes 5 seconds. I know that for a lot of you guys it's normal but for a guy who had to wait 5 mins for his PC to boot and another two for the programs to load it's a lot. The ram should be delivered today, I'll keep you posted.

On 6/20/2019 at 4:41 AM, nemeshisu said:

It did improve the loading times in some games like Insurgency Sandstorm which was unplayable for me before, because I had to wait 5-6 minutes for the map to load, now it takes 10 seconds. In other games I can see improvements but it's not so drastic. But even if it didn't change the game experience at all I would've upgraded anyway, my work is a lot smoother now and boot times are crazy fast like it takes 5 seconds. I know that for a lot of you guys it's normal but for a guy who had to wait 5 mins for his PC to boot and another two for the programs to load it's a lot. The ram should be delivered today, I'll keep you posted.

Glad to hear it's working out.  And yeah it's good even for games that already worked fine just to make them load faster, but I would have expected somewhere between a 50% and maybe 3x improvement at the most, not 5 mins -> 10 seconds xD Makes me wonder if the old drive might be having early signs of failing, or was enormously fragmented, but thats just a guess.  Either way, that's great that it's so much better now.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 6/21/2019 at 11:31 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Glad to hear it's working out.  And yeah it's good even for games that already worked fine just to make them load faster, but I would have expected somewhere between a 50% and maybe 3x improvement at the most, not 5 mins -> 10 seconds xD Makes me wonder if the old drive might be having early signs of failing, or was enormously fragmented, but thats just a guess.  Either way, that's great that it's so much better now.

Yeah it was really old and slow and lately it was slower than ever, and I always had problems with it. I have a question though, Windows is seeing my ssd as a removable drive now, I looked it up and it seems like it's a Mobo problem, but it shouldn't impact performance. Should I worry about it? I'm not seeing any performance issues, the only thing that bothers me is the "safely remove drive" notification.

10 hours ago, nemeshisu said:

Yeah it was really old and slow and lately it was slower than ever, and I always had problems with it. I have a question though, Windows is seeing my ssd as a removable drive now, I looked it up and it seems like it's a Mobo problem, but it shouldn't impact performance. Should I worry about it? I'm not seeing any performance issues, the only thing that bothers me is the "safely remove drive" notification.

Ah I have heard that can happen but I've never looked into it myself.  I think you can probably correct that with a registry tweak, or possibly playing with SATA hotswap settings in the BIOS.  It shouldn't really impact performance though unless it's disabled certain caching features the way it would by default for an actual removable drive.  You can check this in device manager iirc

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

34 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Ah I have heard that can happen but I've never looked into it myself.  I think you can probably correct that with a registry tweak, or possibly playing with SATA hotswap settings in the BIOS.  It shouldn't really impact performance though unless it's disabled certain caching features the way it would by default for an actual removable drive.  You can check this in device manager iirc

I checked and everything looks in place, I will see if I can do something to hide that notification.