Overclocking hard drives

Faisal A

Is there way way to over clock a standard 3.5 inch hard drive by increasing the rotation speed.

If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

No. Also it wouldn't be overclocking as there's no clock involved.

It might be possible if you could dump the firmware and were able to edit it, whether you'd get a usable drive at the end is a different matter.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

42 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

It might be possible if you could dump the firmware and were able to edit it, whether you'd get a usable drive at the end is a different matter.

Even if one could modify the firmware to push the platter-motor to higher speed, there's no guarantee that the components on the PCB could handle the higher current passing through them. Also, there is no saying if the actual physical construction itself could handle that, like e.g. the higher rotational speed of the platters would create more turbulence on the drive-head and it might not be able to handle that anymore, becoming unstable and therefore not able to correctly read or write anymore.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

57 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

Is there way way to over clock a standard 3.5 inch hard drive by increasing the rotation speed.

No. There is what is known as Short-Stroking where you only use the fastest area of the disc to store files, at the cost of storage space.
If you require performance storage look at buying a SSD. The fastest HDD will be worse than the slowest SSD.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450