Bad VRAM on R9 290X

c00face

I was troubleshooting and trying to figure out a cheap way to replace the VRAM modules on the R9 290x by getting my hands on a savage card from ebay. Then an idea actually came to me while I was pondering on my bed. Can I not just remove the bad VRAM modules and edit the vBIOS from 4GB VRAM usage to 2GB (the good memory modules) and just remove the bad VRAM modules?

It wouldn't hurt to try, but I want to know if there is any consequences using lesser VRAM or is there some hard code that requires the full 4GB usage by the GPU chip?

1 minute ago, c00face said:

I was troubleshooting and trying to figure out a cheap way to replace the VRAM modules on the R9 290x by getting my hands on a savage card from ebay. Then an idea actually came to me while I was pondering on my bed. Can I not just remove the bad VRAM modules and edit the vBIOS from 4GB VRAM usage to 2GB (the good memory modules) and just remove the bad VRAM modules?

It wouldn't hurt to try, but I want to know if there is any consequences using lesser VRAM or is there some hard code that requires the full 4GB usage by the GPU chip?

You're far better off just buying a $120 RX 570 unless you have access to a ton of soldering equipment.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You're far better off just buying a $120 RX 570 unless you have access to a ton of soldering equipment.

I wouldn't need soldering equipment if I'm just removing the bad modules. I'm not replacing it with anything. Also, most of the memory modules can be removed and add back on with just the hot air gun.

2 minutes ago, c00face said:

I wouldn't need soldering equipment if I'm just removing the bad modules. I'm not replacing it with anything. Also, most of the memory modules can be removed and add back on with just the hot air gun.

Either way you'd get the same performance, but with half of the power/draw heat with the 570. Can find them for $100 on ebay, buy it now, free shipping

I mean if you just want to have fun I guess try replacing the memory

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-Radeon-RX-570-4GB-Nitro-Graphics-Card-GPU-AMD/153504945283?hash=item23bd9b9483:g:EKEAAOSwxFhc7hHA

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

32 minutes ago, c00face said:

No.

The core resources are tied to each memory controller, each module removed would reduce performance.  And you dont know how to edit the VBIOS to disable parts of the chip.

37 minutes ago, c00face said:

it wont work if you dont replace them

besides using your card as a test platform is just a waste of soldering iron and time. Might as well replace all the memory chips with known good ones at that point

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 hour ago, KarathKasun said:

No.

The core resources are tied to each memory controller, each module removed would reduce performance.  And you dont know how to edit the VBIOS to disable parts of the chip.

Actually, I did some more troubleshooting. I wouldn't need to remove the bad VRAM, what I can do is cut off the supply to the VRAM and make the GPU think that it isn't even there. Out of the 7 VRAMS on the R9 290, if one is bad, that leaves the care with roughly 3.5 GB out of the 4 GB. Which is actually 1080P capable. As far not being able to edit the BIOS on the R9 290... I got that covered.

image.png.9a8294c533ec2da181e3ed7fa7a9a1f4.png

I guess more of this thread is really me trying to get more information from others and their opinion on the matter. And hopefully I can use that information to bring this card back to life. This is all just for fun and a nice project to really learn more and to dig deeper into the GPU sector.

56 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

it wont work if you dont replace them

besides using your card as a test platform is just a waste of soldering iron and time. Might as well replace all the memory chips with known good ones at that point

I thought of this too. Just to replace all of the 7 VRAMS on the GPU. But I think I came out with possibly a better solution. The problem for me now is figuring out how I can determine which VRAM is the bad actor.

2 hours ago, c00face said:

Can I not just remove the bad VRAM modules and edit the vBIOS from 4GB VRAM usage to 2GB (the good memory modules) and just remove the bad VRAM modules?

How about you try that first? Edit the VBIOS to 2GB and see if the GPU can POST since Tahiti was made for 4GB and 8GB only.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |