GPU Overheating

C3rvine

First of all sorry if I'm posting it in wrong section because this is my first post on this forum. 

So here is the problem;

I bought this already built PC in April 2019 with i7 4790K, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Asus Q87 Motherboard, Corsair H45 Cooler, No Extra Chassis Fans or LEDs etc.

PC was running OK with normal workload, then I installed Asus RX 580 8G Dual OC in it.

After installing GPU I played Sniper Elite 4 for testing the GPU I noticed that GPU temperature goes upto 82C and my PC restarts. After that I did some settings on MSI Afterburner for the fans and started the game again, temperature went to 77C and PC restarted. 
I thought it might be because there is no airflow, so I decided to install 2X 140mm fans. After installing the fans I turned my PC on and it stuck on log in screen, restarted the PC again it stuck. 

Now I think that this might be because of underpower power supply, because I have 500W PSU in it.
Please anyone can help?

1 minute ago, C3rvine said:

Where'd you get the RX 580 from?

What case? Could have just taken the side panel off instead of buying fans for it.

Go into wattman and drop the power limit to 50%, if it runs fine with less power it's most likely that the PSU is the issue

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Where'd you get the RX 580 from?

What case? Could have just taken the side panel off instead of buying fans for it.

Go into wattman and drop the power limit to 50%, if it runs fine with less power it's most likely that the PSU is the issue

I got GPU from a local store pin packed new, and I have CaseCom VS93 case. 
And yes I haven't tried to lower the power limit I'll try it.

12 minutes ago, C3rvine said:

I got GPU from a local store pin packed new, and I have CaseCom VS93 case. 
And yes I haven't tried to lower the power limit I'll try it.

Shouldn't have any major airflow issues I don't think, unless your PCI-e brackets all all blocked, if they have covers you could try taking those off too.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Shouldn't have any major airflow issues I don't think, unless your PCI-e brackets all all blocked, if they have covers you could try taking those off too.

So it might be PSU then?

14 minutes ago, C3rvine said:

So it might be PSU then?

Did it work fine while drawing less power?

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Did it work fine while drawing less power?

So here is the update,
First I unplugged fans, turned on PC and it started normally and stayed on normal. Next I started MSI Afterburner and set the power limit at -50%. Started the game and played for like 30 mins. Temperature was at 62C peak. Then I set the power limit at -25% and played the game for almost 90 mins, works fine and temperature went to 68C peak. 
Out of these results what do you think?

1 minute ago, C3rvine said:

So here is the update,
First I unplugged fans, turned on PC and it started normally and stayed on normal. Next I started MSI Afterburner and set the power limit at -50%. Started the game and played for like 30 mins. Temperature was at 62C peak. Then I set the power limit at -25% and played the game for almost 90 mins, works fine and temperature went to 68C peak. 
Out of these results what do you think?

If it's only crashing when it's drawing more power it's probably the PSU, your GPU isn't going to thermal throttle until it's hitting like 90C, and even then it'll typically slow down not just crash out.

More than likely just replace the PSU with something modern and see what it does with that.

Anything around 500W from a reputable brand should be fine, PSU pricing is up a good amount if you're in the US because of capacitor shortages and tarrifs.

Spoiler