5.1 Surround with 4 speakers?

I have two separate sets of speakers, and one of them has a subwoofer connected. My computer motherboard has audio out for 5.1 surround, so I tried plugging in my Harmon/Kardon Sounsticks to the front speaker out, and then the other set of speakers to the side speaker out. Then I configured in control panel to both 5.1 surround and quadraphonic to test it out. Neither worked, and only the front speakers were playing. Then I plugged the second set of speakers into the rear speaker port and it worked, but obviously it was only playing rear sound. I want to try to use them as speakers on the SIDE so that if I'm gaming or something, I can hear things from the side from those speakers... motherboard is MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, if that helps.

5.1 uses Front, Center and Rear channels. 7.1 adds Sides. Maybe try setting to 7.1 and only configure the sides/fronts

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

4 hours ago, FloRolf said:

5.1 uses Front, Center and Rear channels. 7.1 adds Sides. Maybe try setting to 7.1 and only configure the sides/fronts

So I did what you said, and now the extra speakers work. Thanks for that, but something odd happened. I expected the front speakers to sound exactly the same as they did before, but they sound really weird now. Like the new speakers are stealing some of the sound from the front and only playing in the side speakers. I thought it would sound exactly the same from the front speakers and... wasn't sure what the side ones would sound like.

13 hours ago, Aaralli said:

So I did what you said, and now the extra speakers work. Thanks for that, but something odd happened. I expected the front speakers to sound exactly the same as they did before, but they sound really weird now. Like the new speakers are stealing some of the sound from the front and only playing in the side speakers. I thought it would sound exactly the same from the front speakers and... wasn't sure what the side ones would sound like.

Your front speakers dont play sounds that show up on the rear channels.

If you want normal stereo things to play on all speakers, yon need to enable "speaker fill" in the audio enhancements tab of your sound devices adjustment panel.

4 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Your front speakers dont play sounds that show up on the rear channels.

If you want normal stereo things to play on all speakers, yon need to enable "speaker fill" in the audio enhancements tab of your sound devices adjustment panel.

Okay, thanks. I'll try this out and then tell you if anything else happens.

EDIT: Um, for some reason, that window doesn't have the enhancements tab... I know I've seen it on other computers before though. Is there some sort of update or driver that I'm missing that would cause that menu to not be there?