Where to get a cheap "do em up" Mac mini

I'm a student/tech enthusiast and something that has held me back when applying  for jobs is my lac of knowledge concerning macOS and apple hardware. I'm looking to purchase a cheap mac mini (probably no older than 2010 as it would be beneficial to get it running Mojave). Does anyone know of a cheap way of getting a mac mini or similar machine (Preferably in the UK) for around £100 or under. I know its a tall ask but I wouldn't mind bringing a malfunctioning machine back into shape (in fact I would thoroughly enjoy it)

Thank you for your time!!

After thought: I have looked into the hackintosh route but my hardware wouldn't be the best suited to it and i am also looking to gain experience with the hardware. I have also used macOS in vmware through using the macOS patcher but the experience isn't the best and again i am looking to learn about the hardware as well.

I would honestly just poke around the used market and hope you can find one for a good deal.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

You would need late 2012 or better for full support of the newest MacOS (10.15),  although patchers do exist to upgrade older models. If you are going to used hackintosh route, which isn't a bad idea, make sure to buy Gigabyte motherboards, AMD/ATi graphics cards (Or Nvidia 6xx/7xx I think work? - Intel integrated GPUs actually work pretty great, usually better on MacOS than Windows), Intel CPUs, and follow the guides online, which there should be one for your board.

For specs for a hackintosh I would recommend, as a minimum:

Intel Core i5 3470

4GB RAM

64Gb Storage

AMD HD 5850

The gigabyte board is probably the most important thing. 

4 minutes ago, floofer said:

You would need late 2012 or better for full support of the newest MacOS (10.15),  although patchers do exist to upgrade older models. If you are going to used hackintosh route, which isn't a bad idea, make sure to buy Gigabyte motherboards, AMD/ATi graphics cards (Or Nvidia 6xx/7xx I think work

I thought Maxwell would still work in a Hackintosh. I know Kepler will work.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, CUDAcores89 said:

or got to 1 hundred scrap yards until you fine one.

That too.

It doesn't work as well in the UK as it does over here though, hence my recommendation for the used market instead ;)

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I thought Maxwell would still work in a Hackintosh. I know Kepler will work.

There are some bugs, but yeah it is supported just OK, if you're a bit newer to hackintoshing, and if just buying and not re-using a graphics card, you might as well go for AMD. I'm not sure how Maxwell will work with no metal support however. 

1 minute ago, CUDAcores89 said:

cause the UK is a nanny state that doesn't want people getting hurt at scrapyards but is okay with having the same computers shredded and recycled.

The UK is full of scrap yards where anyone can walk in and grab what they want. What we don't have is people suing said scrapyards when they injure themselves climbing up a pile of cars, we just get on with it ;)

5 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

Then what is stopping OP from going out and finding a mac mini in a scrapyard?

What kind of scrap yard? Where? I've heard of places like what has been described overseas but not so much here in the uk

1 minute ago, CUDAcores89 said:

Then what is stopping OP from going out and finding a mac mini in a scrapyard?

Could be the country-wide rain and occasional severe flooding we've been having over the last week or so. May render any electrical items left outside a bit fucked up ;)

Also stuck with the fucking WEEE regulations, electronic products need to be recycled rather than smashed for scrap. Nothing to do with a "nanny state" (unless you count the EU), and everything to do with the EU and their wonderful ideas.

Thanks for the reply(s) guys. As I said in the original post I'm not looking into the hackintosh side as much as I also need to gain experience maintaining and upgrading the hardware (I've heard they can be a bugger to work on). I appreciate the support and info though in the event I do decide to tackle a hackintosh

4 minutes ago, Keith W said:

Check out the CEX website, they sometimes have the odd cheap mac mini.

Having said that mind you I personally wouldn't purchase from them

I've had a few bad items from CEX but always got money back when I've returned them.

9 hours ago, CUDAcores89 said:

Which is completely f*ckin backwards, because REUSING is ALWAYS better than recycling.

If the UK really wants to help the enviornment, they would allow and encourage the reuse of products instead of recycling them.

Stuck with the decisions of the EU with choice in the matter.