How to enable freesync and v sync at same time

220VoltsallCore

To enable G Sync on a Freesync display with an Nvidia GPU you need a certified monitor otherwise it probably won't work as expected and it might not work at all.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

I believe you simply need to connect the monitor by Display Port and turn on Freesync in the monitors OSD then the G Sync option should appear in the Nvidia Control Panel.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

@Master Disaster he’s asking about V sync, not G sync. FreeSync = amd equivalent to G sync.

but as it has been thrown open for 10xx series and above, many monitors work with g sync, even if they are not g sync compatible. Can not find the google doc from reddit right now,  usercwse doc showing what screens work which don’t etc etc

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

3 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

@Master Disaster he’s asking about V sync, not G sync. FreeSync = amd equivalent to G sync.

but as it has been thrown open for 10xx series and above, many monitors work with g sync, even if they are not g sync compatible. Can not find the google doc from reddit right now,  usercwse doc showing what screens work which don’t etc etc

He asked about V Sync and Freesync simultaneously, you cannot use Freesync with an Nvidia GPU though.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

He asked about V Sync and Freesync simultaneously, you cannot use Freesync with an Nvidia GPU though.

Yes you can, 10xx series

and above 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

Yes you can 

Please explain, I've personally tested my own Freesync display on a GTX1070, you can enable G Sync (though as I said if the display isn't supported then it probably won't work properly) but enabling Freesync requires AMD drivers to be installed.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Please explain, I've personally tested my own Freesync display on a GTX1070, you can enable G Sync (though as I said if the display isn't supported then it probably won't work properly) but enabling Freesync requires AMD drivers to be installed.

I’m sorry but I don’t get your question here?

enable FreeSync on your monitor go to nvidia panel and enable G sync there. 

Hey presto....

not ALL monitors will work. 

3 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I’m sorry but I don’t get your question here?

enable FreeSync on your monitor go to nvidia panel and enable G sync there. 

Hey presto....

not ALL monitors will work. 

Freesync and G Sync are not the same thing.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Freesync and G Sync are not the same thing.

in the OSD of your monitor, there you should switch FreeSync to on.

connect via DP and then in the nvidia control panel it should let you enable G sync, even if monitor is NOT compatible. If it will work depends on the monitor etc etc.

It works for me, and for many others with 10xx or 20xx cards

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

in the OSD of your monitor, there you should switch FreeSync to on.

connect via DP and then in the nvidia control panel it should let you enable G sync, even if monitor is NOT compatible. If it will work depends on the monitor etc etc.

It works for me, and for many others with 10xx or 20xx cards

Which is exactly what I originally said?

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Which is exactly what I originally said?

‘You cannot use FreeSync with an nvidia gpu’

4DF1BCDB-B244-4E9A-B747-3C3383CC6532.png

22 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

you cannot use Freesync with an Nvidia GPU though.

Nvidia enabled compatibility with Freesync and GPUs that are Pascal & Turing a few months ago, I have Freesync enabled with my 1070 right now. They have a few 'certified' monitors that are guaranteed to work, and some of the other monitors work fine too

1 hour ago, Dinesh1 said:

I dont want the fps to go above 60 in gta5

Lg27uk650 60hz monitor

Gtx1650

You can enable Freesync in monitor settings, then limit FPS via MSI Afterburner.

The following video is accurate up until clicking 'Show in On-Screen Display', or 1:35.

To get to the MSI Afterburner properties page which the video shows, just click the settings icon underneath 'Fan Speed'

After you follow the instructions up to 1:35, click the header that says 'On-Screen Display', and set a button to toggle framerate limiter.

You can then click 'More' at the bottom of the page and set your framerate cap, then close the settings page and you should be good to go.

Keep in mind MSI Afterburner has to be running to enable this framerate cap, but minimizing Afterburner removes it from the taskbar(it can be opened after that from the small icon thingies next to the date and time)

No, Nvidia enabled G Sync on Freesync compatible displays, that does not mean you are using Freesync, that means you are using G Sync.

Active Sync is the standard, Freesync is basically Active Sync renamed and G Sync is Nvidias proprietary implementation of Active Sync.

When you enable Freesync in your monitors OSD it sends a signal to the GPU saying I'm Active Sync ready and Nvidias driver turns on the G Sync option however you are still using G Sync, that's what the option is called in the driver because that's what it is. If Nvidia were using Freesync then they'd call it Freesync.

Freesync and G Sync are not the same thing and actually work very differently to each other, that's the reason why Nvidia are certifying displays to ensure they work OK. If it was straight Freesync on an Nvidia GPU then any Freesync monitor would work without issue.

My understanding is that the driver is converting the G Sync signal to an Active Sync signal on the fly, as far as the monitor is concerned it is receiving a Freesync signal however the work is being done by the driver, not the display itself.

Nothing I have said is incorrect. You cannot use Freesync on an Nvidia GPU, you can use G Sync on some Freesync compatible displays.

Nvidia even call them G Sync compatible displays in their own marketing.